I'm learning the electric guitar and I find barre chords to difficult (it probably doesn't help that i'm a teenage girl with the finger size) and I was wondering for playing just as a hobby do I need to learn barre chords.
Quote by d6410
I'm learning the electric guitar and I find barre chords to difficult (it probably doesn't help that i'm a teenage girl with the finger size) and I was wondering for playing just as a hobby do I need to learn barre chords.

Basically... yes. I play prog metal and I still need barre chords and related skills often enough.

Learn to do it properly or you're just cheating yourself; hand size is no excuse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Depends on what you are playing I guess. You can get away with using two string chords. You don't have to fret all six strings to play most songs just for fun, if that's what your asking.

Does it matter what anyone thinks? You should learn whatever you need to have fun. If you are happy playing very basic chords then, just play and be happy. Learning stuff that's hard to you will make it all even more fun in the long run.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by d6410

Basically, yes. You're not strong or dextrous enough to perform them now, which is disheartening, but you'll get them eventually. My girlfriend has tiny hands and has no problem playing barre chords.
Yes. Sadly they take a long time to get good at however. If you don't at least give them a go then you will find yourself being heavily restricted in your acoustic playing in particular. If you play electric (especially metal etc) then you wont find it such an issue, but playing any lighter music and acoustic in particular it's pretty much an essential skill to develop.

EDIT: Just realized you said you're learning electric. It's easier learning barre chords on an electric typically because the neck is smaller and usually you use lighter gauge strings. I'd say that's more of an incentive to learn it now because it's easier and if you ever play acoustic (which you almost certainly will) then you'll get even more discouraged.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 16, 2013,
Yeah, it's harder at first, though it's not NECESSARY, but you're missing out and just cheating yourself. You can omit the bass strings and get the basic sound of the chord, but the full thing rounds it out. It's also good to pick apart the chords and strum different parts at different times, twist it into some lead or whatever. As far as electric goes, you can get away with it more, since the more gain/distortion you use, the smaller your chords have to be.
They are also MUCH harder if you have heavy strings and a high action. Make sure your guitar is setup well, and there is no shame in using lighter strings. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses 07's, and he has a killer tone...
Quote by sannyasidharma
Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses 07's

How have i been under the impression so long that 09's was the lighest you could get... I've never seen anything lower than 09 :c
don't worry if it takes you a while to get them, but they're pretty handy. they let you move chords about so you don't have to learn anywhere near as many chords, for a start.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're only necessary if you want to sound good and play your favorite songs.
Not absolutely necessary, for instance you could just stick to open chords and use a capo to get to different keys. Also the advice about lighter gauge strings and action/setup above is very good.

However, being able to use barre chords will allow you to be more versatile, and play many more things. I'd advise practising them, even if for a few mins a day, while not worrying about it at the moment, and then over time you'll find you'll be able to play them. Good luck !
I don't know if it's obvious from the above, but barre chords help you flesh out many different chords that you would otherwise not be able to flesh out (and thus have them sound thin or lose their characteristic sound) if you cannot play barre chords.
Last edited by triface at Aug 17, 2013,
Quote by d6410

Of course you do. What a stupid comment!

They're not difficult if you put work in.
Barre chords were the stepping stone to becoming a good musician, for me. Made me understand about tonality, and how songs are constructed in keys, and how the fretboard works.

If you want to play 'Wonderwall' or whatever and you're not a serious musician, then don't bother.
Quote by vayne92
How have i been under the impression so long that 09's was the lighest you could get... I've never seen anything lower than 09 :c

There have been 8's for ages. Billy's are made by Dunlip, they are called Reverend Willy's Lucky Lottery or something stupid like that.

TS: what gauge are you using? Try a lighter gauge till you develop the hand strength/endurance. Make sure your index figure is right against the fret on the bridge side.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Aug 18, 2013,