Long story short:

Bought a black Jackson DKMG many years ago with dead emgs, it was beat up like no other guitar I've seen. I nicknamed the guitar Rihanna due to its condition.

One morning many weeks ago I suddenly decided to start sanding it down with a random orbital sander and midway through it finally came to me "What the bloody hell am I doing?"

I have never picked up a can of spray paint before this, I had no expectations. I did some research on refinishing and ended up buying:

1 can of Duplicolor sandable primer
2 cans of Duplicolor Metal Specks Burnt Copper
3 cans of Watco Clear Lacquer (Nitro, surely smells like it)

I live in canada so I have limited access to stuff like reranch.

Some 3M 600 grit wet/dry
Some 3M 1200 grit wet/dry
Some 3M 2000 grit wet/dry
Some 3M 3000 grit wet/dry

Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Refinish cost: about $80 and 2 months of patience.

Seymour Duncan Distortion & Jazz.
Volume/Volume Controls

I have a new jackson decal coming in the mail. Will need to reclear.

Ended up carving out a cutout for extra fret access.

Final Thoughts:

Since I had absolutely no experience with this, I thought i was completely going to botch this and end up in a very bad mood for a couple of days. But with lots of patience and guidance from numerous forums, I now have another beauty to add to my arsenal.

Durability: I have to push with all of my strength to dent the finish with my nail, not as strong as factory finishes but quite strong.
???
Last edited by solidrane at Aug 15, 2013,
Great job man! Especially for your first time.

Looks wicked
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A round of applause for your first refinish!!! Great work! Patience was the key factor I was lacking with my first refin.... Caused me to resand and paint three times! Lol.
Quote by solidrane
I nicknamed the guitar Rihanna due to its condition.

Zing!
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Nice.

I am about to redo an old Fender in exactly that same color and brand of paint, except I am going to use a can of metal flake clear coat over top.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Looks good man! I don't care for the orange, but it's pretty impressive.
Looks like you did a good job- kudos!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That's a damn sexy finish. Good job!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the dinky before the refinish.

But, I have decided to dive straight into the realm of guitar building. I have little experience with the tools for the process so this is going to be a learning experience. I'll make sure to post again when it's finished:

Telecaster
-Flamed maple top and back, sandwiched in between is 1 1/4" of african mahogany.
-Mighty Mite neck
-Ebony fretboard
-9.5"-12" compound radius
-med-jumbo frets
Humbucker bridge/Single coil neck (Maybe humbucker?)

Exact specs are undecided but here are some pics of what's gone on in the past couple days:

Ready for the ride home

Top being glued to the mahogany.

That's it for now. See you guys it a couple months.
???
Righteous! HNGD Looks awesome!
Gear sig... 'cause you know, originality:

Jackson JS32R Dinky (w/EMG 81 and brass parts)
Ovation Applause AE128
Line 6 Spider IV 30 (Cleans are awesome!)
Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby Wah
The refinish looks spectacular, nice job

Personally I would pass on the Mighty Mite neck, they aren't bad but there's better options out there. For about $80-100 more you could have a custom neck built by Musikraft or USACG and have an infinitely better guitar. Or go ahead and try to make your own neck, it's really not hard at all. I find it harder to rout out a guitar body and cut the shape than it is to carve and shape a neck.

EDIT: If the idea of cutting fretslots bothers you, you could always order a preslotted fretboard and go from there. This one is ebony, compound 10-14.5" radius, and ready to be glued to a neck blank. It's really not hard at all, and you can probably find cheaper preslotted boards elsewhere http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar_fingerboards/Slotted_Fingerboard_for_Fender_Guitar,_Compound_Radius.html
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 21, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
The refinish looks spectacular, nice job

Personally I would pass on the Mighty Mite neck, they aren't bad but there's better options out there. For about $80-100 more you could have a custom neck built by Musikraft or USACG and have an infinitely better guitar. Or go ahead and try to make your own neck, it's really not hard at all. I find it harder to rout out a guitar body and cut the shape than it is to carve and shape a neck.

EDIT: If the idea of cutting fretslots bothers you, you could always order a preslotted fretboard and go from there. This one is ebony, compound 10-14.5" radius, and ready to be glued to a neck blank. It's really not hard at all, and you can probably find cheaper preslotted boards elsewhere http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar_fingerboards/Slotted_Fingerboard_for_Fender_Guitar,_Compound_Radius.html

No worries, I didn't buy much yet. Just misc. hardware, cts pots, and switch from stewmac and borrowed (stole) a duncan jb from a friend.

A place near me has preslotted fretboards for $20-35 depending on wood and neck blank pieces for relatively the same price. May as well try my hand at a neck while I'm at it.
???
I'd give building the neck a try. I'm also not a big fan of mighty might necks.

I'd second USACG, I'll also add that AllParts necks are great as well if you want to just get something already done.