Poll: is a thief providing for their family respectable?
Poll Options
View poll results: is a thief providing for their family respectable?
Yes, I can respect it
19 14%
Yes, but only if the circumstance is extreme
52 39%
No, but it is not the worst that could happen
38 28%
Absolutely not
25 19%
Voters: 134.
Page 1 of 3
A parent robs multiple businesses to support his or her family. Eventually, they are arrested and jailed. Without the "income" from the robberies, their children would not have had a substantial meal for days, possibly weeks.

Is that person respectable, even in the slightest? What is your opinion?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Aug 17, 2013,
Ethics debate, go!
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Are we talking about, like in the Middle Ages? Or in the western world in modern times, where I'm fairly certain there are multiple options to resort to without stealing to prevent children from going hungry?
Quote by eGraham

Is that person respectable, even in the slightest? What is your opinion?

To answer your question without starting a shitstorm, that person was willing to risk their life and give up their freedom for the ones they love. That's respectable in my book.
ayy lmao
Modern world. Like if you saw this on a news broadcast today.

And try to be color blind as you approach it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Modern world. Like if you saw this on a news broadcast today.

And try to be color blind as you approach it.

Well this leads to the question: What country was it in? What was their social program like? Would the children have gone hungry because the parent was too proud to resort to government assistance, too stubborn to get food stamps? Did the parent refuse to ask friends and family for help in his/her dire situation? Did the parent also commit the robbery to finance a gambling or substance abuse problem? Why was theft the option that the parent chose?
Would you hire a black man or a white woman?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by MakinLattes
What is a multiple business?
it is like a new Walmart

I'm on my phone, I'll fix it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Providing for your family is respectable, but stealing isn't so basically it's half respectable.
What kind of business? Locally owned small business or large chains? Is anyone getting hurt? Are they taking what they need to support their family, or are they stealing and hoarding large amounts of money? Why can't they qualify for social programs?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Well this leads to the question: What country was it in? What was their social program like? Would the children have gone hungry because the parent was too proud to resort to government assistance, too stubborn to get food stamps? Did the parent refuse to ask friends and family for help in his/her dire situation? Did the parent also commit the robbery to finance a gambling or substance abuse problem? Why was theft the option that the parent chose?

That was way more than a question.

Country and social systems don't matter, because we are under the assumption that the kids would not receive enough food otherwise. The parent had no personal vices which the theft would pay for, it is strictly for their kids.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
That was way more than a question.

Country and social systems don't matter, because we are under the assumption that the kids would not receive enough food otherwise. The parent had no personal vices which the theft would pay for, it is strictly for their kids.

So now the parent is arrested and sent to jail, and the kids are left without a provider. What happens to them now? Does the government take care of them? Do friends or family? Was that not possible before the parent went to jail?

Or do they just starve, making the parent's sacrifice and actions ultimately pointless?
Quote by CoreysMonster
So now the parent is arrested and sent to jail, and the kids are left without a provider. What happens to them now? Does the government take care of them? Do friends or family? Was that not possible before the parent went to jail?

Or do they just starve, making the parent's sacrifice and actions ultimately pointless?

I think it is a fair assumption that, given the situation and now lack of one parent, that the kids would be placed into foster care.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Let's assume it's in the USA

I think it's respectable, but dumb.

It was brave to do so as a parent. If you do it for yourself it's just lame.. if you do it for your children it's brave. Brave in the way of; risky.
Although, he was dumb for doing it, he meant it in a good way, but got his family even in more sh*t since he's now going to jail, thus one income less.

Stealing from big companies is not the same as stealing from a local liquor store.
Big companies have monopolies and deliberately put on high prices, while small one-man buisinesses are just retailers of the big companies. Wether you steal 500 dollars from a company or a bank that has millions and billions of dollars, or you steal 500 dollars from a local night shop (which is roughly 15% to 20% of it's monthly income).

It is however fully understandable. Middle-class people got this pink-collored glasses, they think freedom and equality is everywhere, while for a broke person (especially if you're black or not autochtonous to the country) it's very, very hard to find something.

Would I do it? Sure.. some psychologists (that are paid by companies) will call me a sociopath.. but damn

Do I support this move? No, but it's a final resort, with a very likely bad outcome.

But then again, the parent knew the consequences.
And also very important, why did the parents got kids in the first place? They looked up at "love" and "family" but forgot that they live in a cruel world.
Last edited by AmirT at Aug 17, 2013,
Most businesses (if they're smart of course) are insured. So factoring that in, I'd have to say it's respectable, however it would be much more respectable to put the kids up for adoption in a situation where the parent can't support their family.
Quote by eGraham
I think it is a fair assumption that, given the situation and now lack of one parent, that the kids would be placed into foster care.

So now as a result of the parent's actions, the parent's fucked, the kids are with strangers as their new mom and dad (if they're lucky, and not just left in a children's home), and the parent will most likely not be allowed to see them until they are adults, AND will have a horrible time in prison AND have an even harder time trying to find a job as a result of it.

It's very hard for me to believe that all of this happens in a system where children starving is okay when they have a biological parent around, but once there's no parent, the government or protective services decide to immediately step in and take care of everything.
Theives deserve to be hung but so do most businesses so they cancel each other out and are not good or bad.
If someone were to steal from a scum bin like Wal Mart, I would have no problem with that. As for myself, I do not steal and probably never will unless it's my only chance of survival.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Are we talking about, like in the Middle Ages? Or in the western world in modern times, where I'm fairly certain there are multiple options to resort to without stealing to prevent children from going hungry?
This... Never good to steal
They shouldn't have gotten into a relationship or had children in the first place if they can't provide for a family

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I need more information regarding their family history. How did they end up in that situation? I wouldn't say it's respectable but depending on the circumstances it can definitely be understandable.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
They shouldn't have gotten into a relationship or had children in the first place if they can't provide for a family

Sometimes families get thrown into unexpected holes of shit. They could very likely have been doing well for many years, until boom, some tragedy happens and they're left completely without money.
To take what others have worked hard for when you are not willing to work hard is morally wrong. If you cant support children, dont have them. If you do have children take the responsibility and get a job. Dont take from what others have gained from having their own jobs.
Quote by jeremypaul11
To take what others have worked hard for when you are not willing to work hard is morally wrong. If you cant support children, dont have them. If you do have children take the responsibility and get a job. Dont take from what others have gained from having their own jobs.

That's kind of the crux of the story; some people are without a job for a long time. It's not always easy to find a job. And as CoreysMonster said, it's too simple to say not to have children when you can't support them; plenty of people lose their jobs when they already have a family.
Quote by chev311e
There's way too many questions being asked itt.

There are*
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'd say it's acceptable but you gotta get working on something stable
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
It's not acceptable. Find an honest, legal source of income.

Oh, kids are involved? Well, the parent(s) should have thought about that before kids came into the equation. No exceptions. Sucks for the kids, though. My heart goes out to the kids, not the thief.

Also, the parent should have thought ahead on how such a stupid decision would affect the kids and what would happen to them after said arrest. Supplying what your family needs is numero uno. But, if it's going to tear the family apart, is it really the best decision when there are so many different and better avenues of choices to make?

Catch my drift?
in the slightest, yea. but only in an inconsequential, nonlegal sense.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by CoreysMonster

This.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm sure they could have found other ways to provide for their family without having to risk ultimately not being able to provide for them in the end. I think it's more respectable when someone works their ass off to provide for their family, as opposed to just stealing it.

Also, what kind of example is this going to set for their kids? How is that going to affect them when their parent(s) get arrested.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 17, 2013,
Has he ever injured or hurt someone in the robberies?

I would say it would be ethically acceptable to ME as long as he didn't rob minor businesses and hurt anyone, as long as it is strictly for the children and assuming he could not, in any way, find a better, legal option
Quote by ClaudioL49
Has he ever injured or hurt someone in the robberies?

I would say it would be ethically acceptable to ME as long as he didn't rob minor businesses and hurt anyone, as long as it is strictly for the children and assuming he could not, in any way, find a better, legal option

The first person he stole from could not feed his children the next day. The second person he stole from fell behind in his rent and got tossed out on the street. The third person he stole from was unable to pay all of his tuition and was forced to drop out of school. The fourth person he stole from blamed another and destroyed a friendship. Nope he never hurt anybody.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 3