Firstly, I had my first band practice with the beaut last night and my power and standby lamps were getting brighter and dimmer a fair bit, as if there was some form of power surge, none of the other lights where flickering or dimming and I've never noticed that before at home, is that normal?

Secondly, I had the perfect tone at home, took it to a band situation and immediately lost all definition and clarity, I was just adding bass to the room until I reluctantly boosted the mids, treble and "tone" dials, which sounded like garbage, anyone got any tips on taming this amp and having clarity without horrible tinny-ness?
Quote by justfoldedflags
Secondly, I had the perfect tone at home, took it to a band situation and immediately lost all definition and clarity, I was just adding bass to the room until I reluctantly boosted the mids, treble and "tone" dials, which sounded like garbage, anyone got any tips on taming this amp and having clarity without horrible tinny-ness?

I'm assuming the band practice area was a lot larger that your home practice so you're not hearing your amp as much as you would when it's echoing off your walls and back to you at home.

Other than that it sounds like your band needs to sit down and try to decide who takes where in the mix.
Quote by johnnykbop
I'm assuming the band practice area was a lot larger that your home practice so you're not hearing your amp as much as you would when it's echoing off your walls and back to you at home.

Other than that it sounds like your band needs to sit down and try to decide who takes where in the mix.

You'd be surprised! It is covered in carpet though so I imagine that'll be doing the same thing you mentioned.

We do match things best we can for the layout but we have a pretty loud drummer so everything ends up louder than it should be I guess
where were your mids before you reluctantly turned them up?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Turn the bass down on your amp and turn the mids/treble down a tad on the bass amp. On their own, this will sound bad, but sitting in the mix, it will sound great. Take a load of bass frequencies out of your singer's tone too, if the PA you're using has an EQ that is.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I used to have the ironheart and the lamp does that on pretty much all ironhearts. Also the tone quiet and loud is completely different. You have to re-dial everything for different volumes. The boost on it is terrible and adds a lot of mud.

It's a shame because the amp had so much potential, but Laney cheaped out and got it made in China to save money. I ended up getting rid of mine.
Quote by gregs1020
where were your mids before you reluctantly turned them up?

Mids were around 2/3

Quote by Lavatain
Turn the bass down on your amp and turn the mids/treble down a tad on the bass amp. On their own, this will sound bad, but sitting in the mix, it will sound great. Take a load of bass frequencies out of your singer's tone too, if the PA you're using has an EQ that is.

I'll try that next time, thanks!

Quote by RockGuitarist09
I used to have the ironheart and the lamp does that on pretty much all ironhearts. Also the tone quiet and loud is completely different. You have to re-dial everything for different volumes. The boost on it is terrible and adds a lot of mud.

It's a shame because the amp had so much potential, but Laney cheaped out and got it made in China to save money. I ended up getting rid of mine.

Yeah that boost sucks, awaiting my Maxon OD808 coming back from repair, see what difference that makes, thanks for the lamp info, at least I don't have to worry now!
Quote by justfoldedflags
Mids were around 2/3

2-3 on the dial or 2-3 o'clock?

I hated mids a long time ago, but after I reluctantly dropped the bass a bit and upped the mids, I sound much better and I sit in a band mix really well. Remember the guitar is the mids of the band, so use them. Or like you have found out you sound like shite.

Another thing get everyone's levels set and you will hear everything better and more clear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The ironheart is naturally quite low on mids. So scooping them is only gonna make matters worse in a band situation
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I actually own a 120watt Ironheart head.
I had the same thing with the standby and power l.e.d's to eventually my standby one stopped work then the power one was fine (wasn't to fussed about that though)
Regarding the tone I play lead guitar and a thrash/power metal band and I generally use 5-8-8 for rhythm and 6-6-9 for the lead both at home and the studio and that works fine for me.
It could come down to the tubes or cab.
Are you using the stock ruby tubes or have you swapped them?
What cab do you use? Do you take your own cab to the studio Or do you use the one they have there?
Quote by Robbgnarly
2-3 on the dial or 2-3 o'clock?

I hated mids a long time ago, but after I reluctantly dropped the bass a bit and upped the mids, I sound much better and I sit in a band mix really well. Remember the guitar is the mids of the band, so use them. Or like you have found out you sound like shite.

Another thing get everyone's levels set and you will hear everything better and more clear.

Both!
I've always used mid's in my tone regardless of the millions of "scoop the mids for more metulz" suggestions

Quote by shredzilla19
I actually own a 120watt Ironheart head.
I had the same thing with the standby and power l.e.d's to eventually my standby one stopped work then the power one was fine (wasn't to fussed about that though)
Regarding the tone I play lead guitar and a thrash/power metal band and I generally use 5-8-8 for rhythm and 6-6-9 for the lead both at home and the studio and that works fine for me.
It could come down to the tubes or cab.
Are you using the stock ruby tubes or have you swapped them?
What cab do you use? Do you take your own cab to the studio Or do you use the one they have there?

Thanks for the info on the lamps, at least I definitely know it's not an issue that I should be worrying about, my last tube head was a Bugera that blew after a day so I'm a bit nervous about anything that could be wrong

When you say 5-8-8, is that as if the dials were going from 1 to 10? So as it is on the amp 0 - +3 - +3?

I'm using the stock tubes at the moment and a Marshall cab, though I'm not entirely sure on the model, I suspect MG though unfortunately
Try your amp through a cab with V30 (or clones of) speakers in it. They have a midrange spike to them & will make your amp sound massively different to the MG cab you currently use
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by justfoldedflags
I'm using the stock tubes at the moment and a Marshall cab, though I'm not entirely sure on the model, I suspect MG though unfortunately

I suspect that is the biggest problem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Did you just necrobump 3 threads just to post your stupid clip. If I were a mod I'd ip ban you right now
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ yep
and it isn't even a good sounding clip and it is played off time a lot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate