Page 1 of 3
Some of the people who frequent the Pit may have seen me complaining about having enlisted into a firefighter course.

The firefighter course officially starts on Monday and I'm quite sure it'll be hell, so I'm just interested in knowing what nonsense you guys had to go through in your life, whether it's in the form of physical training due to enlistment or whatever, or mental anguish, etc.
Last edited by triface at Aug 17, 2013,
Most of my school life and general childhood and getting sectioned a few months back.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I had to go through an issue of constructive dismissal with a former employer who accussed me of theft and fraud wth no evidence (because I hadn't done anything), conducted the disciplanry procedure incorrectly, harrassed me (by placing the responsibility for all issues on me, even though I am not a manager, turned up to conduct disciplinary investigations without informing me so I could arrange for an independant witness) and other things. It left me physically ill, mentally unfit and unemployed, as I decided to leave even though I was, and continue to be, innocent of all accusations.

Edit: I know this won't compare to people with parents who have died and the such, but this is the hardestthing I've been throuh in my adult life. The anger, fear, the not knowing what's going to happen, feeling of betrayal... it was f*cking horrible.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 17, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal
Most of my school life and general childhood and getting sectioned a few months back.

Maybe you wanna elaborate? I'll elaborate on mine too

Basically, I'm training to become a firefighter leader in a sense. This past week was what can only be referred to as a precourse, in that it's kind of like an orientation. Enlistment is compulsory for all males where I live, and my group is kind of special because we were combined with those who have already completed their draft and decided to sign on into the course. All of us are essentially regulars, even for those of us who haven't completed our draft obligation.

I know for a fact that the past week (which is conducted at a centre which is adjacent to the one we're going to next week) was actually comparatively relaxing.

There was a shitload of pushups (I'm not trying to be a baby or anything; I can do pushups, but I have trouble doing about 100 of them in one go, or slightly more if you space it out within a training session). I understand it only gets worse when the course starts.

Obviously being a firefighter also entails having to wear heavy and extremely hot bunker gear, but I'm not actually worried about that. I'm just really worried about the much stricter discipline and regimentation required (the experienced regulars really have a devil-may-care attitude which I'm not a fan of, because that just means more punishment sessions) and the inevitably large amount of pushups that they loooooove to mete out.

Edit: Just to give a bit of perspective, I was unfit about a year ago, until I started training to improve my stamina and strength (nothing fancy; just a personal program without gym or anything that brought me from unfit to average). I'm more a brainy person, so the physical training has been a little overwhelming for me.
Waiting for the ambulance, the hospital, the funeral.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
My dad dying when I was 4, and my mom being in that same car crash and surviving with a damaged leg. Growing up up without a father because of that.

Living with a step-dad who was psychotic. Punched walls, kept CP in his computer, claimed I took a shit on his rug, was bi-polar, possibly schizo, etc.

My mom being diagnosed with breast cancer and my grandma dying after my mom's treatment finished.

Two years of clinical depression.

That all sucked pretty hard.
Quote by Philip_pepper
My dad dying when I was 4, and my mom being in that same car crash and surviving with a damaged leg. Growing up up without a father because of that.

Living with a step-dad who was psychotic. Punched walls, kept CP in his computer, claimed I took a shit on his rug, was bi-polar, possibly schizo, etc.

My mom being diagnosed with breast cancer and my grandma dying after my mom's treatment finished.

Two years of clinical depression.

That all sucked pretty hard.

Sorry to hear that

Really gives me some perspective on my predicament. It doesn't make it any less scary, or less tough, but in a way it really just pales in comparison to what you had to go through.
Quote by triface
Sorry to hear that

Really gives me some perspective on my predicament. It doesn't make it any less scary, or less tough, but in a way it really just pales in comparison to what you had to go through.

You're still young dude, you might still have a shit ton of shite coming your way.

How tough is it to become a firefighter?
Being born; I haven't had to squeeze my entire body through a hole that tough ever since! Definitely the toughest thing I've had to go through.

Unless you mean actually tough, In which case I had to crawl through a cave once. The rocks were pretty tough.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Working on a oil/crude oil tanker. 4 months without stepping ashore. ****ing insane, working during storms in North Sea and what not. Bleh.
Oddly I've never considered the physical stuff all that tough, even Marine Boot camp back in the 70's. It was generally fun

Most of the tough stuff were mental things and such things dull with the passage of time. So I don't feel anything about my first divorce as it's been almost 20 years since it ended. The couple of years prior to the current divorce was pretty tough as I tried to figure out what I was doing wrong and that went right to the edge, looking down on oblivion. After she left I spent about 4 months in pretty bad shape until December last year when I seemed to snap out of it. Now I have no feelings at all about her departure. Possibly because I had been dealing with my cat who got cancer behind her eye and had to put sent over the rainbow a few months ago. That defined the word "devastated" for me. I still get a little emotional from time to time at her loss.

Physical stuff is just physical. Mental stuff changes your life.

Carl
Fender Telecaster and HSS Stratocaster - Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Princeton Reverb - Fender Rumble 75
Morley Bad Horsey Wah - Boss BD-2 | CS-3 | DS-1 | MT-2 | ODB-3
Peavey PV14 - IPR 3000 - PR15
Quote by Philip_pepper
You're still young dude, you might still have a shit ton of shite coming your way.

How tough is it to become a firefighter?

Honestly right now I'm pretty confident that this will be the most shit I have to face ever physically. Of course mentally would be a whole different ballpark.

I'm not being all depressed and shit and saying this is the worst thing anyone can ever have to go through, but for me this is really at a 10/10 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the toughest thing I have to face. I actually broke down many times, many times almost in public, and once in the presence of two ladies who came to visit me when I was explaining my predicament and how I had half a mind to quit the course (and leave a black mark on my resume forever because there is a bond involved) from all the stress.

Edit: This is slowly turning into an Aunt Agony session. I'd insert a emoticon here but I'm so stressed out.
I played hockey my whole life starting at age four, and picked up rugby in grade 9. I started running into concussion problems in grade eleven and eventually had to stop playing both after enough bad ones. It was definitely one of the toughest things for me mentally because I had been playing some type of sport my whole life and now had to stop entirely. Even physically, I wasn't able to bring my heart rate up too high or I would trigger symptoms. After a few years now I'm finally going to try to play rugby again this fall and am absolutely ecstatic about it.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by triface
Honestly right now I'm pretty confident that this will be the most shit I have to face ever physically. Of course mentally would be a whole different ballpark.

I'm not being all depressed and shit and saying this is the worst thing anyone can ever have to go through, but for me this is really at a 10/10 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the toughest thing I have to face. I actually broke down many times, many times almost in public, and once in the presence of two ladies who came to visit me when I was explaining my predicament and how I had half a mind to quit the course (and leave a black mark on my resume forever because there is a bond involved) from all the stress.

What do you have to do?
My mom practically kicked my ass out of the house before I even hit 13, and I never even met my dad. My only friend till I was 10 was the ****** prick next door who was always beating the shit out of me and telling me I wasn't worth shit. Its not even like I had a choice, the town ****ing had something like 9 people living in it, I shit you not. My entire adolescence was just moving around from place to place trying to get along with people who didn't even want me.

You think that's the worst? My only friend was an Asian guy in his 20's or something, who only kept me around because he thought I could help him get laid. The only perk was that I also got to hang around with this cute ginger chick, she was flat as a pancake sure, but damn she was a total nymph, She must have been a sadist or something cause she always took pleasure in hitting me and telling me how she loved to get wet.

But dear god the bane of my existence was this adult couple that I could NOT seem to avoid. You know these types of couples that are absolutely sickening, like they wear matching outfits and finish each other's sentences? Yeah they were ****ing creepers, and they had a cat, which was at least twice as annoying as they were, I swear this thing would never shut the **** up.

Like I said I ended up moving from town to town getting into fights with other kids my age, even adults from time to time. The only thing that kept me going was my dream to become a pokemon master.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by HayabusaJack
Oddly I've never considered the physical stuff all that tough, even Marine Boot camp back in the 70's. It was generally fun

Most of the tough stuff were mental things and such things dull with the passage of time. So I don't feel anything about my first divorce as it's been almost 20 years since it ended. The couple of years prior to the current divorce was pretty tough as I tried to figure out what I was doing wrong and that went right to the edge, looking down on oblivion. After she left I spent about 4 months in pretty bad shape until December last year when I seemed to snap out of it. Now I have no feelings at all about her departure. Possibly because I had been dealing with my cat who got cancer behind her eye and had to put sent over the rainbow a few months ago. That defined the word "devastated" for me. I still get a little emotional from time to time at her loss.

Carl

Philosophical in his shit.

Quote by Mind_Reader7
My mom practically kicked my ass out of the house before I even hit 13, and I never even met my dad. My only friend till I was 10 was the ****** prick next door who was always beating the shit out of me and telling me I wasn't worth shit. Its not even like I had a choice, the town ****ing had something like 9 people living in it, I shit you not. My entire adolescence was just moving around from place to place trying to get along with people who didn't even want me.

You think that's the worst? My only friend was an Asian guy in his 20's or something, who only kept me around because he thought I could help him get laid. The only perk was that I also got to hang around with this cute ginger chick, she was flat as a pancake sure, but damn she was a total nymph, She must have been a sadist or something cause she always took pleasure in hitting me and telling me how she loved to get wet.

But dear god the bane of my existence was this adult couple that I could NOT seem to avoid. You know these types of couples that are absolutely sickening, like they wear matching outfits and finish each other's sentences? Yeah they were ****ing creepers, and they had a cat, which was at least twice as annoying as they were, I swear this thing would never shut the **** up.

Like I said I ended up moving from town to town getting into fights with other kids my age, even adults from time to time. The only thing that kept me going was my dream to become a pokemon master.

I hate you. You got me good.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 17, 2013,
watching my playmate getting spanked real hard by his mother. Fighting myself not to burst in laughter because she was staring at my smirkface.
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Masterpiece.
I have had my fair share of shit for now, that's very private to me though so I wouldn't share it here for time being, but well.

Y'know, I want to be a firefighter when I get older (I'm 16, and there's no such thing as juniores in Italy) And I'm pretty damn skinny. Like A ****ING LOT.

Just thought I'd share this with you then, triface.
Just do know why you want to be a fireman, and be damn ENTHUSIAST about it. It's what you want to achieve? Give that little extra when it hurts.
Eventually, someone will look up to you and say "Thank you." and maybe you will smile briefly and look away and say "Don't mention it", as I did, but talking for the very few I've had as a first aider, you will remember it and the look they will give you will be the best ever answer to what you will be probably often asked: "Why do you do what you do?"

Good luck, and stay safe
The Invention of Lying.

I love Ricky Gervais but that was a bad bad film.
signature
Physically it was one of two things;

1) Walking 5 miles uphill on a warm day with my bass in its hardcase (a Stingray in a wooden case; not a light combination). Doesn't sound too bad but by damn my hands were ruined by the end of that.

2). Cycling 26 miles. Not really a tough ask relatively, but I was phoned up by my vocalist the day before to ask if I could fill in on a sponsored bike ride for his brother who had other engagements. I'm not an unfit person, but I hadn't prepared at all and hadn't been on a bike for about 12-13 years at this point.

Mentally it was one of three things:

1) My 15 year old cousin dying when I was about 12 years old. He killed himself... I never really found out the full story surrounding it, I think there's a bit of a dark backstory to it but it doesn't get spoken of. That in itself didn't affect me massively at that age, it was more observing the way it affected everybody else.

2) The ex-rhythm guitarist from my band dying a couple of years ago. He went missing, and the usual city wide search happened etc, not a sign anywhere. He appeared to just disappear by following the CCTV footage. They found him at the bottom of the river 12 days after he went missing. I think I'd just sort of convinced myself it was nothing and that he'd skipped town or something.

3) An ex-partner having a supposed miscarriage. I never really understood what happened there. There was a pregnancy scare that lasted about three months and then I was told that everything was fine again and not to worry again. After our relationship ended I was informed she'd had a miscarriage. I'm not sure whether to believe it given the person herself, to be honest. Either way, the thought of it had me in a pretty dark place for a while.

All in all I count myself pretty lucky that these are the worst things to happen to me in 21 years. There are people who've been dealt much worse cards in life. I can't imagine what the deaths I've experienced must have been like for the direct family, and I know a couple of people who've experienced still-borns. I suppose it can always be worse.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Quote by ClaudioL49
I have had my fair share of shit for now, that's very private to me though so I wouldn't share it here for time being, but well.

Y'know, I want to be a firefighter when I get older (I'm 16, and there's no such thing as juniores in Italy) And I'm pretty damn skinny. Like A ****ING LOT.

Just thought I'd share this with you then, triface.
Just do know why you want to be a fireman, and be damn ENTHUSIAST about it. It's what you want to achieve? Give that little extra when it hurts.
Eventually, someone will look up to you and say "Thank you." and maybe you will smile briefly and look away and say "Don't mention it", as I did, but talking for the very few I've had as a first aider, you will remember it and the look they will give you will be the best ever answer to what you will be probably often asked: "Why do you do what you do?"

Good luck, and stay safe

I totally understand what you're trying to get at, but it's the training that is really bringing me down. So far, I have been able to cope physically (it's a little hard, but manageable if I push myself), but my mental health has been going way down since a few weeks ago. I wouldn't even be surprised if I were diagnosed with depression.
Had a think about how different my life would be if I'd have tried to be the best I could be, cried a bit.
20 years of a shit household
Being diagnosed with Chron's Disease at 13 years old
Family mental health issues that I won't discuss here
Clinical depression
Messed up systems and arthritic joints because of the drugs I've been on for years for said Chron's Disease
Tinnitus

Yep

Life isn't bad, but if you asked me the hardest things I have gone through (and still am going through) those would be it.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Another person with Crohns, has been about the thing that i have trouble with the most, especially when i don't always get to be near a restroom with my job, and the arthritis from it makes it hard to keep up sometimes.

Other than that it's probably depression and financial stress.
Physically...

At 14, I was grabbed by three men in a van on my way home from high school, who proceeced to viciously beat and rape me. The situation ended with a broken right shoulder, left ankle, right wrist, nose and jaw. Left zygomatic bone fractured and a massive concussion.

Had to undergo emergency surgery, but ended with almost complete blindness in my left eye. Months of rehab to regain strength in my legs. Pushed forth the Anthropophobia.

At 20, I was pushed by my father, after assault, from my second floor bedroom window, breaking several bones. I only remember waking up in the hospital, nothing else.

Mentally...

Everyday in my parents house from the age of 6 to 20.
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Aug 17, 2013,
Parents almost getting divorced when I was in high school, but then they decided not to because of the difficulty of the situation it would create (long story). They argue less now but it's still just a bad vibe in the household.

And being in a long distance relationship sucks.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by HayabusaJack

Carl

well i mean unless you get all your limbs cut off. That would suck
Dealing with my dad growing up. He was comically abusive. He's beat my mom, me, and my sisters numerous times. He was a drug addict (mainly heroin, prescription pills, and crack), and a drunk. I can't remember a single night he was sober. He's pulled guns on my immediate family a lot, leading to a TON of death threats from him. My parents divorced, but he kept me. On the last day I spent with him, he mixed a bunch of pills and alcohol and started to attempt to commit suicide and make me watch. The whole time he was saying stuff like "this is what you wanted the whole time right? I'm doing this for you because it's what you always wanted you prick." Then he barricaded the apartment and eventually I had to let the SWAT team in through the back door. I think I was 11 or 12 when this happened.

I haven't seen him since then, but every now and then he calls me and starts saying how everything that happened was my fault and that he's going to come down to kill me and my family but I don't believe so it's like w/e I don't care anymore I've been over it for years.
oh this one time when I was 13 I had a shit in the shower cos I was really ****ing depressed and just proper didn't know what to do

had to shovel it up with a dustpan
never again
Quote by Ssargentslayer
well i mean unless you get all your limbs cut off. That would suck

Sure it would suck, but it's the mental game you have to get over. Think of Stephen Hawking who can only speak by moving his eyes on a computer screen.

Carl
Fender Telecaster and HSS Stratocaster - Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Princeton Reverb - Fender Rumble 75
Morley Bad Horsey Wah - Boss BD-2 | CS-3 | DS-1 | MT-2 | ODB-3
Peavey PV14 - IPR 3000 - PR15
Had this one girlfriend, found out a few months in that she had two types of cancer. She had to take medication that was basically heroin to ease the pain, but sometimes she would be in so much pain she'd start throwing up and shit. One time about 8 months into the relationship, it hit her so hard that she passed out, so i drove her to the hospital and carried her myself into the emergency room. She ended up being ok after that, but a couple weeks later her psychotic ex-bf (who was in the military) started threatening her and me and our families. He went legitimate AWOL from the military and stole an assault rifle, a handgun, and pack of grenades and kept calling us from different phoens making all kinds of threats. The local police, the provincial police, AND ****ing mounties were all looking for this lunatic before he caused a lot of damage, it was a big manhunt at that point. She had to go into hiding, i was instructed to not leave my house. He ended up being caught a week or so later, but it was a ****ed up experience.

She cheated on me around 9 months. I never talked to her again after i found out she cheated. She kept calling me, texting me, etc, but i basically just said **** off and leave me alone forever. She died a couple months after that. I still blame myself for her death.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Had this one girlfriend, found out a few months in that she had two types of cancer. She had to take medication that was basically heroin to ease the pain, but sometimes she would be in so much pain she'd start throwing up and shit. One time about 8 months into the relationship, it hit her so hard that she passed out, so i drove her to the hospital and carried her myself into the emergency room. She ended up being ok after that, but a couple weeks later her psychotic ex-bf (who was in the military) started threatening her and me and our families. He went legitimate AWOL from the military and stole an assault rifle, a handgun, and pack of grenades and kept calling us from different phoens making all kinds of threats. The local police, the provincial police, AND ****ing mounties were all looking for this lunatic before he caused a lot of damage, it was a big manhunt at that point. She had to go into hiding, i was instructed to not leave my house. He ended up being caught a week or so later, but it was a ****ed up experience.

She cheated on me around 9 months. I never talked to her again after i found out she cheated. She kept calling me, texting me, etc, but i basically just said **** off and leave me alone forever. She died a couple months after that. I still blame myself for her death.

You can't blame yourself for it, mate. She had cancer. It takes people regardless. You did nothing wrong. You cared about your relationship enough that you completely cut her off when you found out she cheated. You shouldn't feel like you should be carrying someone through their problems after they treated you as much. 9 months of cheating on you isn't a mistake, it's taking you for a mug. Sorry for not sugar coating this because she died, but I really think you shouldn't be blaming yourself for something that isn't your fault.
Page 1 of 3