I'm thinking about putting up an ad soon, but if I get a bite what is the go in terms of meeting up? Exchange phone numbers and arrange to meet in a public place first with a friend? Temporarily the practice space is my garage so I'm uncertain if my house is the best place to meet for the first time.

Basically, what do?
West Ham United
Found my drummer three years ago on Craigslist. We're best friends now :3

oh, and he happens to be one of the best local drummers. that was also a plus.
When you deal meeting people over the internet, if it's just you and that person, I wouldn't want them at my house. I'm a very anxious person so I'd wait until you know he's not a serial killer first.

Thoughts are scrambled. If that made no sense... Then I need sleep.
Quote by King Donkey
I'm thinking about putting up an ad soon, but if I get a bite what is the go in terms of meeting up? Exchange phone numbers and arrange to meet in a public place first with a friend? Temporarily the practice space is my garage so I'm uncertain if my house is the best place to meet for the first time.

Basically, what do?

Third party place is best place to meet, if they're psycho and want to stab you there should at least be witnesses around this way
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by King Donkey

Basically, what do?

The traditional 'first meeting' place for musicians is the pub.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The traditional 'first meeting' place for musicians is the pub.

That would be nice, but TS is 17 lol
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13

Pretty much.

Don't have a license right now either but I plan on getting my provisionals towards the end of the year.
West Ham United
I'd really not recommend meeting this person in your home.
I've had a few bad encounters with people when I was looking to form a band.

Always always search the persons email through Facebook to kind of get a scoop on what they are like and if you both seem like agreeable people.

Also, don't be scared to just ask people to leave.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'd really not recommend meeting this person in your home.
I've had a few bad encounters with people when I was looking to form a band.

Always always search the persons email through Facebook to kind of get a scoop on what they are like and if you both seem like agreeable people.

Also, don't be scared to just ask people to leave.

Thanks, mate. In your opinion is it best not to exchange phone numbers then? As it stands I'm going to be leaving my number on the ad.
West Ham United
Definitely somewhere public. If you're too young for a pub, try a coffee shop.

If you get lucky (like I did ) and find an established band that's looking to replace someone who's leaving, the best thing to do is arrange to go to one of their gigs and introduce yourself beforehand or during the break.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ah I probably should have pointed out as well that it's my friends and I looking for one person to complete the lineup, not me going out and finding an existing band.

Any word on putting my mobile on it?
West Ham United
Meet in a public place and wander around and just talk to them. If the first thing you do is jam, you don't have such a good idea of them - it's easier if you have a rapport and chemistry first. I've found 99% of the musicians I've played with online and never had a problem. But yeah, best not invite them home before you trust them
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Personally I wouldn't put my mobile on the ad itself, you're leaving yourself open to cold callers finding it & bombarding you with annoying calls.

Don't know if there's an Australian equivalent, but in the UK there's a site called joinmyband. If there's something similar, you'd place your ad on there & they'd contact you through the site. Then you can exchange mobile numbers with the people you're interested in.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Oddly enough, this advice also all works for casual encounters.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Third party place is best place to meet, if they're psycho and want to stab you there should at least be witnesses around this way
Link removed, DG
Ill play the microphones for you. Peeps tell me I sounds like michael akerfielder
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by skylerjames13

Being 17 never stopped me going to the pub.... .... still, the point is that some kind of social meeting place is ideal, it could be a youth club, a cafe, whatever.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Being 17 never stopped me going to the pub.... .... still, the point is that some kind of social meeting place is ideal, it could be a youth club, a cafe, whatever.

It's moreso the fact that it's illegal for him to go there

Well, I'm assuming that bar = pub

You're not allowed if you're under 18, and they almost always ID you
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
It's moreso the fact that it's illegal for him to go there

Well, I'm assuming that bar = pub

You're not allowed if you're under 18, and they almost always ID you

You're not allowed to drink alcohol if you're under 18 (which also never stopped me when I was 17 ) but is there an actual law against just being in the same building as alcohol?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
You're not allowed to drink alcohol if you're under 18 (which also never stopped me when I was 17 ) but is there an actual law against just being in the same building as alcohol?

In some establishments yes

for example, there are two bars in my town, and you must be 18 to enter

there is a Canadian Legion (I guess you could say it's like a pub, I think) where I can go, but I cannot drink (if I was still under 18)
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
In some establishments yes

for example, there are two bars in my town, and you must be 18 to enter

there is a Canadian Legion (I guess you could say it's like a pub, I think) where I can go, but I cannot drink (if I was still under 18)

Surely if you can enter one but not the other it's a case of company policy rather than actual 'law' though?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Surely if you can enter one but not the other it's a case of company policy rather than actual 'law' though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(establishment)#Canada

Laws in many jurisdictions prohibit minors from entering a bar.

In my town, it is illegal for minors to enter the bar

The Canadian Legion is classified as a pub I believe

minors are allowed to enter, but may not drink (unless accompanied by their parent(s) if the jurisdiction allows, I believe)

edit: I've drank at the Legion under age before, with my mother present (there was some kind of celebration, I can't remember) but she HAD to be there. When she left, I had to leave as I was not allowed to stay there inebriated.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Last edited by skylerjames13 at Aug 18, 2013,
Quote by skylerjames13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(establishment)#Canada

In my town, it is illegal for minors to enter the bar

The Canadian Legion is classified as a pub I believe

minors are allowed to enter, but may not drink (unless accompanied by their parent(s) if the jurisdiction allows, I believe)

edit: I've drank at the Legion under age before, with my mother present (there was some kind of celebration, I can't remember) but she HAD to be there. When she left, I had to leave as I was not allowed to stay there inebriated.

Ahhh. I see.
Here in the UK, a 'bar' is simply defined as an area that serves alcoholic drinks within establishments such as hotels, restaurants or pubs. You can enter the buildings that contain a bar under the legal drinking age but you can't drink alcohol. Unless you're having a meal, then it's legal for someone to drink a limited amount of wine, beer or cider with a meal if they are over the age of 16.
Yeah I see what you mean.

I think maybe it's just a different use of words between our two countries, or something, I dunno
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16