I am trying to find the best distortion/overdrive pedal to obtain the tone that Green Day has in their Dookie and Insomniac albums. The tone has a tight low end and a lot of mids. So far, I have considered the Lovepedal Superlead. Anyone want to help me with this?
What amp/guitar(s) are you running through that you want to achieve these tones?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
What amp/guitar(s) are you running through that you want to achieve these tones?

This
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Lavatain

This + Budget and preference of new or used
A modified Marshall 1959 SLP is what he used on those albums so something that emulates a Marshall style amp.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
A modified Marshall 1959 SLP is what he used on those albums so something that emulates a Marshall style amp.

I always heard he used a JCM800 and a Strat with a SH-4 or a Super Distortion. I remember seeing them back when 1039 Smoothed out Slappy hours was new and he used a JCM800. Now what model JCM800 it was I can't remember
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I always heard he used a JCM800 and a Strat with a SH-4 or a Super Distortion. I remember seeing them back when 1039 Smoothed out Slappy hours was new and he used a JCM800. Now what model JCM800 it was I can't remember

A while back I remember seeing a rig rundown for him and he was running the "Dookie" amp and a JCM800. So OP, you have some options here. You could actually give us a budget so we could help you out, but the two routes I see here are either A)Get a Marshall amp or a Marshall style amp, or B)Get a Marshall in a box pedal. Neither will most likely get you that exact sound though.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Amp? Guitar? Budget? Help us help you..
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Sorry about the lack of info!

My rig currently is:
*Squier Stratocaster modded with SH-4 in bridge position and other upgrades

*Fender FSR Telecaster

*Fender Frontman 212r

*RP90 multi-effect pedal

My budget is a max of $150, but I can stretch it a little if it is worth it. I'm also fine with buying used.
Last edited by adtweedy at Aug 15, 2013,
The closest you will get is something like a AMT M-Drive or Legend M1/M2. These are basically JCM 800 type pedals. The M-drive is a dirt pedal you use on the clean channel. The Legend series 1 is a pre-amp in a pedal and is soposed to be used in the FX loop return. The Legend series 2 pedal combines the Drive and the legend series into 1 pedal tha can be used either way.

But you will make a bigger difference with a new amp. The only thing you have going for you is the Frontman has a good clean, an FX loop and takes pedals pretty good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have read from a few places that he uses a Marshall Superlead with a master volume mod, not a JCM 800. Anyone else hear this?
Quote by adtweedy
Sorry about the lack of info!

My rig currently is:
*Squier Stratocaster modded with SH-4 in bridge position and other upgrades

*Fender FSR Telecaster

*Fender Frontman 212r

*RP90 multi-effect pedal

My budget is a max of $150, but I can stretch it a little if it is worth it. I'm also fine with buying used.

definitely dump the frontman unless you want to use a marshall in the box over the cleans.

but its a solid state amp, so i am not totally sure it takes pedals. if so you can find a distortion see how it works with your amp.

just bring it (amp)into gc and say you want to check out some pedals. don't buy one there, but at least you know that it would take pedals well. and a little experience for you. the one thing you don't play may be the one that could have had lots of potential.

but if you don't want to use a pedal, ditch the fender amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by adtweedy
I have read from a few places that he uses a Marshall Superlead with a master volume mod, not a JCM 800. Anyone else hear this?

Even if this is true, that is very similar to what the JCM800 is. A JCM800 type pedal will work fine for it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay, I have now narrowed my search to 3 pedals:

AMT M-Drive

Lovepedal Superlead

Tech 21 British

Out of all of these pedals, which one would be the best for what I'm after?

Thanks!
I have only used the AMT, but Wampler Plex-tortion is soposed to be really nice. And the Catlinbread Dirty little secret is another that gets lots of love here.

The AMT is a good pedal and does a pretty good Marshall tone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd sell your Frontman, take that plus your $150 and whatever extra you can scrounge up and buy a decent small tube amp. You could probably get a used Peavy (Classic 30 perhaps) for $300 or so and the drive channel on that could give you what tone you are looking for plus a tremendously better amp.

For strictly pedals, a Pro Co rat does a pretty decent job getting that tone IMHO. In fact, one of the videos on YouTube for the 85 reissue Rat had the guy playing "Welcome To Paradise." I think they run for about $140 or so brand new...
I remember reading years ago (I'm old) that Billy Joe used the same amp in the studio that slash used on Appetite. Something about the amp belonged to the studio and now no one knows where its at? Anyone else heard this?
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
don't spend tons of money on a high-end pedal when you have a beginner amp.

start saving towards a better, marshally tube amp.

maybe pick up a cheap but good marshally pedal to tide you over- e.g. joyo crunch distortion (MI crunchbox clone)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't spend tons of money on a high-end pedal when you have a beginner amp.

start saving towards a better, marshally tube amp.

The truth hurts... But this is the best answer. A JCM900 could be perfect, without being too crazy expensive.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?