Okay, so I am getting better at guitar and I really want to start experimenting with different sounds. I play a Peavey T-15 electric guitar (23.5 inch neck with 20 frets). I'm not savvy with music theory so I have no idea if I am explaining my question properly, but I will do my best. So I want to mess with the gauge of my strings, I have tried (and this is how I know how to explain them) 8's all the way to 11's. So far I tend to play with 10's, but I really don't like how the big E string sounds. So I wanted to move the gauge of the bigger E string down, but keep the small E at a 10 or 9. Now is there some sort of mathematical equation for solving the problem of what size the middle strings should be? I saw that Earnie Ball had a set of strings for the opposite set up, and to the best of my knowledge didn't have something from what I described in a pre-package already. Or is this even something I should be doing in the first place? Maybe a lesson on what the technical terms are are in order as well.
you can get hybrid sets

alternatively you can make up your own with single strings

i seem to remember some of the big string makers (d'addario, maybe, but don't quote me on that) had a string tension calculator on their website.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What should the string tensions be exactly? Or how do I figure that out?
I use the same gauges in Earnie Ball Regular Slinky. I was thinking of dropping the big E to a 40 but keeping the small E at a 10.
You could string up with nothing but 30's if you wanted to, I believe you're overthinking this

Ernie Ball makes a set called "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom" that you might like. If I remember correctly it's 10-52 or something like that. Some people prefer having a wound G string too, there's quite a few sets that offer that as well.

EDIT: You're wanting to go lighter on the low E, apologies. I'm not sure of a set off the top of my head but I'm sure it exists.

EDITx2: The only thing I'm finding is a 12-string set from GHS, you could make your set from these http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/9683/GHS-Boomers-GB12L-12-String-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Set-%2810-40%29/

Your set probably exists somewhere, you'll just have to look around.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 17, 2013,
You can really do whatever you like! Don't ever be afraid to experiment.

I currently play Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on my electrics (9-42s) and love them.

I can't recommend Ernie Balls enough. I know they have the following ranges:

Regular Slinky: 10-46
Hybrid Slinky: 9-46 (your top three strings are lighter gauge but bottom three are the same as regular)
Super Slinky:9-42 (all strings are lighter than regular).
Extra Bottom End Slinky: 10-52

The Hybrids will probably solve your problem with moving the E string down and keeping things light on top.
If you really wanted to beef it up look at the 10-52s although I found these used to eat my picks up really quickly.

Good Luck!
C

Lead Guitarist and Vocalist for Create|Destroy
Sonic Straitjacket
and Free Beer (acoustic covers)

My gear:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Jackson RR24
Cole Clark Angel
Ibanez VBT 700
Ibanez XPT 700
Ibanez SZ 520 QM
46 isn't very heavy. Methinks maybe you just need to tweak your EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Makias
What should the string tensions be exactly? Or how do I figure that out?

they can be whatever you want, within reason. That's why different people use different gauges. As I said, I think some of the string big string manufacturers has a calculator on their website.

But as Flux'D says, you're probably overthinking this. If you want to get a similar feel to a 24.75" scale on your 23.5" scale neck, i'd go up a gauge. If you like 10s at 24.75", try 11s, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?