Hello,
I am at a dilemma, for my upcoming birthday I can get an electric guitar with a budget of £400 (~$625) I play many types of rock and alternative(Foo fighters, Greenday, MUSE, Led Zep, ACDC, Arctic Monkeys), I would like a guitar for both distortion and clean tones. I am drawn to a Fender MIM Telecaster but I think I will probably swap the bridge pickup for a SD Lil' 59 single coil sized humbucker. Also I am drawn to the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro, as it has nice humbuckers but I fear of the build quality of epiphones and the fact that in the back of your head you will always know that its not a Gibson. If anybody can offer an opinion or an alternative to these it would be much appreciated.
Two completely different guitars that could both do what you want. The Les Paul is slightly better suited but you could certainly do those sounds with a tele. When you're looking at two completely different guitars such as this, you really need to go to a guitar shop and try them and others out.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
a fret king blue label superstrat with a bridge humbucker (or p90) might be worth considering. frets music centre has a couple for bang-on £400. Not the absolute best pickups, but better than the MIM standards if you ask me (they're actually alnico, for a start).

thomann has one of the older japanese-made fender pawn shop 51s for £350. bridge humbucker, neck single coil, again probably worth considering if 21 frets aren't a problem (guessing they're not if you're looking at MIMs). Haven't tried it, but MIJ is rarely a bad thing, especially at that price point.

You might be able to find a godin for around that kind of money. again, probably worth considering.

I think you can do better than either an MIM standard or an epiphone for £400, in other words. However, you could also do a lot worse, they're fine guitars normally, to be fair. and if it's important, the resale on them will probably hold better than those more obscure brands.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 17, 2013,
Since Dave Mc has already made my suggestions...

Quote by Dave_Mc
a fret king blue label superstrat with a bridge humbucker (or p90) might be worth considering. frets music centre has a couple for bang-on £400. Not the absolute best pickups, but better than the MIM standards if you ask me (they're actually alnico, for a start).

Here are some Fret-Kings I found on eBay, put there by a couple of UK music stores (namely, Frets Guitar Centre and Ivor Mairants Musicentre).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fret-King-Esprit-5-Trans-Amber-Electric-Guitar-With-Gigbag-/290941329997?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43bd74624d
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Elan-Super-50-SSP-Laguna-Blue-b-stock-/141022587697
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Ventura-Super-60-HB3-Laguna-Blue-b-stock-/130953954040
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Ventura-Super-60-SSH-Coral-Red-b-stock-/141022605470
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Elan-Super-50-HBP-Gloss-Black-ex-demo-/130953924650
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Blue-Label-Super-60-Original-Vintage-Burst-ex-demo-/141022625611
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Super-S-Electric-Guitar-Trans-Blue-Brand-New-/130931024127
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Super-60SP-Orange-Metallic-/290923526753
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Blue-Label-Blue-Label-Super-60-SP-Electric-Orange-Metallic-ex-demo-/141022594915

You might be able to find a godin for around that kind of money. again, probably worth considering.

While I don't own one, I've tried out a bunch of Godins in store. They're very well made and they feel & sound good. I occasionally see Godin on sites like Thomann that are just over £400. The models you'd be looking for are in the Session or Progression lines....maybe the Richmond line.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 17, 2013,
yeah i think i've only been able to try one godin (they're pretty rare here), but it was pretty nice.

it's also worth checking stores' own websites as well as ebay- sometimes they're cheaper direct from the stores' own websites (because of the ebay fees, I presume). Also (unless it's been sold) there was an HSS super 60 on the frets website, too, as well as the p90/s/s one they have on ebay (at £30 cheaper too, IIRC).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Those Super 60s on eBay are the ones from Frets Guitar Centre. Having personally bought from those guys, I can say they were super helpful getting it sorted for me for shipping to the USA, so I'd buy from them in a heartbeat.

(Which is sorta why I know about these postings! )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

yeah i bought from them too and no complaints here either. I was just saying that on their own website, the prices are lower.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah! I hadn't noticed! I'll have to check the prices on the Ivor Maraints site, too, then.

Thanks for the heads-up!

no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Interesting- Ivor's website doesn't seem to list those b-stock a Fret-Kings at all.

yeah. it really pays to check out ebay and the shops' own websites, sometimes ebay has stuff the shop website doesn't have and vice-versa. Of course that gets longsome really quickly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just got a Fender JA-90 and it's perfect for what you want, its a bit over budget, you could get one used for that price though
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 18, 2013,
I disliked the Fender Pawn shop, it didnt seem much of an improvement from my current guitar (an Epi LP100). I looked into the Blacktop Telecaster but they are overbudget and very few are on ebay. Those Fret Kings don't thrill me particularly and neither do the godins,
Quote by MutantWombat
I disliked the Fender Pawn shop, it didnt seem much of an improvement from my current guitar (an Epi LP100). I looked into the Blacktop Telecaster but they are overbudget and very few are on ebay. Those Fret Kings don't thrill me particularly and neither do the godins,

370 GBP, Gibson pickups and hardcase included
Quote by MutantWombat
I disliked the Fender Pawn shop, it didnt seem much of an improvement from my current guitar (an Epi LP100). Those Fret Kings don't thrill me particularly and neither do the godins,

You'll have a bigger budget if you stop taking whatever drugs you're on.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Play nice, Dave!

aw come on, he deserved it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?