So I have this amazing little dilemma on my hands.
About twelve days ago, I developed hand-foot and mouth disease (minus the mouth part). For those of you who don't know, it's usually seen in kids, but I work at a summer camp so I contracted it from one of the kids there. Lucky me. The hands and feet develop blisters everywhere, and eventually the skin will deteriorate and basically fall off. I've been using a cortazone-based cream to help with the developing of the new skin underneath, however my dilemma is this:

I've lost (/am losing) my callouses on both hands. It hurts like all hell just to TOUCH the strings on my guitar right now, let alone play. The best part is that I'm starting school for Music in two weeks at a college here in Ontario. I'm also currently recording my first EP (Acoustic) and have shows booked that I don't want to cancel. So in short, I need my fingers back, like, yesterday. Does anybody have any exercises that could help me out with re-developing my callouses? I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Or if there's an ointment that helps harden the fingers up, that'll work too. Or if I have to just man up and tough this out from ground zero and work my way back up, someone tell me the most optimal way to get my callouses back quickly. Please help! Thanks in advance!
Ouch, sorry to hear that. The best thing I can think of at the moment is maybe put your hand on ice to try and numb it, and then work on re-building your callouses? I'm no doctor or anything, so take this advice with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone else here will know what they're talking about and have better advice than me. Best of luck
Callouses are dead skin, while the rate of skin tissue death likely varies slightly from individual to individual, it is a fixed rate, and I doubt there is anything that can be done to change it.

In fact, making it die faster seems like the cure would be worse the the affliction. (Symptom of premature aging)?

If whatever you have is bacterial, then a topical antibiotic ointment consisting of the "usual suspects" (neomycyin, bacitracin, and a couple of others in the same pharmacological family), are the only patent medicines that would tentatively effect a cure. Steroids such as hydrocortizone, are targeted primarily at symptomatic relief.

Topical antibiotics are effective against such nasties as impetigo, ringworm, and other bacterial infections.

I am not a doctor. This post is only intended to share my personal experiences with the TS. It is always suggested to engage the services of a physician, rather than to seek medical advice from anyone here at UG or other ad hoc websites.

So, go see a doctor.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 17, 2013,
I wasn't sure where to ask, but this seemed like the best place,

For a talent show tomorrow I'm going to be playing Under the Same Sun by Ben Howard, my problem is I have to play a lot of harmonics by slapping my index finger against the fret, this was fine before but now I have a nail infection and it hurts really badly, what should I do? Could I put super glue or nail varnish on it? Would it be safe if my finger is cut?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Irish you should start your own thread. Hijacking is bad karma. Cheers
Adam... go see at doc, a dermatologist might be better. Heal up, and then play like hell to rebuild your fingertips.

Best of luck.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77