Hello, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as semi-hollow guitar ($400 - $500 range) that would also be good for harder rock. I don't know much as far as pickups go, so any advice would be welcome. Right now I play alot of Muse, Audioslave and Atreyu if that helps any. I was looking at the Epiphone Dot, but read somewhere that the pickups would not support that kind of music. Thanks
I play a DeLonge signature ES-333. It's basically an Epiphone Dot with a single Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup. Very high output, distorts well. Definitely not a versatile instrument with no tone control, though.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Try this used beauty: http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a13a06reverendgoldtop/reverendgoldtop

Reverends are made for rock- with 2 HBs and their bass contour control (does for lower range notes what the tone control does for treble), you get a lot of tones on tap.

Ibanez Artcores could work:
http://www.musicgoroundfortworth.com/detail.aspx?id=1384397
http://www.musicgoroundfortworth.com/detail.aspx?id=1372484

And GC has tons of options:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hollow-Body--Semi-Hollow-Electric-Electric-Guitar,Used-Gear.gc?extup=300-500&ipp=100&o=1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 16, 2013,
Quote by Box 0 Wine
Hello, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as semi-hollow guitar ($400 - $500 range) that would also be good for harder rock. I don't know much as far as pickups go, so any advice would be welcome. Right now I play alot of Muse, Audioslave and Atreyu if that helps any. I was looking at the Epiphone Dot, but read somewhere that the pickups would not support that kind of music. Thanks

They told you the pickups wouldn't support it? Sounds like somebody was talking out of their ass.

Either way for your budget you could afford to get a good used Dot and have enough change leftover to put in some good pickups, maybe even Duncans or something.
The person probably got confused with older microphone pickups that were used in older models of semi hollows, that used to cause the worst feedback.

They don't so much anymore, unless you want to play super high gain stuff.
Quote by Mephaphil
The person probably got confused with older microphone pickups that were used in older models of semi hollows, that used to cause the worst feedback.

I think you're talking about microphonic pickups? Those aren't "older."

Pickups are usually either potted or unpotted. These days that mostly means "dipped in wax" (though pickups have been produced that are comletely sealed in epoxy and other substances) and most pickups sold *with* Gibson guitars, for example, have been potted. But Gibson also sells the same pickups unpotted (and you can buy them right this second). Sometimes these can become slightly microphonic, meaning that they can convert vibrations (as opposed to magnetic flux) into an undesired electric signal. Slightly microphonic pickups are actually desirable in a lot of cases. Pickups that are really susceptible to this can produce microphonic feedback (the coil wires begin to vibrate or the cover begins to vibrate against the bobbin, etc.).
Sorry, it was a mixture of auto correct and me having just got up.

Pickups can become microphonic when they aren't wax coated, older pickups weren't wax coated and had more issues with feedback, especially in semi hollow type guitars.

That's what I meant.
I recently bought an Epiphone Dot, and I can't believe how good it is for that price. (as you can see in the signature this is the cheapest guitar I bought so far) Very versatile and the pickups are great. When I was thinking about getting one I was sure I would change the pickups for Gibson ones, but after I tried these, I don't see the point. And this guitar is not microphonic at all.