So my gf's mother plays guitar, and she has an amazing selection. (fender strat 92, 2 Taylors 2000+ euro's, godin and a few more.

What she does need is a new amp. She currently plays either through computer FX or through an AER amp. While the AER amp (ss) is one of the nicest neutral amps I heard (amazing for acoustic/semi acoustic amplification) Her strat for instance sounds too clean and flat through it no richness in the highs and far too little dynamic response.

The amp imo actually neglects all the nice features the strat has.

So what does she want?

She likes the sound of Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, George Benson, but she said herself she is not sure if it's the gear sound or the playing that she likes. I agreed with this.

She really wants a nice clean tone,

She plays no metal, and the most gain would probably be classic rock sounds, if she touches the drive part at all. (more of a rhythm/fingerstyle kind of player).

Personally I think she should buy a nice small tube amp, and use a pedal for grit in the future. Only for home use, and preferably not too big.

She does seem like more of a bluesy clean tone (slight grit, american voiced), but this is just my observation and might be off.

A one channel amp might be ideal actually, and I do want basic EQ due to her having quite tonally different axes, just to make sure we could get rid of low end if we wanted for example. Reverb option on it would be nice as well.

Budget? Well it seems unlimited since she bought most of her expensive guitars quite impulsive. Though she did that because she really felt connection with it, and she's quite picky.

I personally do not want to suggest an expensive amp, so under 150-200 euro's please.

I'm not sure if she'd go used. Her strat is 2nd hand for example, but she has played it. She definitely needs to try something out before buying, and if she likes it it doesn't matter if it has aids or w/e.

TLDR;
Style (clean sounds) more towards bluesy/american cleans, but she might like something totally else. she will be using 95% clean though. So single channel would be okay, drive would be nice add.
Amsterdam radius 100km. If the amp is not boutique I can pretty much find it, so just suggest some nice not too exclusive amps. We would test out in shop first, and then find the best deal.
Budget below 150 - 200 euro's. However do you know something that is really good price/quality then a 100 or so more wouldn't be a problem.
Preference
Cleans all the way, not a problem if it has more channels, but it should not influence the price too much since she would only use drive twice a month.

Oh and not to loud and to big and heavy. She's not 20 anymore, and she often brings gear up/down stairs. This would seriously turn her off of playing it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Her strat for instance sounds too clean and flat through it no richness in the highs and far too little dynamic response.

The amp imo actually neglects all the nice features the strat has.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Budget below 150 - 200 euro's. However do you know something that is really good price/quality then a 100 or so more wouldn't be a problem.

I'm afraid those 2 wont mix well.
I think you'd have to look at something more expensive than that to achieve sparkly and rich cleans.

I wont leave a suggestion for an amp, as I am not really too familiar with the type of amps you'd be looking for...but I am sure the budget needs to come up significantly.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
I'm afraid those 2 wont mix well.
I think you'd have to look at something more expensive than that to achieve sparkly and rich cleans.

I wont leave a suggestion for an amp, as I am not really too familiar with the type of amps you'd be looking for...but I am sure the budget needs to come up significantly.

+1

If she has spent so much on the guitars, I'm wondering why're you asking for an el cheapo amp. Granted that technique will influence your tone, but getting an amp that doesn't match up to the full potential of your gear is negating your original objective (which was to maximise the potential of gear she already owns).

If she has such nice guitars, and insists on trying the amp, why are you looking for amps which will impede the full potential of the guitar. If she has so many nice guitars, I think you should be looking in the range of Two-Rocks or Dr Zs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 15, 2013,
Up for the two rock, or maybe a bassman.

If you seriously don't wanna spand money, have a look at the BH5/BH15 by blackheart.
The cleans are nice indeed for the price, but she'll most likely want to achieve a better sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Fender Blues Jr?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Bugera V22 is worth a look.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Vox AC4 perhaps?

Small, portable, voxy clean tone. Has tubes. Also, purty vintage stylings.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 15, 2013,
vht special 6 maybe

fame tube 5- available from musicstore- basically a glorified fender champion 600, and there's an upgraded version available with a better jensen speaker and upgraded tubes. I don't like musicstore, but that would work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I found she did not know what she wanted for in an amp, so that's why I didn't want to suggest a super expensive amp.

Playing an amp not really designed for electric I found was on the other (bad) side of the spectrum, cause it does not bring out anything of the guitar.

I dare to say even guitar rig brings out more of the electric then the AER amp.

I thought a small one ch. tube amp would be nice, and in the end she chooses w/e likes, which might very well be in the 1000's, I just wanted some suggestions.

To the other people thanks for the suggestions I will write them down.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Get a Fender BLues Deluxe Reissue. Nice cleans, not too pricey.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic