Basically A-levels results in the UK are out today and a lot of people have been raving about it.

Some dude on my twitter goes on to somewhat rightly claim, grades don't matter, and it's who you know.

He goes on to say that he got kicked out of college with no qualifications but has ended up with a job "better than the majority of most people". Turns out he is an estate agent.

So are estate agents a job everyone wants to be? My mum says a lot of them are reviled because they're getting paid commission on a really easy job and are smarmy people.
I have a friend who was an estate agent. He hated it. And you don't start off as an estate agent, anyways. A trainee estate agent probably makes little over minimum wage. The hours aren't 'standard' either, the estate agent works around his clients.
Anybody who uses the phrase "better than the majority of most people," didn't belong in college anyway.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The money if you're good at it is good obviously but clients would piss me off I reckon.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

My college was kind enough to not even ****ing mention that results day was today.
Probably a nice way to land on your feet if you've no qualifications. I've not much experience with Estate Agents, but in my experience small town "professionals" have a huge tendency to be complete cunts.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Your friend literally fits the stereotype of High Street estate agent to a tee. Holier than thou attitude, brags about his life and possessions, but the car he drives and the petrol in it is paid by his company. £100 Burton suit and talks to loud on his phone about clients and says words like "Ka-ching!"

Also it's not "Who you know" it's hard work that gets you into good positions. Grades or not, Rich or poor, those with a harder work ethic make it further than those who don't 90% of the time. The harder you work the luckier you get. I left school with 4 GCSEs, managed to get into college, finished my course and realised in the real world a music qualification isn't much. So i got a job. Started out canvassing, worked my way up to a sales exec. Done very well, company got sold, got made redundant, started at Tesco, worked a shitty job for 3 years, got a job for a software company and now i'm an account executive and sales executive in a job i'm extremely happy in.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by cliff_em_all
Your friend literally fits the stereotype of High Street estate agent to a tee. Holier than thou attitude, brags about his life and possessions, but the car he drives and the petrol in it is paid by his company. £100 Burton suit and talks to loud on his phone about clients and says words like "Ka-ching!"

Also goes clubbing, when he doesn't manage to go home with a girl says stuff like "all the girls are idiots" etc.
Quote by cliff_em_all

The petrol may be, but in my jobhunting, I've seen estate agency positions all requiring that applicants have their own transport.

Rest of the post is spot on though
Quote by cliff_em_all

Oh god I know someone exactly like this - he sells cars at a VW dealership.

His facebook feed is always full of shite like "Just picked up a new 63 plate Scirroco - no biggy" - yeah, but it's not yours you pompous dick.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The petrol may be, but in my jobhunting, I've seen estate agency positions all requiring that applicants have their own transport.

Rest of the post is spot on though

I've got a few mates who do it who get £xxxx pound towards a smart car. Maybe that's after a few years.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
You have to be the lying, manipulative type to be an estate agent.

Estate agents are cunts.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Basically A-levels results in the UK are out today and a lot of people have been raving about it.

Some dude on my twitter goes on to somewhat rightly claim, grades don't matter, and it's who you know.

He goes on to say that he got kicked out of college with no qualifications but has ended up with a job "better than the majority of most people". Turns out he is an estate agent.

So are estate agents a job everyone wants to be? My mum says a lot of them are reviled because they're getting paid commission on a really easy job and are smarmy people.

I've had contact with a few British ones.

My experience? They all lie. Some lie more than others. Some lies are white lies and hardly harmful, others can be quite grave.

I was talking to one guy, he makes about 2-3% commission. Doesn't sound like a lot, but if you get a good reputation, experience and sell in good areas - you can make lots of money.

Shit, sell two houses worth 300,000 and you've made the average salary.

However, I know of another guy who made about 1%, and didn't seem to sell much anyway.

You definitely need social skills. You need house skills - learn as much about houses as possible. You need to understand the housing market, what makes house prices go up and down. You'd be amazed how stupidly some people get burned.

My advice? Be as honest as possible. You can have good passionate estate agents, and you can have scummy, lazy estate agents. Much like you can have both of any other profession.

Also, if you've had a look at the how Britain has changed in the lats few years, you'll learn the money in the rental sector is growing faster that the buying and selling. That's something else I would consider.

I know one couple who have opened a rental management agency three years ago, and they are the 3rd best in all of Glasgow out of 400 agencies. Lots of them are horrible, but again, if you are engaged, skilled, passionate, driven you can work it out for yourself. Honesty and dedication is a big factor.

EDIT: Also, the guy you've mentioned in the OP sounds like a knob.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 15, 2013,
I like how people are proud of not getting degrees because it's "not necessary in order to land a good job". Sure, you can get a good job without a degree, but those idiots probably won't.
Exploitative, smarmy, greased up, two-faced, greedy, lazy, obnoxious, manipulative cuntsatchels.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I know people who've done that job and I know one guy who is a manager at one agency.

They have a high staff turnover because it's the sort of job where you are constantly being shouted at to hit your monthly targets and you'll either quit from the pressure or get fired for not bringing in enough money/losing your shit with the boss. That atmosphere is probably why people despise them so much because estate agents end up pulling any dirty move they can get away with to hit their targets. It's the same situation with used car salespeople, telesales, and most commission heavy roles I've seen.

If you've got the right personality you can do alright from your commission though.

I personally think things would be better for everyone if there weren't so many estate agencies as that atmosphere and the overall competition they have, imo ends up driving up housing prices. In my local high street area there are about 10 estate agencies for a street of maybe 100 stores, which is crazy seeing as every other business type you don't get more than 2 or 3. Although, I don't know if my area is a representative as everyone wants to live around here; it's pretty popular for schools and settling down and all that.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o