So here's the deal. I'm going out to the USA for three years for work, but I haven't really been told much about it yet. All I know is I'll be in Florida briefly, then California for two+ years. I just want to start getting my personal admin and things ready for when I go out as I want to be prepared as possible.

Anyway, what's the deal with riding a motorcycle in the states? I understand that it may vary state-by-state but a general overview.

In the UK, for example, you can ride a 125cc, 14.6BHP bike on a one day basic training course as long as you have a provisional (learner's) licence for two years, the only extra rules being the standard MOT, insurance, road tax and protective equipment...along with no pillion passengers or motorway (highway) driving. After that you take other tests to get different standards of licence that allow you ride larger and more powerful bikes.

Toodles

EDIT: I'm 22 and have a full UK car licence, but only entitled to ride a 125cc bike. But I don't ride one.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Last edited by Junglie at Aug 18, 2013,
In every state I know of you either have a motorcycle endorsement or you don't. No other restrictions on size, passengers, where you can ride etc.

Florida requires a 6 hour course, California's is 15. If you get an endorsement in Florida it will likely transfer to California though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
In every state I know of you either have a motorcycle endorsement or you don't. No other restrictions on size, passengers, where you can ride etc.

Florida requires a 6 hour course, California's is 15. If you get an endorsement in Florida it will likely transfer to California though.

So is that on top of a full car licence?
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Im In South Carolina and the motorcycle license test doen't require hours of classes. If you can pass the test then you get the license. The beginner permit requires you to pass a knowledge test of safety and things like that.
Quote by Junglie
So is that on top of a full car licence?

Yes, which requires only a written and a practical exam, neither of which are very difficult. Our drivers licensing regulations here are much more relaxed than yours.

As others have noted, in some states you can take a motorcycle written and practical exam instead of a course.

Trust me, it's dead simple.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yes, which requires only a written and a practical exam, neither of which are very difficult. Our drivers licensing regulations here are much more relaxed than yours.

As others have noted, in some states you can take a motorcycle written and practical exam instead of a course.

Trust me, it's dead simple.

Ah right, I see. I was just hoping to get something similar like our two year entitlement from a one day course so I didn't have to go through the whole hassle of getting a full licence out there.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
like everyone said, every state is different. Best suggestion is to get into one the 3 day classes that provide the license at the end of the class IF you pass of course. Been a while but, cost like $250. Once you walk away with your license you can ride what ever you want. If all you have been riding is that 125 I wouldn't recommend going out and hopping on a full dressed Harley that weighs 900lbs. Just giving advise because every Motorcycle accident means the people that ride will have to pay for it. Paying for it means we get more restrictions and mandatory crap guidelines that the states come up with.
Quote by Rust_E_Stringz
like everyone said, every state is different. Best suggestion is to get into one the 3 day classes that provide the license at the end of the class IF you pass of course. Been a while but, cost like $250. Once you walk away with your license you can ride what ever you want. If all you have been riding is that 125 I wouldn't recommend going out and hopping on a full dressed Harley that weighs 900lbs. Just giving advise because every Motorcycle accident means the people that ride will have to pay for it. Paying for it means we get more restrictions and mandatory crap guidelines that the states come up with.

I only wanted a bike because, here at least, it's just easier to get a 125cc and the majority of the time, it will just be for zipping to and from work on. If I ever need a car, I'll just hire one for a few days. This may all be a moot point anyway as I'm not sure I'll be getting a social security number.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by Junglie
Ah right, I see. I was just hoping to get something similar like our two year entitlement from a one day course so I didn't have to go through the whole hassle of getting a full licence out there.

The 'hassle' of a full license here consists of an easy multiple choice test and a cursory practical exam.

Took me less than an hour total the first time I got mine. In a more populated area you may have to schedule the practical in advance but its still incredibly easy.

Edit: You don't need a social security number to get a drivers license, why would that matter?

You're overcomplicating this.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 18, 2013,
Quote by Arby911
The 'hassle' of a full license here consists of an easy multiple choice test and a cursory practical exam.

Took me less than an hour total the first time I got mine. In a more populated area you may have to schedule the practical in advance but its still incredibly easy.

Edit: You don't need a social security number to get a drivers license, why would that matter?

You're overcomplicating this.

Sorry, I'm just completely unaware of the process. I was under the impression you need a social security number for absolutely everything. I'm going out as a visiting military member to work with the USAF so it's all confusing to me.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by Junglie
Sorry, I'm just completely unaware of the process. I was under the impression you need a social security number for absolutely everything. I'm going out as a visiting military member to work with the USAF so it's all confusing to me.

Trust me, this is NOT going to be a problem for you. In many states you can show your orders and current drivers license(s) and you won't have to take any tests at all. Get an International driving permit before you come, it will generally make things easier.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Trust me, this is NOT going to be a problem for you. In many states you can show your orders and current drivers license(s) and you won't have to take any tests at all. Get an International driving permit before you come, it will generally make things easier.

Happy days then. I'm planning on getting the international permit but there's a time restriction on how long you can use it for then.

Cheers for the help
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.