I setup the action on my strat in Eb and it playd like a dream...re-tuned to standard to play w/ songstter.com tracks and now it feels too tight. am i being too particular? should i readjust the action each time i change tuning? what do you guys do? sorry if dumb question :/
Increasing the string tension is not offset by adjusting the action. It's offset by the string gauge. But if you are noticing that the action is higher with a higher tuning, that's because the neck is bending of the added tension from tuning higher.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's not. It's normal behavior for the neck to bow due to string tension.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It won't hurt anything, but you really shouldn't notice a difference with a half step change.

What gauge strings are you using?
what type of bridge?

Thinking the bridge may be raising up.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 15, 2013,
they're .10's..i'm used to .11's. it's a fender american standard strat, so am standard trem?
Quote by RyanMW2010
they're .10's..i'm used to .11's. it's a fender american standard strat, so am standard trem?

Haha, just edited my last.

Is the bridge tilting forward at all?
Quote by D_M_I
Haha, just edited my last.

Is the bridge tilting forward at all?

yeah, a fair amount, it seems.
That's your problem then. You will need to adjust the springs in the back. tighten them and re-tune.

The bridge being pulled forward, is raising the action.
Quote by D_M_I
That's your problem then. You will need to adjust the springs in the back. tighten them and re-tune.

The bridge being pulled forward, is raising the action.

How much? is there a guide for this? This will change the intonation and action, both? Sorry for redundant questions, I'm new to this and this is my first American guitar, so i baby him/her/it.
Quote by D_M_I
It won't hurt anything, but you really shouldn't notice a difference with a half step change.

What gauge strings are you using?
what type of bridge?

Thinking the bridge may be raising up.

There's an extremely noticeable difference in tension between standard and half-step down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by RyanMW2010
How much? is there a guide for this? This will change the intonation and action, both? Sorry for redundant questions, I'm new to this and this is my first American guitar, so i baby him/her/it.

You want the bridge to sit level if it's floating (can go forward or back) or flush with the body if it's not. Really it's just a matter of adjusting until it's correct. It may take one full turn or three of the adjustment screws. It may even require an additional spring. It all depends on the original setup.

The intonation is something you will want to check. If the guitar wasn't setup for 10's the intonation is off. There are YouTube videos that will help you set your entire guitar up.

Your action will go back to what you liked when you get the bridge back to where it should be. It may even get better. You may need to adjust the neck as well if it wasn't set up for 10's and definitely if you decide to go with 11's.

None of this is anything to worry about. You won't damage or break anything (maybe a string or two ) but the guitar is safe.

Quote by steven seagull
There's an extremely noticeable difference in tension between standard and half-step down.

There is a difference in tension, yes, which you will feel in your fingers more than anything, but it shouldn't bend the neck enough to raise the action significantly. If the guitar is setup correctly and the tuning is changed by that little, there should not be any noticeable neck movement.
Whether or not the trem floats, or the extent to which it floats can affect the guitar's playability as well as the intonation? I've read that some guitar players prefer the trem to float...mine is VERY high though..maybe a couple of inches. I'll take a picture for reference and show you. it's really high but i haven't had a strat in a long time adn i'm a lefty s oi can't just go in anywhere and play other guitars :/
Quote by RyanMW2010
Whether or not the trem floats

Makes no difference.

Quote by RyanMW2010
I've read that some guitar players prefer the trem to float.

Yes. this is a floating bridge on a Strat. It's raised just about an 1/8" or so and the guitars action, intonation, neck relief should all be adjusted accordingly.

Quote by RyanMW2010
the extent to which it floats can affect the guitar's playability as well as the intonation?

Yes. As the back end of the bridge is raised it will also raise the action, and if it's not intended to be that way (for example, if you changed the tuning or string gauge and it resulted in the bridge being raised/pulled forward) the intonation will have changed as well because your strings get shorter.

Quote by RyanMW2010
mine is VERY high though..maybe a couple of inches.

This concerns me, lol. It makes me think we are talking about different things because a couple of inches isn't possible.
A pic would be awesome.
Quote by D_M_I

This concerns me, lol. It makes me think we are talking about different things because a couple of inches isn't possible.
A pic would be awesome.

I'm probably exaggerating. I'll upload the picture in an hour or so. I don't mind resetting the action and intonation, i'm just mainly concerned about the truss rod. I have zero experience w/ that and it frightens me. This guitar is my baby :/
the guitar is black so taking a picture of the trem without a reflection that ruins the perspective is really difficult. i'm going to buy a millimeter ruler and measure