Hello. I'm a college kid with little to no money but I've been looking to check out gear that I may be able to purchase in the future. Right now all I have is a Line 6 Spider IV 75watt practice amp, but I have a Digitech rp355 processor that I really enjoy fiddling around with.
I have two things in mind right now: a new guitar or a new amp.

My main (only one I ever use) guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser C-7, I love it. But I'd really like to have a good 6 string guitar so I can write in different tunings and whatnot. I've been looking online at the Sterling by Music Man JP100D, and that seems like something I could acquire and would really like, since I'd love to have a 6 string guitar with passive pickups (it has DiMarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pickups). I absolutely love the look of the guitar as well. I also like the look and have heard good things about the Parker PDF series.

I mainly play metal but I like to use a good number of different tones. I like playing music like Between The Buried And Me, Dream Theater, Protest The Hero, Born of Osiris, some Djent, etc. Basically I want an amp that can allow me to have a variety of tones. I don't have nearly enough money for an Axe FX or something like that, but I'm not really sure where to look for half stacks/cabs and heads. I've checked out the Line 6 HD150 150watt and 4x12, but other than that I don't really know. Any advice on that one? I'd like to have an amp that can be sufficiently loud as well as keep a good tone while playing gigs, since I'm going to be in a band in the near future.

All in all, I'm looking for some amps/cabs/half stacks/etc. that can have a good metal tone as well as some variety for preferably under $1000, but if they're a little over that's fine.
Also if anyone has suggestions for guitars with passive pickups around the same range, or comments about the JP100D or Parker PDF, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Is that $1000 for both amp and guitar, or $1000 each for a $2000 total?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Is that $1000 for both amp and guitar, or $1000 each for a $2000 total?

I'm only going to get one or the other, not both. So roughly $1000 for an amp or a guitar.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
I'm only going to get one or the other, not both. So roughly $1000 for an amp or a guitar.

Definitely spend it on the amp then. I'd actually recommend my amp if you're looking for variety, EVH 5150 III 50 watt. If you can find the 100 watt version in your budget then that's even better because of the shared channel one and two. This is only bothersome if you need way more gain on channel two than you can handle with channel one in live situation though. Definitely check it out if you're unfamiliar.

If you have any guitar shops locally that have enough variety you should just take your schecter and try a few out, do some A/B'ing.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Definitely spend it on the amp then. I'd actually recommend my amp if you're looking for variety, EVH 5150 III 50 watt. If you can find the 100 watt version in your budget then that's even better because of the shared channel one and two. This is only bothersome if you need way more gain on channel two than you can handle with channel one in live situation though. Definitely check it out if you're unfamiliar.

If you have any guitar shops locally that have enough variety you should just take your schecter and try a few out, do some A/B'ing.

Okay, I'll look that one up. Would you recommend getting the corresponding cab with the head? I'd prefer to be able to get a half stack head/cab package, but if not, then where should I be looking for cabs?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Avatar makes some really good cabs for a reasonable price. The matching set for the EVH are quite good but of course you will be paying a premium for the brand name.

I also think you should check out the EVH 5150III, adding to that look into the Mesa Mark IV as previously suggested as well as the Dual Rec. Egnater Vengeance may also serve your needs.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Quote by Ippon
Mesa Mark IV or Tremoverb combo?

This
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm looking at things and I'm almost thinking I want to get a Line 6 half stack. The one I mentioned looks alright, and the Spider Valve HD100 MKII looks pretty sweet, although that's around $1500. If I got an FBV Shortboard with it then I'd be quite happy with that.

Does anyone have comments about Line 6 amps like this? I like my Spider IV.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Don't get the hd150 spider4. You are currently have a spider 4 75. that wouldn't be an upgrade. I would recommend getting a flextone 3 for solid state modeling WAY better than the spider series. The flextone is basically a what you see what you get vetta. OR a hd147 with a 4x12. both amps used to be going really cheap but are on the rise.
Quote by dlowe102
Don't get the hd150 spider4. You are currently have a spider 4 75. that wouldn't be an upgrade. I would recommend getting a flextone 3 for solid state modeling WAY better than the spider series. The flextone is basically a what you see what you get vetta. OR a hd147 with a 4x12. both amps used to be going really cheap but are on the rise.

The hd147 looks so beautiful, and people's reviews of them seem to be great
Is 300Watts necessary though? It probably couldn't hurt to have the capability, since I'm hoping to be able to play some gigs, and I'd want this amp to be mainly for gigging.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
I'm looking at things and I'm almost thinking I want to get a Line 6 half stack. The one I mentioned looks alright, and the Spider Valve HD100 MKII looks pretty sweet, although that's around $1500. If I got an FBV Shortboard with it then I'd be quite happy with that.

Does anyone have comments about Line 6 amps like this? I like my Spider IV.

What other amps have you tried?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
What other amps have you tried?

I haven't really tried any yet, the guitar stores around my area have a really thin selection I'm not really sure where to go to try out amps where I live... I just want suggestions at this time basically so I can have general ideas of what to look for if the stores around me get new gear, or if I go someplace I don't usually go.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
If you can, find a bigger store with a big selection of amps to try. Make a day of it. You may be surprised at what you like and don't like. And with $1000, I'm pretty sure you're not gonna walk out with a spider.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
If you can, find a bigger store with a big selection of amps to try. Make a day of it. You may be surprised at what you like and don't like. And with $1000, I'm pretty sure you're not gonna walk out with a spider.

I have my eye set on trying the Line 6 HD147. It's not a spider and I would like having a multitude of effects. I'll be trying everything I can though.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by lucky1978

I have my eye set on trying the Line 6 HD147. It's not a spider and I would like having a multitude of effects. I'll be trying everything I can though.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD

So you post this asking us and zip claim you have your eye on something that you seem dead set on but haven't tried nor have you tried anything else in your price range. If you want to do you do and buy what, don't waste everyone's time.

You would likely be wayyy well off with a peavey vypyr 60 or 120 and the larger sanpera footswitch.

Or a mkiv or a evh iii or maybe a mini rec or xxx or jsx.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
So you post this asking us and zip claim you have your eye on something that you seem dead set on but haven't tried nor have you tried anything else in your price range. If you want to do you do and buy what, don't waste everyone's time.

You would likely be wayyy well off with a peavey vypyr 60 or 120 and the larger sanpera footswitch.

Or a mkiv or a evh iii or maybe a mini rec or xxx or jsx.

"I have my eye set on trying", not "I have my eye set on getting with no prior knowledge". I was looking for suggestions for amps, and people's suggestions led me to notice the hd147. I want to try as many amps that I can and not just blindly buy an amp without trying it. I also was asking and bringing up amps to see if anyone had any experiences with the amps I mentioned so I could get positive or negative feedback.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
"I have my eye set on trying", not "I have my eye set on getting with no prior knowledge". I was looking for suggestions for amps, and people's suggestions led me to notice the hd147. I want to try as many amps that I can and not just blindly buy an amp without trying it. I also was asking and bringing up amps to see if anyone had any experiences with the amps I mentioned so I could get positive or negative feedback.

Sorry for being slightly abrasive, but it really doesn't seem that you tried all that many amps, at least based on your post. You have probably been referred to 7 or 8 amps which are probably better options. I have played quite a few amps own quite a few. I have played a vetta, which is the hd147 is based. If you are stuck on the hd147,, get a vetta.

You would probably better with one of the aforementioned tube amps
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Sorry for being slightly abrasive, but it really doesn't seem that you tried all that many amps, at least based on your post. You have probably been referred to 7 or 8 amps which are probably better options. I have played quite a few amps own quite a few. I have played a vetta, which is the hd147 is based. If you are stuck on the hd147,, get a vetta.

You would probably better with one of the aforementioned tube amps

No problem. I'll check out vettas if anywhere I go to test amps has them available. Thanks for giving me another amp to try out, and the positive comment about the tube amps!
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Get a Line 6 M13 and a Peavey 6505+. I ran a rig like that for a long time and I was happy as a clam. I got some killer tones out of it.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by thePTOD
No problem. I'll check out vettas if anywhere I go to test amps has them available. Thanks for giving me another amp to try out, and the positive comment about the tube amps!

IIRC because its been a while, the software on the vetta went to two sub-models. the duoverb and the HD147 (not 100% sure but pretty close), i paid $200 for a duoverb and it was designed to be the clean side of things with the other having more high gain.

anything line 6 IMO would be a step back from what you could, get. i haven't played much on an IV, but was certainly disappointing.

my $1000 amp purchases (all heads)
$875 MKIV
$1050 Fryette Sig:X
$1000 Splawn Nitro
$900 Splawn Pro mod

some are more niche than others, but they are a major step forward from Line 6 amps. however line 6 for cheap mfx is the leader, the m9 and m13 are great as is pod HD500.

xXBansheeXx has a solid rig with that.

personally i would go mesa MKIV for a lot of flexibility. i use a timmy on the second channel and it is great, then i can turn it off and go straight to a LOG tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 20, 2013,
Are there any combinations of heads and cabs that would be at most $1500 that you would recommend? I'm seeing that most of the heads are around $1000 or more and some cabs are a bit up there. Thanks for the other suggestions (line 6 m9/13, splawn, peavey 6505)
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Are there any combinations of heads and cabs that would be at most $1500 that you would recommend? I'm seeing that most of the heads are around $1000 or more and some cabs are a bit up there. Thanks for the other suggestions (line 6 m9/13, splawn, peavey 6505)

the 5153 mini (50w) is a solid all tube amp at a grand. if i were new in the market i would probably pick that out if they were out longer and the used price got cheaper.

look for an amp ~$1000 and spend $500 on a cab. mesa and orange cabs are just a few off of the top of my head. avatar and white box do custom (i own all or multiple of all the cabs listed other than the white box).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Just buy a Mark 4 and a couple of pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just buy a Mark 4 and a couple of pedals.

can't disagree, i like mine.

but it isn't a broots amp without a boost, don't expect it to sound like a rec or a 6505+, marks are their own thing. but the flexibility is pretty good. and also if you do try one in a store, they are very difficult to dial in what you want, so i would take time. i hated mine for the first week until i got it dialed it in. and i haven't ever a hard time EQing any other amp in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
That's where the "couple of pedals" comes into it.
One of them would be an overdrive of some type.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
That's where the "couple of pedals" comes into it.
One of them would be an overdrive of some type.

it is pure secks on the second channel with the timmy. almost better with the third.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Even something cheap like a Bad Monkey would probably do the deed. I'm quite happy with the combination of Bad Monkey and Timmy. They compliment each other quite well - give it a try. In front of a Mark 4 it would have to sound good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Even something cheap like a Bad Monkey would probably do the deed. I'm quite happy with the combination of Bad Monkey and Timmy. They compliment each other quite well - give it a try. In front of a Mark 4 it would have to sound good.

i bought a bad monkey a while ago. hated the damn thing. i pulled it literally off of a display board for $20 at a local music shop, which had been sitting there for a while. i liked controling the bass and treble, but it just really had this 'core' (for lack of better term) that i didn't like. sold it for the same to an old band mate for $20 and a pack of smokes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm loving mine. We play different music and have very different amps though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm loving mine. We play different music and have very different amps though.

very true. the little OD that i swear by most of the time always goes unmentioned the MI Audio Blues Pro, i love it, and it has a switch for fuzz. fuzz isn't the best, but fun to mess around with, but the OD side is really nice, it doesn't really suck up the lows and the tone knob is a little different than one on a tubescreamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've never really been a fan of fuzz.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've never really been a fan of fuzz.

Nor i really, just if i am different like playing ambient and it needs a little difference.

I do like the octavia type thing for little extra touch here and there.

Back on topic, the odds are you may want a boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!