terrapinturtle
10 IQ
ok so i have a mim hss strat, never really wanted an hss strat but i got it for 75 bucks, i really love p90s so I'm wondering if i got a p90 like a Lindy Fralin or whatever could i make it just a drop in with the soap bar kind? just drill the two mounting screws straight to the body? and obviously wire it up... anyone ever done this?
johnnykbop
10 IQ
P-90s are quite a lot wider so you'd have to recut your pickguard and route the body as well.

If you really want the P-90 sound, Seymour Duncan have the Phat Cat that drops straight into humbucker space. Or there's the P-Rails, which with a little wiring mastery will give you the choice between P-90, single coil, and humbucker style all from the same PU.
Viban
UG's resident bum
150 IQ
He might not have to route the body if his guitar has a swimming pool route. Lift your pickguard and look underneath to See what type of route it has, if it does have a swimming pool then you might be able to just widen the slots in your pickguard.

Swimming pool route

HSS route
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Lin689
10 IQ
Quote by johnnykbop

If you really want the P-90 sound, Seymour Duncan have the Phat Cat that drops straight into humbucker space. Or there's the P-Rails, which with a little wiring mastery will give you the choice between P-90, single coil, and humbucker style all from the same PU.

Add Gibson P-94 to that. I've put them in my Epiphone Firebird Studio a year ago and i absolutely love them.