I wanted to find out, how do you buy picks...Do you guys buy 12 pack, 72 pack?? brand, model???...Is it worth to buy 72 pack? or not. what do you think about your picks?

I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14
Last edited by MatejSJ at Aug 18, 2013,
Usually with a credit card, occasionally with cash. Never by barter or at gunpoint.

Really?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You have to make sure they are ripe.

If they aren't mature they will be really finicky.
Ive been using gravity picks almost exclusively once in a while ill order a few
I also use vynyl picks which i shape myself out of old broken vynyls i found a box of them in the attic of my freinds house

Thats about it
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I buy the thickest Dunlop I can find.

I've tried the Jazz series, but they're too small for me.
you can buy bigger jazz picks bruh
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Mine are all under the fridge/ stove
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by Banjocal

I have a similar one in red. It's got a really nice texture, but my thumb and index figure are too big to hold it comfortably.

Here's a picture of my plectrums with a shot of my thumb for size reference.

I mostly use the big purple one on the far right. It's called a Dunlop Big Stubby, I think. Because the thickness allows it, has a sort of depression in the centre on both sides, so I can comfortably rest my thumb and index finger along the contours. It's really nice to use. I bought this one for my bass, but after realizing that I'm much more comfortable playing bass with my thumb, I started using this for guitar instead.

The one on the centre-right, the white-purple one, was my main plectrum before the purple one.

The one in the centre, I've never used. Probably because I like purple more than blue.

The one in the centre-left is our friend, the Jazz III. As you can see, it is dwarfed by all the others. If it was a little larger in size, it would've been perfect.

The pink one in the far left is the plectrum I've had since I started playing guitar. Been with me for more than five years. I don't use it nowadays, but it's nice to have it. The picking edge has become blunt because of how hard I used to strum my acoustic.
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Aug 18, 2013,
I made 4 out of my girlfriends credit card. Two birds, one stone.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
I use tv dinner's plastic.i like to make small picks it looks like i'm using my fingers
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I have a similar one in red. It's got a really nice texture, but my thumb and index figure are too big to hold it comfortably.

etc.

The pink one in the far left is the plectrum I've had since I started playing guitar. Been with me for more than five years. I don't use it nowadays, but it's nice to have it. The picking edge has become blunt because of how hard I used to strum my acoustic.
Fair enough. I don't really use picks any more, and when I do, it's just something simple, fairly thick, and has a reasonable tip to it.

Quote by Bair
I made 4 out of my girlfriends credit card. Two birds, one stone.
That bitterness
ha-haaa
I buy 12 packs of different picks when I feel like it. My usuals are 1mm or 0.88mm Tortexes, or heavy celluloids. Also have some nylons and some ultem/ultex.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
72 pack of orange tortex. orange tortex is best tortex.

Agree.. hard to beat $14, and then you don't have to buy picks for the next 2+ years.. just have to dig them out of couch cushions, washing machine, etc.
this is really a thread? well the dava picks i like come in 3 or 5 packs or something. if i liked another pick, i would buy the pre-bundled packaging for those.

unless its one of those super expensive boutique picks made of stone, shell, glass, etc.

end of thread?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I order bulk packs from www.stringsandbeyond.com they are cheap and have great deals on the type of picks I use. I use the Dunlop Tortex "the wedge" pic's which are not really common in most stores in my area. They ship really fast also, last order was placed on fri and I receved it on Mon.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've got picks for days. But since I rarely lose a pick, I buy Gravity picks (http://gravitypicks.com/ ) a few at a time for myself,

and have a Pick Punch to make picks from old credit cards (I've worked it out so that I can get six...) and from the materials that they have available. Those are out and available for "friends" and other band folks, etc.

http://www.pickpunch.com/
^only problem is they get jammed easily :/
ha-haaa
Quote by hriday_hazarika

Here's a picture of my plectrums with a shot of my thumb for size reference.

I mostly use the big purple one on the far right. It's called a Dunlop Big Stubby, I think. Because the thickness allows it, has a sort of depression in the centre on both sides, so I can comfortably rest my thumb and index finger along the contours. It's really nice to use. I bought this one for my bass, but after realizing that I'm much more comfortable playing bass with my thumb, I started using this for guitar instead.

The one on the centre-right, the white-purple one, was my main plectrum before the purple one.

The one in the centre, I've never used. Probably because I like purple more than blue.

The one in the centre-left is our friend, the Jazz III. As you can see, it is dwarfed by all the others. If it was a little larger in size, it would've been perfect.

Jesus dude, your posts are impossible to read
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Jazz III FTW. I buy them individually because they are cheapest that way. They aren't sold in packs in the store I buy them (when I need to buy them) and they are cheaper there than in another store where they are sold in packs. I don't need that many picks. I rarely lose them. And when I do, it's another excuse to go to a music store.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Arby911
Usually with a credit card, occasionally with cash. Never by barter or at gunpoint.

Really?

I have to sell my body on the streets to get the cash I need to buy picks - alas, it's the only way I know.
I haven't bought picks in like 5 years. I use Dunlop Big Stubby's 3mm. I have no desire to change.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I also use the 3mm Dunlop Big Stubbies. I like the contours so I can grip them nicely. I'm also pretty heavy handed and like that they don't flex. I'm using like the 2nd from a pack of 5 I bought something like 5 years ago.

I also have some 1.14mm Tortex's and a heap of 0.8mm ones that come free from the store when I buy strings (usually bulk, 5-10 sets at a time)
I scan ebay for the cheapest offering of the ones I want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification