My switch on my Syn Gates standard is as good as useless and I need to replace it, but the Schecter site says "Vol/Tone (tap)/3-Way Switch", so I'm not sure.
In what way do you mean universal? Obviously some are shaped differently, you can't use a strat-style 3-way on a les paul.

As far as electrically, though, yes. Any 3-way pickup selector switch will work. Some may be wired slightly differently but they all do the same thing. Any one that fits in your guitar will work.
The tips come in different sizes, metric and imperial I believe. In terms of function they work the same.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Universal as in the right size. I know what design to look for, just not if there are any measurement specifications and/or exceptions
???
Quote by a7x_RoCk3r
My switch on my Syn Gates standard is as good as useless and I need to replace it, but the Schecter site says "Vol/Tone (tap)/3-Way Switch", so I'm not sure.

Your Schecter should have a volume knob, a tone knob (with a push-pull) and a 3-way switch. If so, that's what ""Vol/Tone (tap)/3-Way Switch" means.

Just replace it with the same kind of switch. What's the issue again?
I work in an aerospace lab and just finished a job that required so many switches. for a 3 way google a SINGLE POLE TRIPLE THROW(SPTT). where ever you get the switch, look up their datasheet. most switches wouldnt matter on their polarity. As far as I know for the ones i used, didnt require a specific connection.