I've recently bought a Vox AC15C1 (yesterday) and while I completely love it,
I fear that it isn't loud enough to pull through the rest of the band.
Unfortunately, my band mates just left the county to go to college, so I have no real way of seeing how it holds up.
I'm thinking of getting a cab for a volume boost, specifically a Night Train cab,
and I'm wondering if this is worth it.

I have a few questions, as I've never even owned a fully tube amp until today, much less connected one to a cab, other than stacking my two old terrible amps for a slightly okay tone.

Keep in mind, the music I shoot for ranges from delayed, spacy, reverb filled dream tones, to the usual mildy gritty rock tone, and finally I love gathering all the dirt I can and play Tool riffs and Tool-like riffs of my own.

Will the volume boost be significant? I suppose I could always mic up even after that, but its more money to burn and we're not quite there yet gig-wise.
And how is it going to affect the tone? I can handle a minor change, but I'm really really digging this tone right now, which is why I'm shooting for a night train to begin with.
But seeing as the Night Train I want is almost matching my amp price-wise, I may step down to a cheaper alternative, and different brand.
And last concern, if I got the 1x12 Night Train rather than the 2x12, and ran both my amp and the NT together, would I be better off this way rather than another $500 hole in my wallet?
Or, maybe, if I can actually take this back to Guitar Center, might I just get a AC30?
I really dig the 15 though.
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Last edited by Johnnybizzoy at Aug 16, 2013,
Are you talking about a Jet City 212 cab or a secondary amp?

The AC15 really should be loud enough for most stuff. I could see you getting drowned out if your entire band was doing a Tool cover but you really won't know until your band gets back.

I'd just hold off dude.

If you are looking for a bigger cab to plug into, no the volume gained will not be all that significant. Maybe 3dB. You'd be better off putting your amp up on a chair or stand.

If you are looking for a second amp to get more volume then sell the AC15 and get an AC30. I can guarantee the AC30 is loud as shit.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 16, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

The AC15 really should be loud enough for most stuff. I could see you getting drowned out if your entire band was doing a Tool cover but you really won't know until your band gets back.

I'd just hold off dude.

If you are looking for a bigger cab to plug into, no the volume gained will not be all that significant. Maybe 3dB. You'd be better off putting your amp up on a chair or stand.

If you are looking for a second amp to get more volume then sell the AC15 and get an AC30. I can guarantee the AC30 is loud as shit.

I've been researching volume increase methods and I think I read somewhere that getting the right speaker and just swapping it out with the one thats already in there will give a boost of like 3dB. So I guess I should be leaning towards a new speaker paired with a raise from the ground?

I'm pretty much unfamiliar with cabs. I guess when I assumed if I got a cab, or even a giant 4x12, I'd get a sizable volume difference, that I was wrong.

Or, is micing up with a good PA the best way to go?
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
what ohms is the internal speaker?

You want a cab that has the same rating as the internal speaker. What is the minimum Ohms your AC15 can run?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Johnnybizzoy
I've been researching volume increase methods and I think I read somewhere that getting the right speaker and just swapping it out with the one thats already in there will give a boost of like 3dB. So I guess I should be leaning towards a new speaker paired with a raise from the ground?

3dB is almost nothing. Definitely nothing to be spending money on.

Here's an audio test to prove my point.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 16, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
what ohms is the internal speaker?

You want a cab that has the same rating as the internal speaker. What is the minimum Ohms your AC15 can run?

It can switch between 8 and 16, when it comes to using external speakers / extension.
But I think the internal is 16.
If I'm matching ohms, is that still a minor increase in volume, even in cabs consisting of 4 speakers?
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Quote by Johnnybizzoy
It can switch between 8 and 16, when it comes to using external speakers / extension.
But I think the internal is 16.
If I'm matching ohms, is that still a minor increase in volume, even in cabs consisting of 4 speakers?

Well if the internal speaker is 16 ohms, then you would want a cab that is also 16 ohms. This will make a total of an 8 ohm load, which is what you would need the amp to be on.

The general rule of thumb is for every time you double the amount of speakers, you will get a ~3dB increase in volume.

Your vox has a Celestion G12m, and they are rated at 98dB

If you want a cab, I really suggest www.Avatarspeakers.com you can custom order a cab with the color/grill/speakers that you choose for a great price.

I have a Peavey Windsor studio (1x12 combo) and I made a 1x12 cab that I use with it some times. The volume difference is very slight, but it also puts the combo closer to your ears, which will make it seem much louder than if it is on the ground.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'd just hold off dude.

In theory the 3db gain from an extra speaker is the same as the 3db gain from 15 to 30 watts.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
3dB if they are the same speakers. The difference in efficiency between two different types of speakers can be far greater than 3dB. What speakers are we talking about?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
In theory the 3db gain from an extra speaker is the same as the 3db gain from 15 to 30 watts.

I'm just saying I'd rather carry one 30w amp then one 15w amp and an extra cab.

The extra headroom could come in handy too.

But you're right.

v...+1
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 17, 2013,
Plus AC30's are just better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone