I recently found a guy with an epiphone g400 with EMGs for sale and I'm considering buying it for $250. I don't have MUCH experience with g400s, I remember playing one back in the day and liking it enough, and I LOVE emgs. I'm just wondering the level of risk I'd be taking by buying it. He says they were professionally installed, battery cavity in the back and all, and from what I understand with EMGs, you need to completely redo all the wiring and stuff just to use them, so as long as the guitar WORKS, I assume there's not much that could go wrong, unless they have the same old pots installed, and I know that 500k pots don't go well with active pickups, I suppose I could ask and even check myself, is there anything to look for?

Also, any experience with g400s? I'll be selling my Goth Explorer to purchase the g400. I actually really enjoy this guitar, the pickups get muddy with distortion, but it sounds beautiful with cleans, though I did modify the pickups to be (mostly) single coil by pulling out the pole screws, which I'll replace when I sell the guitar. It has the old licensed grovers, which actually stay in tune better than most guitars I've played. That's kind of my biggest fear: whether or not thing thing will fall out of tune easily.
My friend had an Epi G400 a long time ago, it stayed in tune quite well!
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Velcro Man
He says they were professionally installed, battery cavity in the back and all, and from what I understand with EMGs, you need to completely redo all the wiring and stuff just to use them, so as long as the guitar WORKS, I assume there's not much that could go wrong, unless they have the same old pots installed, and I know that 500k pots don't go well with active pickups, I suppose I could ask and even check myself, is there anything to look for?

1) When you order a set of EMGs, it comes with new hardware. There's absolutely no reason he should have installed them with 500k pots.

2) If they truly were professionally installed (as in, an actual guitar tech installed the EMGs), there's no way in hell a professional would miss something like putting the right kind of pot in with the new pickups.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about, but you can doublecheck if you wish.
Say there's some bodgey wiring, or an incorrect pot or something like that? What's the most it'll take to get it sorted? Probably half an hour's labour and the cost of the part. Bugger all.
Hmm, well, I assume it will sound pretty ****ed with junk pots and stuff, just had to make sure!