I've been looking into getting a new guitar recently. I'm going with blues-rock because I already have an Epiphone Nighthawk reissue which does a pretty decent job for practically everything else, but lacks the brighter tones that you need to get a decent Clapton sound, or the sustain nessacery for Gary Moore-esque solos. I was thinking maybe a Fender or semi-hollowbody like the Sheraton?

€400 is about $550 by the way.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pawn_shop_51_bk.htm

one of the older japanese-made ones. Haven't tried it, but MIJ is rarely a bad thing, especially on a guitar at that price. It does have a slightly idiosyncratic spec, though (which is kind of the point as it's in the pawn shop series)- I doubt you'll get a better guitar (new) for that kind of money, but that doesn't mean a more normal-spec guitar might not be a better idea if you only have one other guitar (though if you have a nighthawk maybe you don't care about more "normal" guitars anyway).

you could maybe get a godin for 400 euros too, which'd be worth considering. you can sometimes get deals on blue label fretkings for around that kind of money (normally starting around £400, which is more like 470 euros), which also might be worth considering. they have a more "normal" spec.

EDIT: what amp are you using? gary moore does tend to use humbuckers, so a les paul or similar (or even a superstrat with humbuckers) will help in that regard, but a lot of the sustain comes from the amp, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by TheBegotten
I already have an Epiphone Nighthawk reissue which lacks the brighter tones that you need to get a decent Clapton sound, or the sustain nessacery for Gary Moore-esque solos. I was thinking maybe a Fender or semi-hollowbody like the Sheraton?

Huh? You've got something set up badly on that Nighthawk if you can't get sustain out of it. And I'm talking native guitar sustain, as opposed to gain-fed compressor-laden electronic sustain. Certainly a semi-hollow isn't going to aid you there. VERY odd comment.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc

I was about to say the same!

Or you can go with a Mexican Strat or Tele which are decent for their price.. They'll give you your Clapton tone you want, but for Gary Moore you'll need humbuckers of course.

Maybe try finding a humbucker guitar with coil-spliting? I have a Mustang Pawn Shop and it gives A LOT of tones, from Les Paul-ish humbucker sounds to Tele-twang

Btw; I've played a Made in Korea/China (?) Modern Player Thinline Tele with P90, which to me sounded very appealing, it goes for about € 350
Last edited by AmirT at Aug 15, 2013,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheBegotten
I've been looking into getting a new guitar recently. I'm going with blues-rock because I already have an Epiphone Nighthawk reissue which does a pretty decent job for practically everything else, but lacks the brighter tones that you need to get a decent Clapton sound, or the sustain nessacery for Gary Moore-esque solos. I was thinking maybe a Fender or semi-hollowbody like the Sheraton?

€400 is about $550 by the way.

Fender Modern Player Tele with humbucking pickup with coil-split (bridge), Strat pickup (middle), Tele pickup (neck).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_modern_player_tele_plus_mn_ch.htm
Quote by dspellman
Huh? You've got something set up badly on that Nighthawk if you can't get sustain out of it. And I'm talking native guitar sustain, as opposed to gain-fed compressor-laden electronic sustain. Certainly a semi-hollow isn't going to aid you there. VERY odd comment.

It's not horrible, but its not as high as I'd like
Quote by AmirT
Or you can go with a Mexican Strat or Tele which are decent for their price.. They'll give you your Clapton tone you want, but for Gary Moore you'll need humbuckers of course.

Yeah, I was recommended by my friend to get a fender, but he doesn't have much more experience than I do.
I might just go to a few music shops and see if anything stands out, with so much availible via the internet you're pretty much garunteed to not pick the best choice anyways. The little things you notice just by picking it up and playing for five minutes kind of supercede the specs in my mind.