Sup guys. I have a Traynor YCV50 tube amp that has "2 EL34 and 3 12AX7A premium tubes" in it. Im assuming the EL34s are the preamp section and the 12AX7As are the power section?

Anyways i have 4 fresh Electro Harmonix EL34EH tubes kicking around. Does anyone know how that affect the sound, if at all? How would i go about swapping them, would it be as easy as pulling the other ones out and plugging the new ones in? Which ones would they replace, just the EL34s in the preamp or could i replace the 12AX7As with them and why or why not? Sorry lol im a noob when it comes to amplifiers haha.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ok. the 12ax7s are the peramp, the el34s are power amp.

the preamp is the first stage, the first part of the map that sees your guitar signal and effects. when you use overdrives, etc, its all affecting those 12ax7s. this is what takes your little guitar signal, makes it gritty, etc, and amplifies the signal enough to push it through the rest of the tube, EQ, effects loop, and on to the power section.

the power section are the big tubes. the WATTS. when the amp says 50 watts, its the big tubes doing the work. the power section takes that preamp signal and amplifies it some more with enough power to push it out to your speakers.

this section is what determines OVERALL headroom of the map and certain tonal characteristics concerning the amp overdriving, and some response characteristics including the amount of OOMPP or brootz. part of the reason why most brutal high gain sounds involve lots of watts and a big ol cab.

most of the tonal characteristics you hear in an amp come from the preamp and effects you use. power amp requires a bit more of a refined ear to be able to blind fold yourself and say "this am is using el84s...". most of the time, i bet most people cant tell the difference.

Headroom however, is a fairly big deal. and your preamp can be designed to breakup or have low headroom as well, so technically headroom is not just power amp specific.

on to your tune question - yes. installation is as easy as plugging them in.

HOWEVER! preamp tubes do not require a bias. they are fun and easy to experiment with. POWER TUBES (like el34s) generally have an electrical bias associated with them, and changing the tubes will change the bias. as a general rule, if you buy the same tubes, then you dont need to rebias every time.

does one need to rebias? well, if you amp was biased well in the first place, perhaps it wont be to far off. chances are you are fine. but the amp will run slightly different. its science and fact. is this bad? probably not. but the amp may run colder or hotter (breakup faster or not as fast).

my advice is to find tubes you like, get the amp biased in a store to ensdure its properly set up, and then keep that setup for a while. buying only the same tubes you think sound good. this will ensure years of proper use with no problems.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Thanks, i have a better idea of what's going on now. So what i have then are power tubes? Can i stick them in the preamp section or no?

The tone the amp currently has is a whole lot of treble, not a whole lot of bass depth, and more high mids than low mids. My EQ is usually treble set to 9 oclock, bass maxed, and mids at 1 oclock or so. And that i find has a lot of treble on the clean channel. The amp has a shit ton of headroom, will changing the tubes change that?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

You can't stick the power tubes in the preamp (12AX7) slots.

Just keep your EXH EL34s as spares.

What EL34s are in there now?

What preamp tubes are in there now?

I really like the YCV50B BTW.

I'd get some JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes and stick them in there.

Forget about all the "balanced, high gain, matched" BS and just get some.

www.dougstubes.com
www.eurotubes.com
www.tubedepot.com
How does one look at those big arsed EL34's and think, "these must be the preamp tubes"? Seriously, man, the small ones are the ones that drive the speakers? Think about it.
You should look after your drug dealer, that man has good shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't believe it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nah it's ok, i admit i know next to nothing about the inner workings of amps. Guitars yes, have built one and know how to wire and set up and change parts etc. I haven't even opened up my amp to look inside yet so i didn't even know the tubes were different sizes

Anyways, JJ EL34 you say? What i would like to do in terms of the sound is take some of the harshness and edge off the top end of the treble and add more bass and low mids to give it a fuller sound with more depth. Obviously and eq pedal will help, but that base sound from the amp would be ideal. The gain channel i don't use really at all, it sounds off from what it "should" be, it's really kind of metallic sounding. I know i sound like a 'tard lol but that's the best way to put it. It's not smooth and singing like most other amps i've played. What will JJ El34's do to the sound?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

The EL34's won't make a lot of difference. JJ preamp tubes are what you should be looking at.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Acϵ♠
Nah it's ok, i admit i know next to nothing about the inner workings of amps. Guitars yes, have built one and know how to wire and set up and change parts etc. I haven't even opened up my amp to look inside yet so i didn't even know the tubes were different sizes

Anyways, JJ EL34 you say? What i would like to do in terms of the sound is take some of the harshness and edge off the top end of the treble and add more bass and low mids to give it a fuller sound with more depth. Obviously and eq pedal will help, but that base sound from the amp would be ideal. The gain channel i don't use really at all, it sounds off from what it "should" be, it's really kind of metallic sounding. I know i sound like a 'tard lol but that's the best way to put it. It's not smooth and singing like most other amps i've played. What will JJ El34's do to the sound?

You want 12ax7 tubes for what you are describing. The JJecc83 is their 12ax7 tube.

In Europe the tubes were named differently then in the USA: 12ax7=ecc83
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds good. Thanks for the help guys
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Upon further reading, i have more questions (sorry). What's the difference between 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Gain primarily (amplification factor ie Vout/Vin).
12AX7=100
12AT7=60
12AU7=19
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i tried googling amplification factor vout/vin. i got a lot of technical gibberish i just dont understand. So 12Ax7 has the highest gain threshold?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

dont forget 5751 tubes!

TS - yes. with 40+ watts, nomatter what you do you have a good amount of headroom. you can get "early breakup" or "soft" tubes which are biased in a way to run hotter or something, and that will help them breakup earlier. however, not by much. perhaps as a user you can tell a lil, but its not going to be night and day, especially not with 40 watts or something.

really, for tonal differences, turn to your preamp. cheap, easiest, most tonal changes.

its like cars (except for cost, this doesnt make sense for money) but tires for example can have a big difference on performance, last longer, etc, but your oil keeps your car running. you pretty muh just change it to keep your car running.

the preamp tubes are tires, your oil is the powertubes (even though power tube are expensive and the oil is far cheaper than the tires).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Yes, the 12AX7 has the highest gain. Therefore the tubes following it are being pushed harder, resulting in more distortion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification