SlayerExoDeth
20 IQ
I've been playing bass for quite a while, and I finally got a new bass. But there was a problem: since it was used, I contacted the store where I bought it and they said that the dude who brought it in had the strings on for SEVEN YEARS. I think it's due time for a string change, and was wondering: Why not use Half-rounds for my newly acquired bass? I mean, if flatwounds are mellow and bassy while roundwounds are bright, why not get the best of both worlds? I'm just asking other opinions just to check that I'm not crazy .

I play everything from Iron Maiden to Death Angel. I'm not looking to "cut through", as I am a guitar player in a band, and not a bass player in a band. I'm really into Steve DiGiorgio's and Bob Daisleys bass tone, if that helps.

Here's a link to the tone I am looking for:

Rainbow-Kill the King

Any help is appreciated.
Gear
Ibanez RG920QM w/ stock pups
Johnson strat w/ Seymour duncan Hot Rails
Jackson RRXT w/Sh-6 and Sh-1
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMGs
BC Rich Warlock Bass
Peavey 3120
De Rosa acoustic signed by Joe Satriani
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
153 IQ
Yeah they work fine for any genre. Easier on the fingers too.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
tabdog
30 IQ
I tried um a few times. Never kept them
on a bass very long though,

Tabdog
anarkee
oh the horror!
330 IQ
For sound, they should be fine. Steve Harris uses flats, so halfs should work fine for Maiden and such.

I''m more of a flat round fan myself--I just never liked the feel of the halfs.
Spaz91
RIP Terry
560 IQ
Ground wound strings can be very nasty on your fingers and frets due to the sharp corners of the wrap. Bare this in mind
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
130 IQ
I have tried half-rounds, or "groundwounds," as they are known. Every set I tried felt sticky, as if they had been coated with adhesive. I gave up on them rather quickly. But if you like them, then there is no reason why they would not work for any genre of music.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
dark Mass
ZORK
30 IQ
The thing with groundwounds is that they're seem to be a happy medium on paper but irl they're not.

I wasn't a happy camper with them the last time I experimented with different string construction. They felt like someone applied epoxy on the BEA strings and sand on the DG(C) strings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Spaz91
RIP Terry
560 IQ
That would be the sharp edges sticking in your fingers.

Lesson of the thread: you're a lot better off with some bright flatwounds. (Nickel or chrome, preferably.)
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
Nutter_101
160 IQ
I have the Rotosound pressurewound strings on my P Bass. They give me a very nice warm growl, almost like flats but with a bit more harmonic content. I like 'em.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
SlayerExoDeth
20 IQ
I got the half-rounds; they sound great!

But, yes, they seem really sticky. After about a half-hour or so, I get used to them. As for the tone, it's not too bright (which I like), but not to dull. I just turn up the treble slightly to get bite. All in all, awesome purchase. Definitely buying more later!
Gear
Ibanez RG920QM w/ stock pups
Johnson strat w/ Seymour duncan Hot Rails
Jackson RRXT w/Sh-6 and Sh-1
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMGs
BC Rich Warlock Bass
Peavey 3120
De Rosa acoustic signed by Joe Satriani