Well, I'm headed off to college in just a month, and after working all summer I decided I could treat myself to a new acoustic. The only problem is I'm not sure what I would want exactly.

I'm torn between a "travel" guitar (like the martin backpacker) to have something easy to take to college, a 12-string, or an acoustic-electric Ovation.

Now I know all of these guitars are very different, but I'm simply not sure what would be the smartest idea for me. I'd like the backpacker simply because of the portability and cheap price; it wouldn't be a big deal to cart to college and back. If I would get the 12 string, I'm not sure how I'd feel about playing on that all the time as I only plan on taking on guitar. The Ovation would be convenient just because of it's shallower body and the fact that it's acoustic-electric. Overall, I just want to know if you guys have experience with any of these guitars and can help steer me in the right direction. Thanks!
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

of the 3 choices, the Ovation is hands-down the best choice. give us a few parameters to work with... do you have a budget? for $350($500 new) used you can get a Taylor GS mini. that'll fill all of your requirements. small, can take a college beating and it REALLY booms for such a small guitar!
i can't see bringing a 12 string as your only axe for school, there really is little need of it. about 3% of the songs you may play maybe.
i love ovations but the shallows really suck unplugged.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Guess I did forget to mention that! I'd like to keep my budget between 200-500, but honestly, the cheaper it is, the better.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Well, I'm headed off to college in just a month, and after working all summer I decided I could treat myself to a new acoustic. The only problem is I'm not sure what I would want exactly.

I'm torn between a "travel" guitar (like the martin backpacker) to have something easy to take to college, a 12-string, or an acoustic-electric Ovation.
It's said that with a 12 string, you spend half your time tuning it, and the other half playing out of tune.

Probably not the guitar you'd want to divide your study time with.

They do sound great though...
how about a travel guitar that's a full sized guitar? these are actually pretty nice, and very easy to fold up.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Voyage-Air-Guitar-Transit-VAMD-02-Travel-Acoustic-Guitar-108565300-i1561404.gc

and i'd like to second the GS mini. nice sounding, good quality.

the backpacker doesn't sound great to me - i prefer the washburn rover, although it's not as loud.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
can i change my suggestion ???
I'm with Walt... just no more middle-eastern hookers please... it takes weeks to get the smell of camel off your...umm..uhh...carpet, yeah that's what i meant to say carpet !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
If you do like the size of a travel guitar, maybe check out a 00 or an 0 size guitar. They are smaller than he Ovation and sound better than a travel guitar. And that would be my opinion. Good luck!
Quote by stepchildusmc
can i change my suggestion ???
I'm with Walt... just no more middle-eastern hookers please... it takes weeks to get the smell of camel off your...umm..uhh...carpet, yeah that's what i meant to say carpet !
And just what do you mean by "carpet"? And BTW, if you do it right, all the smell stays in the hooker's carpet.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 25, 2013,