I'm in a reggae/ska band and have been looking at delays. I'll probably need 2. This is for guitar stuff, not really the DJ dub stuff people do.

For my reggae rhythm I'd like a nice analog delay that i'd keep on all the time for the slower stuff

I would also like a slightly more versatile delay I can kick on and off for some fills(like using a wah with the delay). I was looking at the DD5 because it has a tap tempo and hold feature which is awesome for my needs, but then I realized I'll have my foot on a wah pedal AND the delay... I don't want to fall. I'll need something i can switch on and off quickly instead, which is any delay.

I'm playing live so I probably need two pedals. The BBE two timer might work for my needs in one pedal, but i've been hearing mixed reviews.

I'd really rather not spend more than 200 on my pedals. I am buying used.

I'm thinking that a nice analog might work for my rhythmic stuff, whereas even a cheaper digital would work with the fill oriented stuff since it won't be used as much.

True bypass or buffered? I also don't want something that will have a huge volume drop like some tend to have. The Aqua puss has a volume knob which is nice and is TB, but isn't TT.

I'd like to have a tap tempo. internal is obviously easiest, external works too but is probably going to run me more cash.

I did find a EH MEMORY MAN WITH HAZARI for 165 used after tax and all that. Depending on what everyone says I might just get that and a cheap dd5 with tap tempo. i did find one for about 100 with the switch. it would be nice to have a digital AND analog delay
Last edited by dsomma93 at Aug 16, 2013,
Look at the Line 6 M5. You can set up multiple delays, and it has an onboard tap tempo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I always recommend the TC Flashback X4 when someone asks what delay. Has tap tempo, 3 savable presets, and a looper built in. It's 250 new but you can catch one used on Craigslist in your price range.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Quote by dsomma93
I did find a EH MEMORY MAN WITH HAZARI for 165 used after tax and all that. Depending on what everyone says I might just get that and a cheap dd5 with tap tempo. i did find one for about 100 with the switch. it would be nice to have a digital AND analog delay

That Hazarai is supposed to be a digital delay the last time I checked. I'd skip on the EHX stuff unless its the DMM, the other versions(boy/toy) sound nothing like it. Not many analog delays with tap tempo at $150 range. You could look into finding a used carbon copy and use it for slapback style analog delay & grab a Tc flashback or Tc nova repeater or Boss delay for longer delays. The Tc stuff has ducking delays & strumtap feature as well along with the regular tap tempo. There is no harm in having both a analog & digital delay around with you.
Check out the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport SR. It's 2 delays in one pedal. You'll have to save up to its price though (around 300$?)
Quote by emerald876
I always recommend the TC Flashback X4 when someone asks what delay. Has tap tempo, 3 savable presets, and a looper built in. It's 250 new but you can catch one used on Craigslist in your price range.

+1 on both counts. I got one yesterday for exactly $200.
used tc x4 should do it. if not, the regular flashback used can be a good option, i just bought one and it has a ton of options.

i very opposed to mainstream, guitar center, "out of a magazine" type brands, but this TC flashback pretty much rocks. perhaps even more so cause i traded a bunch of stuff in and only paid 10 bucks. that really helps.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'd go for the X4 but it seems to have more in it than I need. I don't want the looper-- I just need a tap tempo analog. I have a boss xl-20 already, so paying 200 for a pedal where I won't use all the features might not be the way to go for me.

Seems like one of the more versatile around though so i haven't ruled it out though.

I'll look more into the other pedals listen above, thanks everyone
Quote by Deledhel
Check out the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport SR. It's 2 delays in one pedal. You'll have to save up to its price though (around 300$?)

this seems like it might be the way to go. do you know if it's true bypass?
if it has an external input for tap tempo then i'll probably buy this one if it's analog
Last edited by dsomma93 at Aug 20, 2013,
i really like my malekko 616 i think i got it for a bit under $100. i haven't tried the flashbacks, but ido like the NOVA delay TC used to make. has presets, and is pretty flexible and has all of the features you would likely need.

may be cheaper since i think they were discontinued.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dsomma93
this seems like it might be the way to go. do you know if it's true bypass?
if it has an external input for tap tempo then i'll probably buy this one if it's analog

It is true bypass
Not sure about external tap tempo
It is not truly analogue, however do not discount it because of this. It is a particularly good replica of a tape delay sound. It is an absolutely excellent delay man, you would love it I am sure.

As for analogue delays with tap tempo under $150, there is this. I cannot vouch for it as I have no experience with it. All I can tell you is that it exists:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_effect_page13.php?effect_id=1&year=2013&cat_id=6&series_id=99
Quote by steven_ferns84
That Hazarai is supposed to be a digital delay the last time I checked. I'd skip on the EHX stuff unless its the DMM, the other versions(boy/toy) sound nothing like it. Not many analog delays with tap tempo at $150 range. You could look into finding a used carbon copy and use it for slapback style analog delay & grab a Tc flashback or Tc nova repeater or Boss delay for longer delays. The Tc stuff has ducking delays & strumtap feature as well along with the regular tap tempo. There is no harm in having both a analog & digital delay around with you.

what about the deluxe memory box? analog with a tap tempo.
no?
true bypass? bad idea?
Quote by dsomma93
what about the deluxe memory box? analog with a tap tempo.
no?
true bypass? bad idea?

deluxe memory boy is decent. more ambient and darker repeats than the DMM.