I've been using a Blackstar HT-100 for quite some time. While it's a good amp, I've been wanting to try something different, and I was looking at using separate pre-amps and power-amps. While I am looking at different things, I loved the tone from a Mesa Triaxis/Mesa 2:90 combination.

What I am curious about is the amount of tone the 2:90 contributed to that sound. While I know that most of the tone came from the Triaxis, I found out that the presence control has a huge effect on my tone (I like lots of it). The presence control is part of the power-amp, right?

Before I ramble on too much, which would change my tones the most: hooking the Triaxis to the HT-100's power amp, or hooking the HT-100's pre amp into the Two Ninety? Why?

(I'm mostly interested in the metal/distortion tones, but I also like teh kleenz too.)
My Musical Gear:
Instruments:
Dean Deceiver 1000 Series
Gibson L6S
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez M510edvs

Amps:
Blackstar HT-100
Fender Bassman 100

Last edited by Dakatsu at Aug 16, 2013,
If you're not cranking into power tube breakup area. the preamp will always make way, way more difference. The power amp does make a difference, but IMO the difference is more about feel and response, moreso than straight up in your face tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If the power section has a phase inverter unit, and multiple power tubes, it will sound different than a single-ended design.

You have push-pull class A, push-pull class AB, and single-ended class A.

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Triaxis is a better preamp than the Ht100's by a larger margin than the 2:90 is better than the HT power amp. That's what you are asking, yes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification