As "what!?" at the title sounds let me just explain because you might be a bit confused right now.

I bought my first guitar about 18 months ago to self-teach myself guitar and now that I've progressed somewhat and know the difference between a good guitar a Fender Squier Strat I bought a new guitar and sold the Squier but since I bought it over the internet about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it's still not arrived because it got stuck in customs because the postage wasn't correct or something and is currently being sent back to the person I bought it from to be sent back again.

Basically I've not touched a guitar for the whole time since the second I sold my original guitar and am kinda worried about losing the muscle memory and dexterity in my fingers a bit. I know it won't take long to get back how I was before when the guitar arrives but I still want to keep my fingers, and brain, in shape.

So does anyone know any exercises that I can do to help with this or even things that could help improve flexibility when you've got some time to kill?
Sometimes I just tap my fingers (left hand) in a pattern like the 1234 exercise. I also do a 2134 kind of exercise. Hope it helps.
Yeah, I was thinking stuff like that would be good. I did some searching online and it seems there are a lot of things that you can do. I've taken up your idea for now though, thanks.
I wouldnt go there...simply cause its for the most part a waste of time or worse relying in contraptions like gripmaster that can actually hurt you.Nothing beats the workout of an actual guitar can give you and you can have a shitty used one for a couple of bucks.You dont even have to plug it in....play finger independence exercises acoustically its more than enough to get your hands in tip top shape.

As for the squier strats they are mighty fine guitars mate.....dont drink the gearwhoring coolaid, you dont need fancy gear just a lot of practise.Search for finger independence exercises and then do them on any freaking wood with strings.Dont waste time waiting for the "good" guitar or for the "kung fu non guitar exercises".
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Aug 17, 2013,
There's not really anything you can do outside of playing the guitar that's going to help you with playing the guitar...I really wouldn't worry about it, just sit tight until you've got your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's not really anything you can do outside of playing the guitar that's going to help you with playing the guitar...I really wouldn't worry about it, just sit tight until you've got your guitar.

Definitely agreed. Although there's nothing to stop you working on your knowledge of music. Learning theory away from a guitar would probably help you stop falling in to the same pitfalls as other guitarists with only learning patterns and such.

Also there is a lesson to take from this: don't sell off a guitar unless you have another one to play
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 17, 2013,