Page 1 of 2
Does anyone if these speakers will be any good to use with my laptop?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IZZ2PE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d5_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0C6V2WH3DN6NRPQXY280&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418445227&pf_rd_i=468294

I'm looking for some middle of the range speakers and I've heard that these offer that quality for a much lower price, can anyone confirm if this is true?
Creative are good enough and £50 will get you something acceptable. I'd recommend spending £100+ though
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
nah its best bet just to stick with your inbuilt speakers, they'll have been tweaked specifically for your laptop so they will sound absolutely amazing and better than any speakers you will ever get
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
nah its best bet just to stick with your inbuilt speakers, they'll have been tweaked specifically for your laptop so they will sound absolutely amazing and better than any speakers you will ever get

-qft
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I would go with surround sound if I'm honest.

To use with a laptop?
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Get a decent pair of headphones if your using a laptop - portability, sound quality and convenience will the bomb. If you really want speakers I have these and can vouch for them http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Studiophile-Av30-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B0010B0BPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376685335&sr=8-4&keywords=m+audio+speakers

Good frequency range, loud enough if you want them and they aren't too big.
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
How about the new released beats pill speakers? it has a good design but a little expensive
i am a japanese girl .i want to buy a head phone .but i have no money .because i opened a new nike shop .it is so hard at beginning .i wish the help from you .this is my shop :
Link removed, DG.
Quote by ul001
How about the new released beats pill speakers? it has a good design but a little expensive
lol, no
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Just buy a new amp and hook it up to your laptop
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
>50Hz-20kHz frequency response with 14 watts RMS per channel

How bout no. :3

These will beat the shit out of any stock laptop speakers, for listening purposes they're fine, but if I were you I'd just paly another 30 for USB studio monitors.

Get all the low end, and way more power behind them.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 10, 2014,
Get headphones.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by stratkat
>50Hz-20kHz frequency response with 14 watts RMS per channel

How bout no. :3

These will beat the shit out of any stock laptop speakers, for listening purposes they're fine, but if I were you I'd just paly another 30 for USB studio monitors.

Get all the low end, and way more power behind them.

USB Studio Monitors? No such thing.

TS, any speakers marketed for laptop users will be shit. Your best bet is to buy an entry level pair of speakers aimed at home studios (if you go for gaming/normal PC speakers you'll be ripped off and paying for cheap tat at a premium) or to just buy a pair of headphones you like and use those.

1) Your laptop's stock soundcard is going to be crap, so you'll never get incredible quality from it.

2) Laptop speakers are all rubbish. Don't know of any exceptions.

3) Stuff aimed at gamers or as PC speakers are generally crap too, but really overpriced.

Spend about £80-100 on a pair of entry level monitors and you'll at least get something passable, even if they're still no good to mix on. Otherwise, just stick to headphones.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

TS, any speakers marketed for laptop users will be shit. Your best bet is to buy an entry level pair of speakers aimed at home studios (if you go for gaming/normal PC speakers you'll be ripped off and paying for cheap tat at a premium) or to just buy a pair of headphones you like and use those.

1) Your laptop's stock soundcard is going to be crap, so you'll never get incredible quality from it.

2) Laptop speakers are all rubbish. Don't know of any exceptions.

3) Stuff aimed at gamers or as PC speakers are generally crap too, but really overpriced.

Spend about £80-100 on a pair of entry level monitors and you'll at least get something passable, even if they're still no good to mix on. Otherwise, just stick to headphones.

ANY speakers marketed for laptop users will be shit?

B&W MM1
Kef X300
Monitor Audio WS100

To name 3 off the top of my head. However, you are looking at way above most people's budget, to be fair.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get headphones.

lol but why are they called phones when you can't even make a call with them huh it doesn't make any sense man
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Deliriumbassist
ANY speakers marketed for laptop users will be shit?

B&W MM1
Kef X300
Monitor Audio WS100

To name 3 off the top of my head. However, you are looking at way above most people's budget, to be fair.

Ok, but they're far beyond the budget of the typical person who would buy speakers for their laptop to play typical music on without hooking it up to an audio interface/external sound card and amp etc.

I guess I should clarify by saying 'pretty much any ...' but I think only you would have even known of those options in this thread, and I certainly don't think it's what TS was after. I was just generalising for simplicity's sake, about that market sector (perhaps any 'entry-level computer speakers' would have been a better way to word it).
Quote by DisarmGoliath

M-Audio has some, and I've seen a few other companies release a pair, they're entry level They're advertised as entry level and priced as them:/
Any speakers that connect via USB and are powered that way, suggested by the fact they even use a USB connection, don't even deserve the title of 'studio monitors'. They make good paperweights, and are louder than most in-built speakers... that's about all they're good for. What kind of speaker amp draws its power from a USB connection, really?

Would you really want the cheap D/A conversion they'd throw into those speakers as an afterthought to warrant the USB connection?
So the speakers acted as an audio interface (not sure what you mean by 'usb interface among the 2-3 interfaces') ? Doesn't sound like they'd be much good if that's all been stuffed into something on that budget

As far as entry level studio monitors are concerned, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the KRK Rokit series for a first pair of monitors.
Oh I meant audio outs, but it basically acted like an interface within itself I guess.
They weren't amazing, but they were pretty colorless.

My friend has a pair of rockits, he doesn't have an interface, so they're virtually useless for him when he's messing around in FL
Quote by DisarmGoliath
So the speakers acted as an audio interface (not sure what you mean by 'usb interface among the 2-3 interfaces') ? Doesn't sound like they'd be much good if that's all been stuffed into something on that budget

As far as entry level studio monitors are concerned, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the KRK Rokit series for a first pair of monitors.

Hopefully the USB input will be asynchronous- as in, the DAC on the speakers reclocks the incoming data. Plus, the speakers will be powered rather than active- loads of manufacturers state speakers as being active, when they are actually powered, which is misleading. Active speakers are awesome, powered are not.
Quote by stratkat
Oh I meant audio outs, but it basically acted like an interface within itself I guess.
They weren't amazing, but they were pretty colorless.

Debatable (about being pretty colourless/flat) but fair enough

My friend has a pair of rockits, he doesn't have an interface, so they're virtually useless for him when he's messing around in FL

Your friend is an idiot

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hopefully the USB input will be asynchronous- as in, the DAC on the speakers reclocks the incoming data. Plus, the speakers will be powered rather than active- loads of manufacturers state speakers as being active, when they are actually powered, which is misleading. Active speakers are awesome, powered are not.

Well, I literally googled 'M-Audio USB studio monitors' and found stuff suggesting they were USB-powered, which I presume means they draw their power from USB rather than an external power supply as well as receiving the digital audio on the same USB connection, but didn't really look in any detail beyond the page preview Google gives. And for that pricepoint, I wouldn't place any bets on them doing anything beyond the bare minimum to pass a signal

I presume they wanted something they could power from USB to make people with laptops/wanting something portable tempted to buy them, and to save cables they decided to put it all down USB which meant a digital audio signal so they needed some primitive DAC to handle things.
Well I plan on buying ATH-M50x's asap, I had m-30s and loved those.

My laptop has no working headphone jack, so a usb interface is where I'd go, but I don't mix on my laptop unless I'm away from my house.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Well, I literally googled 'M-Audio USB studio monitors' and found stuff suggesting they were USB-powered, which I presume means they draw their power from USB rather than an external power supply as well as receiving the digital audio on the same USB connection, but didn't really look in any detail beyond the page preview Google gives. And for that pricepoint, I wouldn't place any bets on them doing anything beyond the bare minimum to pass a signal

USB powered is disappointing... 5v/2A is 10 watts, which gives you very little headroom, plus there's the issues of putting power and audio signal down the same cable... Jesus Christ, M-Audio, at least pretend you know what you're doing.
The ATH-M50s are supposed to be decent, they're certainly popular with other recording enthusiasts on here - I can't really give much opinion on them as I haven't listened to anything on them, and I'm not much of a headphone person (I hate the closed-off-from-the-world sensation, the isolated left and right channels/exaggerated stereo image, and I have tinnitus and find wearing headphones a bit irritating if I pause the music to edit something and have relative silence).
Quote by Deliriumbassist
USB powered is disappointing... 5v/2A is 10 watts, which gives you very little headroom, plus there's the issues of putting power and audio signal down the same cable... Jesus Christ, M-Audio, at least pretend you know what you're doing.

Well, it's a digital signal down the USB cable so shouldn't be affected by sharing with the AC current, should it? I mean, there won't be RF interference to add noise so unless I'm missing something it's fine (plus sending it via USB suggests there'd be some kind of error correction in the speakers' DAC, no?). I agree though, that they are really running threadbare with headroom and literally throwing lots of poor quality things into a package that is priced to suggest convenience.

Edit: Unless you mean going from the one speaker to the other? I dunno if they share some cabling to the other speaker somehow. Didn't look closely, like I said.
Quote by Cb4rabid
Does literally no-one here realize this thread has been dead for months?

Hey, if we want to argue and dismiss M-Audio for poor product quality, we're gonna do so regardless of how old the thread is

Yes, I have since realised an adbot bumped the thread, but that's ok because what I said above >.>
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, it's a digital signal down the USB cable so shouldn't be affected by sharing with the AC current, should it? I mean, there won't be RF interference to add noise so unless I'm missing something it's fine (plus sending it via USB suggests there'd be some kind of error correction in the speakers' DAC, no?). I agree though, that they are really running threadbare with headroom and literally throwing lots of poor quality things into a package that is priced to suggest convenience.

Edit: Unless you mean going from the one speaker to the other? I dunno if they share some cabling to the other speaker somehow. Didn't look closely, like I said.

The digital signal is electrical in nature, and therefore technically analogue. Power running down the same cable runs of the risk of affecting the digital signal through conduction, even through a decent insulator (your bog standard USB cable is not going to be using gas foamed polypropylene, which is getting pretty close to the dielectric ideal that is air). Error correction in most USB applications isn't the same as in, say, a CD player. Error correction with a CD player is done in real time, because you can't ask the CD to resend the info- the moment's gone. Same with USB audio, but USB wants to have info packets it deems as crap to be resent until correct, which is great for a printer. Factor in that most USB DACs have a ridiculously high amount of jitter, the signal needs as much help as it can get.
Ah fair enough, I get where you're coming from now. I think we can both agree that it's a pretty crap pair of speakers as far as quality goes - they obviously targeted it at the beginner level where people might not know what to and what not to look for in their first pair of monitors.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ah fair enough, I get where you're coming from now. I think we can both agree that it's a pretty crap pair of speakers as far as quality goes - they obviously targeted it at the beginner level where people might not know what to and what not to look for in their first pair of monitors.

On a whole, it's quite amazing what actually passes for 'monitors' these days.
I recommend beats by dre for sure. Best way to get music in your ears that exists.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
btw anyone looking to buy some entry level studio monitors who may have been looking at Rokits etc

take a look at JBL LSR's

heard very good things about them, priced a little cheaper than the KRK's but apparently much better
Page 1 of 2