'Ello all. I may finally be getting another job soon (hopefully), and that means I'll have money. And that means the first thing I will spend it on is a new guitar and amp (priorities, amirite? ). So, what I plan on getting is an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, and for the amp, I'm not quite sure. All I know is it WILL be a tube amp.

I plan on doing this within some type of budget, the word "budget" being used liberally there, but the least expensive, the better. Not looking for anything really great, I will save up for that after I mess around with some relatively in-expensive yet nice stuff and really see what I'm after.

So, my question to you, with the idea of "relatively in-expensive, yet nice" in mind is; what would you recommend for both the guitar and amp? I also should mention that I play mostly classic rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, Beatles... etc.) and some older metal (mainly Judas Priest and Black Sabbath) and my personal playing style when not playing all those songs from all those bands leans towards bluesy-rock. Also, I would like a nice clean sound from the amp, as I can dial in more distortion if need be through a pedal, but I would prefer a lower-wattage amp as this will be for home use.
Get a used Gibson LP studio

For amps:
Marshall DSL401
Laney VC50
Laney Cub12
Peavey VTM
Peavey Classic 30
Blackheart little giant/handsome devil
Marshall Class 5
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the suggestions.. those Blackhearts sound really good from what I'm reading.. hadn't even heard of them before. As for the guitar, I'm wondering if the Gibson studio is worth all that extra money. Granted, it will have better pick-ups than the Epi Traditional Pro.. and over-all better tone on top of a few other things, but that's more along the lines of stuff I will probably be saving up for in the future.

Plus, I am really interested in that coil-tapping in the Traditional Pro. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind however, and will keep my eye out for deals on used ones once I get some money.
I own a Blackheart Little Giant. They sound great and take pedals really well. Just make sure you buy a backup set of tubes soon after you get it. The cheap Chinese tubes are shit.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Oh, don't worry.. I'll be right back here asking about what tubes I should get after I get a tube amp =P

On another note, is there any tube amp that doesn't take pedals very well? Because almost every single review I've read on a tube amp says that the amp in question takes pedals well, and if it doesn't say that, there's no mention of it not taking pedals well. And I have read A LOT of reviews of tube amps... whilst drooling over the pictures lol.
Quote by Insane_Hippy
Oh, don't worry.. I'll be right back here asking about what tubes I should get after I get a tube amp. =P

JJ's
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

You can get used Gibson Studios for $500-$600 all the time, that's less than a new epi that you are looking at.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh, I had no idea the price would drop that significantly for used. I thought the price I saw on the Epi Traditional Pro was like $450 or something new.. but that's real close to the price of a used Gibson Studio I guess. Definitely warrants more thought on the subject... and feel free to throw out suggestions for other guitars too.

I really do love the LP body type, and have played an Epi LP before that was pretty nice, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards that area. Still open to other brands and body styles (I also like how Firebirds and Flying V's look)... and amp suggestions, but I am feeling rather attached to the idea of one of those Blackhearts.
Gibson SG specials go for $400 or less most of the time also

look here, just use the search bar on the right www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
stay away from the trad pro, the neck totally blows.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Do not get a DSL401. Can you say Marshall Crunch? I'm a marshall homer and I wouldn't own that one. DSL head is good. DSL combo, bad. It also runs hot.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Gibson SG specials go for $400 or less most of the time also

look here, just use the search bar on the right www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

Alright, thanks for the continued advice, I will definitely check out more used stuff from there.

Quote by romeozdistress
stay away from the trad pro, the neck totally blows.

Quite a while ago when I tried out an Epi LP (not sure what year or model it was, though), the neck felt very nice. Of course the feel of a guitar's neck can be a very subjective topic... depending on what exactly you are talking about. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

Quote by piratelooksat30
Do not get a DSL401. Can you say Marshall Crunch? I'm a marshall homer and I wouldn't own that one. DSL head is good. DSL combo, bad. It also runs hot.

Thanks for the warning, as I said before, I'm leaning towards the Blackhearts anyways.

It will be a nice reality check for me having a tube amp... all I've heard my Behringer GM110 compared to since I've owned it is my cousin's Fender Frontman 15g, and as such, my amp sounds awesome to me having only that to compare it to. Can't wait to have a nice tube amp to blow my GM110 out of the water =P
Not to dissuade you, but if you want an all tube amp, the Blackstar is not the amp you want, the HT series is a hybrid amp.

Go and try as many amps as you can, then decide which you like best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 17, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not to disused you, but if you want an all tube amp, the Blackstar is not the amp you want, the HT series is a hybrid amp.

Yes, perhaps a hybrid isn't for me. Either way, I will definitely take a trip to my "local" music store (not very close by, lol) before I make any final decisions. Tis always a good idea to try it before you buy it.
Quote by Insane_Hippy
Yes, perhaps a hybrid isn't for me. Either way, I will definitely take a trip to my "local" music store (not very close by, lol) before I make any final decisions. Tis always a good idea to try it before you buy it.

I have bought several amps without tying first, because finding them new is hard enough let a lone used.
I have been very happy with all of them that I have ordered blind, because I did lots of research first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes the blackhearts are good indeed

But to do the old sabbath and zeppelin's stuff, you'll need an outbord distortion, since the little giant has not master volume and even when cranked doesn't sound enough distorted, and the handsome devil doesn't too, though it has a master volume, so you can play not-too-distorted rock stuff without any trouble.

If you don't want to have to use pedals, I suggest the DSL401.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by dhyjddtjian
On another note, is there any tube amp that doesn't take pedals very well?

Yes there are.
Some amps only like certain types of FX and are not good with others.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used Gibson LP studio

For amps:
Marshall DSL401
Laney VC50
Laney Cub12
Peavey VTM
Peavey Classic 30
Blackheart little giant/handsome devil
Marshall Class 5

+1

Great list

Quote by Robbgnarly
Not to dissuade you, but if you want an all tube amp, the Blackstar is not the amp you want, the HT series is a hybrid amp.

I don't see any Blackstars recommended in this thread. I agree to go play as many amps as you can. That is the only good way.

Quote by Spambot_2
Yes the blackhearts are good indeed

But to do the old sabbath and zeppelin's stuff, you'll need an outbord distortion, since the little giant has not master volume and even when cranked doesn't sound enough distorted, and the handsome devil doesn't too, though it has a master volume, so you can play not-too-distorted rock stuff without any trouble.

If you don't want to have to use pedals, I suggest the DSL401.

I don't know. I think a 15w Blackheart should be able to do Sabbath and Zeppelin just fine on its own. For anything heavier than that, try it with an OD pedal set to 'clean' on the gain and crank the level.

Quote by dhyjddtjian
On another note, is there any tube amp that doesn't take pedals very well?

Like Robb said. Some amps do not have an FX loop so you have to run everything up front. Some amps have an FX loop but it is not a very good one. Some amps (like a Vypyr 60) you wouldn't think would take pedals well but they do. Sometimes low watt amps do not sound the greatest with pedals.

I have a Blackheart Killer Ant 1 wattr. No FX loop. One knob (volume). Great amp but no cleans and won't go higher than classic rock. I can do Sabbath and Zep on it fine. A little muddy but also very raw and authentic sounding.

+1 to Blackheart amps.

Also, where do you live and what is your high end amp budget?
the neck on traditional pro felt alot more thick than other epi les pauls to me.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I read Blackheart as Blackstar in one of the posts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you can't afford a Gibson, look into Agile. I've never seen an Epi lp that I prefer over my AL2000 Goldtop($229 new, w/hsc)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
+1 on Agile guitars
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC