I'm really considering resin crafting which would require me to work with small amounts of resin. I'd say about less than 8 oz at a time. I wanted to get some insight on safety and health hazards of working with resin if you have worked with it before.

I've done some research and many suggest that epoxy is safer than polyester and there is a specific crafting brand (Easy Cast) that is even safer. Nonetheless many recommend getting a respirator mask.

I'm also concerned about my work area since the only outdoor option I have is a balcony (living in a building) so the entrance is close to living spaces and I have a small dog (read that it's particularly dangerous to small animals). Would that be a good enough for me?

Or am I overreacting since I am only working in small batches? I'd appreciate the feedback.

tl;dr Working with small batches of resin, how dangerous to my health is it?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I would try smoking the resin. However, it is bad for the lungs. Vaporizing plant material is a MUCH safer alternative. Happy 4/20!
Just wear gloves and a respirator, you'll be fine.

If it were me, I'd just wear gloves, I hate wearing respirators, they are uncomfortable and awkward.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
A couple of fans wouldn't hurt either. My dog gets bored when I'm doing projects and leaves pretty quickly. Does the vapor rise or fall? If it is heavier than air, some fans on the ground blowing to the outside will help protect the pupper.
Quote by CodChick

Quote by ecvMatt
A couple of fans wouldn't hurt either. My dog gets bored when I'm doing projects and leaves pretty quickly. Does the vapor rise or fall? If it is heavier than air, some fans on the ground blowing to the outside will help protect the pupper.

No idea if it rises or falls and no way to tell bc that specific brand is supposed to be low odor. The fans are a good idea though.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by TheOnlyChance
I would try smoking the resin. However, it is bad for the lungs. Vaporizing plant material is a MUCH safer alternative. Happy 4/20!

best post
Quote by kikaykitko
No idea if it rises or falls and no way to tell bc that specific brand is supposed to be low odor. The fans are a good idea though.

You can contact the manufacturer to get info on the relative weight of the gas, and prep your ventilation accordingly.

Really though, if it's just a hobby and no more than a few hours a week, I wouldn't worry much about it. My main concern would be for the dog. Maybe put it out on the balcony when you are working with uncured resins?
Quote by CodChick

Quote by ecvMatt
You can contact the manufacturer to get info on the relative weight of the gas, and prep your ventilation accordingly.

Really though, if it's just a hobby and no more than a few hours a week, I wouldn't worry much about it. My main concern would be for the dog. Maybe put it out on the balcony when you are working with uncured resins?

good idea.

Since we live in a building (3rd floor), we have no choice but to keep him in the house and since the balcony (where I'll be working) entrance is right by the living room I was concerned with the proximity. The door would be kept close but I would have to get in and out every once in a while so my concern is if the fumes get in. Also there's other people living there without respirators on.
Quote by Jackal58
I work with resins.I resurface bathtubs.You should work in an area with adequate ventilation(open some windows and have a fan going.Most importantly,wear a respirator.Make sure you choose the right kind,and right size.Also very important,when you are not using your respirator,store it in a ziploc bag.This is the only way you will get the amount of usage out of your cartridges.Good luck and be careful.Also,set up a fan right in the door way so that it is blowing in your face when you open the door.This should keep the vapor from following you in.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Wear respirator mask, gloves and keep the dog away from your working area.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Read up on the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on what you are working with.
http://www.msdsonline.com/

If you are working with a chemical or chemicals from a particular manufacturer, request the MSDS from them.
I believe by law (In the US), they are legally required to provide it to you free of charge on request).
There should, at the least, be some sort of safety info available when you purchase it.

I worked with some pretty nasty chemicals and such in the past.
Some shit that makes asbestos seem like ****ing cotton candy.
Wearing disposable hazmat suits sucks.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 17, 2013,
Quote by TheOnlyChance

ugh thank god this is the first reply

This thread has one of the weirdest assortment of users I've ever seen.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by rickyvanh
I work with resins.I resurface bathtubs.You should work in an area with adequate ventilation(open some windows and have a fan going.Most importantly,wear a respirator.Make sure you choose the right kind,and right size.Also very important,when you are not using your respirator,store it in a ziploc bag.This is the only way you will get the amount of usage out of your cartridges.Good luck and be careful.Also,set up a fan right in the door way so that it is blowing in your face when you open the door.This should keep the vapor from following you in.

Thanks. I did purchase a respirator that the dude at Lowes said people use in factories in such. I feel rather silly wearing a mask that cost more than all the materials I'm using for this small project. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

Quote by CodeMonk
Read up on the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on what you are working with.
http://www.msdsonline.com/

If you are working with a chemical or chemicals from a particular manufacturer, request the MSDS from them.
I believe by law (In the US), they are legally required to provide it to you free of charge on request).
There should, at the least, be some sort of safety info available when you purchase it.

I worked with some pretty nasty chemicals and such in the past.
Some shit that makes asbestos seem like ****ing cotton candy.
Wearing disposable hazmat suits sucks.

Holy crap, I don't think I would need a hazmat suit for this. A bunch of 12 yos on YT play with resin without gloves or masks and they haven't died yet. Good resource if I ever make larger resin pieces though.

The resin package only recommends latex gloves and good ventilation but I don't really trust that too much.
Quote by Jackal58