Hi,
Any idea that Boss Metalzone AC input not working? When i switch it to a 9V battery then everything is ok. Just it can't work with an AC adapter...
I'm pretty sure that my power adapter is working fine as there are still other pedals around.
Boss pedals usually have diode protection on the power input. My guess would be that you've blown the resistor or the diode in that circuit. It could also be a dirty socket but my money would be on a blown component in the protection circuit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They use DC power not AC power. If you're using an AC voltage you've possibly fried something in the adapter stage. I'm no expert though.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Cathbard
Boss pedals usually have diode protection on the power input. My guess would be that you've blown the resistor or the diode in that circuit. It could also be a dirty socket but my money would be on a blown component in the protection circuit.

If the resistor/diode is blown then will it still work with the 9V battery?
Is it possible to repair if the resistor/diode is blown?
Quote by Lavatain
They use DC power not AC power. If you're using an AC voltage you've possibly fried something in the adapter stage. I'm no expert though.

My fault...it should be a AC to DC adapter. I'm using PSA-240 boss adapter.
Quote by Daniellam
If the resistor/diode is blown then will it still work with the 9V battery?
Is it possible to repair if the resistor/diode is blown?

Yeah, I think it will still run on batteries. I'd have to check a schematic to be sure but I'm fairly certain.
Yes, quite easy to replace.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, I think it will still run on batteries. I'd have to check a schematic to be sure but I'm fairly certain.
Yes, quite easy to replace.

Thanks...Is it possible to give some advice how to replace the diode?
It's probably the resistor. If that's what's gone you'll see it, it will be a blackened mess. You'll have to remove the board, remove the old resistor and solder in the replacement. You'll have to look up what value it is because it's unlikely that you'll be able to read the colour code on the old one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just done the trouble shoot on the pedal. The root cause is one of the PCB trace is broken/blown (anyone facing this before??). Trying very hard to do the hard wire connection from point to point but it is too hard for me to do that... end up I burn my finger tip like hell...
So finally I give up and just keep it as spare part....have to go for new pedal...

Anyway thanks Cathbard & Codemonk...Rock on!!
Quote by Daniellam
Just done the trouble shoot on the pedal. The root cause is one of the PCB trace is broken/blown (anyone facing this before??). Trying very hard to do the hard wire connection from point to point but it is too hard for me to do that... end up I burn my finger tip like hell...
So finally I give up and just keep it as spare part....have to go for new pedal...

Anyway thanks Cathbard & Codemonk...Rock on!!

Yes, have done that before and then some.
Had to replace more than half the traces on the power supply an old computer (IBM 5110, before the first real PC).
Something about the building getting struck by lightening and the PC taking a good hit, frying most of the traces on that board. And with no replacement boards or power supplies available ANYWHERE (Even from IBM or any of their parts distributors), I had no choice. It was a very old system and the damn company that carried the insurance on it didn't want to pay off and wanted it repaired instead.
That entire repair job was a complete nightmare.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 25, 2013,
Here's the trick.
Pre-tin the trace where you are going to solder your piece of wire to.
Strip your wire (use single conductor stuff) so that the stripped part is long enough to bridge the gap but don't cut the wire yet, leave enough to grab onto a few inches away from the bit you stripped - say 6"
Put a 45 degree bend in the wire just beyond what it will take to bridge the gap.
Tin the wire.
Lay it in place so it neatly bridges the burnt trace holding onto the overhanging wire to keep it steady
Solder it in place.
Trim off the excess with your cutters.

Easy peasy. It only gets hard when you have to replace several traces like Rob had to with his lightning damage job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Here's the trick.
Pre-tin the trace where you are going to solder your piece of wire to.
Strip your wire (use single conductor stuff) so that the stripped part is long enough to bridge the gap but don't cut the wire yet, leave enough to grab onto a few inches away from the bit you stripped - say 6"
Put a 45 degree bend in the wire just beyond what it will take to bridge the gap.
Tin the wire.
Lay it in place so it neatly bridges the burnt trace holding onto the overhanging wire to keep it steady
Solder it in place.
Trim off the excess with your cutters.

Easy peasy. It only gets hard when you have to replace several traces like Rob had to with his lightning damage job.

Yeah, those little ones are easy. A few traces is easy.

That job is just so burned into my brain.
It took my a month to fix that and the accompanying printer.
The inside of that thing looked like it was built buy a bunch of IBM engineers during a kegger with crap they found in a dumpster.
Hell, it made Min's early work look like the Mona Lisa.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 25, 2013,
Man, the things I have seen lightning do is simply bizarre. Like 10'+ of copper inside a 20,000 pair cable completely vaporised while it was in the ground - and the outer sheath was still intact. The lightning hit the ground a few feet away from it. The only way we found it was that a time domain reflectometer. We just made the lineys dig where it said the break was. It all looked ok until they opened it up. Freaky shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification