So I have my amp in a road case with a built in rack and I have all my pedals in a rack drawer and they're all plugged into a power conditioner. Is there any reason I can't leave my amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier) turned on and just turn the whole rack on and off with the main switch on the power conditioner? Its just one less switch to have to flip. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Do you turn the standby switch off before the power conditioner switch or is the power conditioner's switch the only one you flip?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I often do it that way,I also don't bother to use the standby switch.

Haven't seen a problem yet but admittedly I'm only 4 decades into gear, others may have had different experiences.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I often do it that way,I also don't bother to use the standby switch.

Haven't seen a problem yet but admittedly I'm only 4 decades into gear, others may have had different experiences.

x2. Most modern amps have inrush current limiters or more fancy things to made the stand-by switch not necessary. Google Peavey Stand-by switch and read thy article.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Lavatain
Do you turn the standby switch off before the power conditioner switch or is the power conditioner's switch the only one you flip?

I usually leave it on standby until it's warmed up, then I take it off standby. That's just what I was told is the proper way to do it. But if I don't have to do that either, then that's better yet. The amp is in the bottom of the case which means I have to bend over to turn the amp on, then do something else for a minute while it warms up, then go back over, bend down, and take it off standby. If I could just turn the whole rig on with one switch, that would be great!
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
whenever i turn my tweaker off without using the standby switch, some weird "laser" type noise (like a starwars blaster) happens. im sure its just current excaping or bleeding out of a transformer or something.

i doubt its harmful, but its weird and i dont really like it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I usually have an AC120 (a Carvin power supply, something like the Furman) take care of turning everything on. It does so sequentially (you can set the intervals) so that there's no burst of power.

The standby switch is a relic, and not really necessary on anything I own. I've never injured an amp by not using it (I'm in the long-term and many-amp user category).
well i dont want to adjust my settings. so i think i will just continue to use the standby
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)