Hey fellas,

My second thread here. Ok so I've teamed up with this black metal vocalist and we're starting a folkish/postish/doomy Black Metal project, influenced by Deathspell Omega, Agalloch, Drudkh and other atmospheric bands like Sunn O))).

My rig: Peavey 6505+ 1x12; Jackson DKMGT (EMG81/85); Nux Time Core; Behringer Chorus; Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff

Thing is, I want to get my Peavey 6505+ (1x12 version) to sound posty. For the Drone parts of the songs, hell yeah, this baby nails it. Regarding the clean sound, well, as everyone knows, 6505 doesn't have the best cleans in the industry. However, working with the guitar's volume knob and delay/chorus pedals does it for me.

The main problem appears when I try to get a good tone for the Leads and the regular Black metal riffs. Like Isis heavier stuff, for example, Deathspell Omega or even Agalloch. I don't really want to replicate their sound, which is kind of difficult since my amp is more suitable for heavier stuff and I try to be as original as possible, but I'm having some trouble finding a nice EQ setting. Should I cut mids, treble or bass? What about the distortion, should I crank the post gain or leave it at 12 o'clock and crank the pre instead?

TL;DR: Need some suggestions to get my 6505+ to sound like Deathspell Omega/Isis/Agalloch.

My current tone while playing some random riffs, recorded with an awful mic
Riff 1
Riff 2

Oh and by the way, here's a sample of one of our guitar tracks. It has some tempo problems and some other errors, it's just a rough slat. Recorded with a Blackstar combo and SM58. Feedback appreciated
The Dead Ringer

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Insanus82 at Aug 19, 2013,
1. What the hell is "postish"? That's not a genre. "Post" a prefix you can put onto a genre to describe an altered version of a genre that represents its later periods.

2. Think of Pre-gain as your drive control. Drive/Overdrive/Distortion/Gain. And think of your Post-gain as volume. When guitar amplifies first came about gain literally means volume. It wasn't until they were being cranked very loud and invented the master volume controls that they needed to make a different name for the drive in the signal and the volume.

To get a good EQ setting, stick everything to 12 o'clock and experiment. See what you like. You say you want to be original and there's no better way. I prefer to set everything to maximum then turn stuff down if something's too much. That's just my way though, I don't recommend it, but you can try it.

Hope this helps.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
1. What the hell is "postish"? That's not a genre. "Post" a prefix you can put onto a genre to describe an altered version of a genre that represents its later periods.

2. Think of Pre-gain as your drive control. Drive/Overdrive/Distortion/Gain. And think of your Post-gain as volume. When guitar amplifies first came about gain literally means volume. It wasn't until they were being cranked very loud and invented the master volume controls that they needed to make a different name for the drive in the signal and the volume.

To get a good EQ setting, stick everything to 12 o'clock and experiment. See what you like. You say you want to be original and there's no better way. I prefer to set everything to maximum then turn stuff down if something's too much. That's just my way though, I don't recommend it, but you can try it.

Hope this helps.

1. Yeah, I'm sorry, sometimes I just like to create neologisms to better express myself I meant that I want a modern Black Metal sound, without the Trve Kvlt mumbo jumbo.

2. The thing is, I feel like this amp is different, because it is damn loud. I can't get it to sound solid and non-fuzzy. I think I just need some help to tame this beast, since I get the feeling that if I turn down, for example, resonance and the post, the sound gets very muddier.

I'll keep on the path of experimentation. For originality' sake. Thanks!
Last edited by Insanus82 at Aug 18, 2013,
Have you tried running an eq pedal in your loop? They can help more precisely cut out frequencies that make you sound harsh or muddy.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Have you tried running an eq pedal in your loop? They can help more precisely cut out frequencies that make you sound harsh or muddy.

This. I always had problems cleaning up the fizz on my 6505+ 112 until I got an EQ pedal in the loop. Cut out the highest frequencies and it chunked it right up.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
This. I always had problems cleaning up the fizz on my 6505+ 112 until I got an EQ pedal in the loop. Cut out the highest frequencies and it chunked it right up.

Right now I'm playing with this tone, I recorded theseRandom Riffs with a crappy old mic. What do you think of this tone? Too muddy?

Here's the guitar track of one of my band's upcoming songs, called Dead Ringer. I wanted a tone like this, but I recorded this one with a Blackstar Club and SM58. Which tone do you think it suits best the song? The 6505 or this Blackstar?