Hey guys, I've been recording an EP with my band the last few days and the amp I have been playing through is a Bognor Shiva. This amp has a stunning distortion channel that I have been using as my main tone.

Obviously it would take some time to save up enough money to afford an amp of this quality. Luckily I have a 70s Japanese Guyatone Twin Reverb copy that my dad fixed up and it takes pedals amazingly. I was wondering if there are any pedals that would be similar to the distortion channel of the Bognor Shiva.

Bands I like (well bands my band/sound takes influences from): God is an astronaut, And So I Watch You From Afar, Maybe she will, we also draw a some punk influence aswell i.e. METZ and Refused.

Budget: €100-€150 and I don't have any preferences for new or used.

I also have lots of experience in building pedals so I would prefer (not neccesisty) if the pedal could be built to cut down costs.

Thanks
No pedal will give you the same sound as tube amp distortion, especially not one as high quality as a Bogner Shiva. That said, there are still some very good distortion pedals out there.

Do they sound worse than a tube amp? That's subjective. Personally, I say no. But they definitely sound different.

Some of my favorite distortion pedals:

-Big Muff Pi
-Vox Ice 9
-Analogman Sun Face
-Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
-Anything combined with an Ibanez TS-808
-Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde

and if you're really willing to shell out the cash for an AMAZING high-gain distortion pedal...

- Wampler Triple Wreck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwF2Q-8DAo
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Up for the keely modded DS-1 if you're on the cheap.

That said, joyo makes a nice plexi stile distortion which is called hot plexi if I remember well.
This would do if you're even more on the cheap, and you could also buy that plus an overdrive pedal (or two hot plexis) to raise the gain.

If you can get more money, both the bones london dual distortion and the triple wreck are two hell of solid choices.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

That said, joyo makes a nice plexi stile distortion which is called hot plexi if I remember well.
This would do if you're even more on the cheap, and you could also buy that plus an overdrive pedal (or two hot plexis) to raise the gain.

yeah, though it can be quite bright, and it's probably not as modern-sounding as the shiva. the crunch distortion (crunchbox clone) might be a better idea for more modern, hot rod marshally tones.

or you could get the real thing or the supercrunchbox under budget. I've only tried the joyo but it's pretty nice. and the super crunchbox has a fair few more options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look for a tube Pre-amp. It's one of the easiest ways to get that "Tube Sound" without running an actual tube amp. Mesa makes a couple, Matchless has one, Blackstar makes a few that are a bit cheaper than the previous I mentioned. Dean Markley came out with a line of pedals that run on 'tube diodes' that actually sound pretty decent. Or just ask your dad for some cash, trade in your amp and buy the Bogner if that's what you're set on. You'll never get the exact tone without the exact amp setup, you can only get close. Tube Pre-amps are a great way to start if you're not able to get the cash. Good luck!
Ayses- I've tried all of those pedals before and none of them would get close. My dad has also built a Wampler Triple Wreck and the Dr.Boogie (triple rec style) pedal aswell. I'll have to make one up and test it, might just be right.

NakedintheRain- Never heard of weehbo but I've started looking into their stuff most of it sounds real nice, thanks.

dmc92484- I never see myself selling the Guyatone amp it's just too nice of a clean sound and can't be be beaten But thanks for recommending the pre-amp route, I'll definitely research it more.

Thanks for all the help guys

Edit: Not sure if you guys would know but would it be possible to somehow setup my Guyatone amp and a hi-gain preamp of some sort. I know I can run the preamp out into the FX loop return but would it be possible to switch between the Guyatone amp preamp (clean) and the other hi-gain preamp (distorted) in a live situation? Hope this makes sense.
Last edited by R_Gallagher_Fan at Aug 15, 2013,
Yes you could run a pre of any sort through your power amp indeed, but switching between the two wold require a signal splitter to run your guitar through both the pre and the amp at the same time, and an fx loop on/off switch.

Or an ABY switch instead of a splitter, to change the signal path whenever you change "channel".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.