Hi.

I have been playing guitar(s) for 9 years now, and I change strings, intonate, adjusting action, solder pickups, pots etc.

1 year ago i purchased a Schecter Jeff Loomis signature 7 string (floyd rose), and it arrived with a set of 10`s. I mainly play in standard tuning beadgbe, and since it has a 26.5 scale lenght, I find 09`s to be more comfortable (GHS boomers 09-58).

I have desperately tried my best to set this guitar up with low action without any buzz, and no luck so far. In order for it to be buzz free i must have a lot of underbow, and sort of high action. It also have this very annoying buzz on the 14th and 15th fret of the high e string (in the solo zone). I think this must be caused by some of the frets moving since it passing QC.

So my burning question is: Is it worth to get it professionally set up? It probably needs some filing of the frets etc and in Norway that costs 185 USD! a set up in addition is 80-90 USD. It is also possible to send it to a place that has a plek machine, but that is 320 usd!

Thanks for your input!
Definitely sounds like a high fret. You obviously know how to set up good action when all the frets are in line with each other by the sounds of it. Go to the Stewart Macdonald website and look for some fret filing tools, you should be able to order them for cheaper than what those set-ups are worth. That's just extortionate. This is what I did and I'm in the UK, delivery charge wasn't too bad.

If you don't even know about filing frets (but you'd probably be up for giving it a go) then have a look at some youtube videos. You'd need a fret rocker as well as a fret file.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Definitely sounds like a high fret. You obviously know how to set up good action when all the frets are in line with each other by the sounds of it. Go to the Stewart Macdonald website and look for some fret filing tools, you should be able to order them for cheaper than what those set-ups are worth. That's just extortionate. This is what I did and I'm in the UK, delivery charge wasn't too bad.

If you don't even know about filing frets (but you'd probably be up for giving it a go) then have a look at some youtube videos. You'd need a fret rocker as well as a fret file.

Thx for the advice. The thought have crossed my mind, and I have done some research regarding filing frets on youtube with both a file and sandpaper. But this is the most expensive guitar I have, and I guess I`m kind of nervous mocking about too much on it. But I don`t know whats worse; not playing your most expensive guitar or trying to fix it yourself :P It does have HUGE frets, so If I muck up it can be fixed I guess.
Quote by Johnniz
Thx for the advice. The thought have crossed my mind, and I have done some research regarding filing frets on youtube with both a file and sandpaper. But this is the most expensive guitar I have, and I guess I`m kind of nervous mocking about too much on it. But I don`t know whats worse; not playing your most expensive guitar or trying to fix it yourself :P It does have HUGE frets, so If I muck up it can be fixed I guess.

I'm not gonna tell you to mess up your instrument if you're not totally comfortable doing it. I know I started on my cheapest guitar with the fret filing. If you know how a fret rocker functions, try and find something that'll do that job. Something like a credit/debit card. This will allow you to check for high frets without spending the money on a more sophisticated fret rocker and its delivery charge.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Johnniz

I have desperately tried my best to set this guitar up with low action without any buzz, and no luck so far. In order for it to be buzz free i must have a lot of underbow, and sort of high action.
So my burning question is: Is it worth to get it professionally set up? It probably needs some filing of the frets etc and in Norway that costs 185 USD! a set up in addition is 80-90 USD. It is also possible to send it to a place that has a plek machine, but that is 320 usd!

You're probably going to make matters worse by screwing with it yourself. Bite the bullet, take it to the place that has a PLEK machine, pay the money and be done with it.

I think it's pretty likely you've either got a too-high nut or several frets that aren't level.

I've had several guitars PLEK'd now, and they've ranged in price from an over $4K Gibson Axcess Custom to a $200 B-stock Agile. The result has been, in each case, a guitar that played beautifully with very low action. I'd also suggest that you have the frets superglued (www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0043.html ) at the same time; nothing like a weather change to produce a flyer fret and ruin a $320 PLEK job. I've had it done on my guitars and on the ones that were done three years ago, only the most minor adjustments have been done since.

I've begun to figure the cost of a really good initial setup (often including a PLEK) into the overall cost of any guitar that I buy that's new to me. The price and brand of the guitar have proven to be immaterial. To date only one new guitar has had fretwork so good that there was no point, and that was Carvin. I'm sure there are others, but these will largely be guitars that leave the factory and arrive in your hands within a few days. Those that come from stores have likely been in inventory long enough to be spaghetti.
the second two last fret on my guitar is a little high i don't even think i have play that far up would it be ok to use sand paper to flat it , I don't have any re crown tools but i never use the 23 fret so i am thinking i could flat it a bit .
Quote by dspellman
You're probably going to make matters worse by screwing with it yourself. Bite the bullet, take it to the place that has a PLEK machine, pay the money and be done with it.

I think it's pretty likely you've either got a too-high nut or several frets that aren't level.

I've had several guitars PLEK'd now, and they've ranged in price from an over $4K Gibson Axcess Custom to a $200 B-stock Agile. The result has been, in each case, a guitar that played beautifully with very low action. I'd also suggest that you have the frets superglued (www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0043.html ) at the same time; nothing like a weather change to produce a flyer fret and ruin a $320 PLEK job. I've had it done on my guitars and on the ones that were done three years ago, only the most minor adjustments have been done since.

I've begun to figure the cost of a really good initial setup (often including a PLEK) into the overall cost of any guitar that I buy that's new to me. The price and brand of the guitar have proven to be immaterial. To date only one new guitar has had fretwork so good that there was no point, and that was Carvin. I'm sure there are others, but these will largely be guitars that leave the factory and arrive in your hands within a few days. Those that come from stores have likely been in inventory long enough to be spaghetti.

Thanks for your advice. I am strongly considering it