So I was thinking about getting a new Fender Blacktop Strat, (major GAS right now), and I pleasantly discovered that they have two fingerboard options, maple and rosewood. Now I like playing lots of 90s alt rock, and I have observed that alot of 90s players used rosewood. I'm guessing this was for the darker tone. So rosewood=mellower, maple=snappy, more cut. True? False? You be the judge...
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
That's what people mostly say. Some people say the opposite. Some people don't even care and just choose them based on looks.

It all gets lost in the gain anyway.
I just like the look of maple better, but I do have a basswood/rosewood RG and an ash/maple metal tele and the tele sounds snappier, but that is ash vs basswood too.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Make your life easier and just like anything other than Maple.

They are hard to refret and a pain to find on a guitar that is cheap.

But they look awesome
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
For me, it's not an issue of sound, but of feel and aesthetics. Maple is typically finished, while rosewood is not. Make a huge difference in the feel of the fretboard under you fingers, especially on a guitar with low frets. For aesthetics, it really depends on the guitar. Just whatever floats your boat!
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Aug 16, 2013,
It's not gonna make that big of a sonic difference, pick the one you like the looks of.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Every maple fretboard that I've tried has been a lot more comfortable than rosewood, but that's just me.
Yeah I have noticed that the maple 'boards have a much softer feel overall, like as in the whole neck itself. Maybe it's just the one piece thing. Idk. I do have a Duo-Sonic with a maple 'board and it's definitely very snappy even through the massive amounts of gain I often employ. So maple 'boards=better for lead guitarist, and rosewood=better for rhythm?
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Quote by slayer1979
Yeah I have noticed that the maple 'boards have a much softer feel overall, like as in the whole neck itself. Maybe it's just the one piece thing. Idk. I do have a Duo-Sonic with a maple 'board and it's definitely very snappy even through the massive amounts of gain I often employ. So maple 'boards=better for lead guitarist, and rosewood=better for rhythm?

It's the finish of the neck and the fingerboard that makes it feel more smooth.

As for the other thing, that's entirely personal preference.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
My favorite fingerboard wood is ebony, but it's hard to find that in a strat. I'm a rosewood guy myself... nothing against maple, I have a maple necked strat now, but for some reason I've never really "connected" with a maple board strat the way I have with rosewood.
It's more about how the guitar looks overall, IMO.

Strats need maple. Rosewood fretboards with the unfinished headstock just look horrendous.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never really had a preference. I've loved and hated the feel of guitars with both. Don't overanalyze it though, it's not a huge deal.
I switched between the two for decades and didn't know I was supposed to hear and feel a difference. Then I discovered guitar forums.
I like maple and rosewood

^ I like Ebony too greg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the only kind of fretboard i know i don't like is a thick finished maple board with small frets.

Quote by gregs1020
the only kind of fretboard i know i don't like is a thick finished maple board with small frets.

Yeah I had a ash/maple Tele years ago and I really wish I would have not sold it. That guitar was as fun if not more fun than my PRS CE22, and it sounded huge. I had a JBJr remounted on a tele base plate and it sounded like a bright LP, but it was a very thick bright sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 17, 2013,
I have two guitars I have with Rosewood Fretboards that feel really nice. My Telecaster has a maple neck though and I like the way it sounds better.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by peskypesky
I switched between the two for decades and didn't know I was supposed to hear and feel a difference. Then I discovered guitar forums.

This.
Quote by gregs1020

Me too. I used to play a Strat like that. I hate too much gloss.

IMO if you aren't sure whether you would like Rosewood or Maple I suggest going to a music store. All your going to get here is a whole bunch of personal preference, and everyone is different.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud