Page 1 of 9
Last year the ONLY Film Thread decided to make a list of the greatest films of all time, each user had to vote for twenty to films to nominate as the greatest films ever, these were the previous rules.

But it's a whole new thing this year, rather than twenty films the regulars were asked to vote for a maximum of fifty films and a minimum of twenty, exciting right? Along with the new amount of votes a new point system was introduced:

#1=7 Points
#2-5=6 Points
#6-10=5 Points
#11-20=4 Points
#21-30=3 Points
#31-40=2 Points
#41-50=1 Point

Before we get started here's last years list:

Final List
50. (tie) Blue Velvet
50. (tie) Freaks
50. (tie) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
48. Se7en
47. The Truman Show
46. (tie) The Lion King
46. (tie) Adaptation
44. (tie) Drive
44. (tie) Cool Hand Luke
44. (tie) Citizen Kane
41. (tie) Toy Story 3
41. (tie) The Thing
41. (tie) Il Conformista (The Conformist)
41. (tie) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
41. (tie) American Beauty
36. Magnolia
35. (tie) The Matrix
35. (tie) Blade Runner
33. The Third Man
32. (tie) Mullholland Drive
32. (tie) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
32. (tie) Being John Malkovich
29. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
28. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain
27. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
26. Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thieves)
25. Chinatown
24. (tie) The Godfather, Part II
24. (tie) Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
24. (tie) Raiders of the Lost Ark
21. (tie) The Dark Knight
21. (tie) Memento
19. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
18. 千と千尋の神隠し (Spirited Away)
17. (tie) M
17. (tie) Fight Club
15. Pulp Fiction
14. 12 Angry Men
13. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
12. 2001: A Space Odyssey
11. Cidade de Deus (City of God)
10. Back To The Future
9. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
8. There Will Be Blood
7. The Big Lebowski
6. Fargo
5. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Apocalypse Now
3. The Godfather
2. Taxi Driver
1. No Country For Old Men

Here is the complete new list

Alright, now lets get this bitch shaking. Click on the titles for a link to the trailer.

50.STARDUST MEMORIES.DIR:WOODY ALLEN

Votes:2

Quote by uhh_me?
depends if i want to seem like a snobby jerk or not. for the or not, Take The Money and Run. for the snobby jerk Stardust Memories.

49.MEAN STREETS.DIR: MARTIN SCORSESE

Votes: 4

Quote by jaybsp
I think I remember hearing Scorsese say that Accattone was the primary inspiration for Mean Streets, how the film focused on scuzzy characters

45. THE THING. DIR: JOHN CARPERNTER

Votes:3

Quote by lolmnt
I hate the Thing.

Suck it, nerds

45.LA JETEE.DIR: CHRIS MARKER

Quote by madbasslover
12 Monkeys was a remake? Liek ZOMG! I have to see the original, it's in another language

45.INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS. DIR: QUENTIN TARANTINO

Quote by BelowTheSun
Basterds is awesome. Second favourite Tarantino, it jumped over Pulp Fiction last time I watched it.

45.LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.DIR: ALAIN RESNAIS

Quote by jaybsp
I think you should watch Last Year at Marienbad.

Quote by jaybsp
I don't know if you've seen Last Year at Marienbad but check it out, it's a spiritual partner to Vertigo, much more stylish as well.

43.THE DARK KNIGHT. DIR: CHRIS NOLAN

Votes:4

Quote by genghisgandhi
I won't saw Dark Knight is the worst movie I've ever seen because clearly it did something right but it's definitely one of my least favorite, right up there with Nacho Libre and Son of the Mask.

43.RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.DIR:STEVEN SPIELBERG

Quote by snipelfritz
There's a guy I work with who straight up dresses like Indiana Jones every day. I start humming "Raiders of the Lost Ark" every time I walk past him.

41.GOODFELLAS.DIR:MARTIN SCORSESE

Votes:5

Quote by genghisgandhi
I thought Goodfellas was okay. I don't see what separates it from the other million mafia movies though.

41.APOCAPLYPSE NOW.DIR:FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA

Quote by steve_muse
Just finished Apocalypse Now. Wow. That was extraordinary. The cinematography was dazzling, seen nothing like it. Who knew warfare could look so beautiful? Kurtz was portrayed so well too. Oh man, this would've defs made my list.
Last edited by jaybsp at Aug 18, 2013,
I nearly shit a brick when I looked at last years list without reading anything
Stardust Memories that high? Wow.

I feel like a proper film thread regular now I have a quote in the list.
Nice job!

the genghis quote
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 18, 2013,
We've still got 40 films to go

Holding out for Starship Troopers.

Not sure why when I didn't even vote for it, but still.
List seems good so far. Not sure if Jay knows how to count, but maybe he's got a system. (re: Mean Streets ahead of Stardust Memories.)
Also I feel like I should Stardust Memories now.

edit: Omfg, whiskey sigged me. I felt like that joke was way worse than the Jay having a baby one too.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 18, 2013,
Yeah looks good!

Last Year at Marienbad is a bit of an odd choice. Is there a consensus of it in the thread or did someone put it in their top 5?
You'll notice the two quotes for Marienbad were from Jay. Who also put together the list.

Not that I'm suggesting anything, but...

gun be good
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by BelowTheSun
We've still got 40 films to go

Holding out for Starship Troopers.

Not sure why when I didn't even vote for it, but still.

I'm an idiot. Did not realise the 50 was last year's list.

I will be disappointed if Paul Verhoeven is not represented at least once in this list. I didn't vote for him or even vote but still.
Quote by cornmancer
List seems good so far. Not sure if Jay knows how to count, but maybe he's got a system. (re: Mean Streets ahead of Stardust Memories.)
Also I feel like I should Stardust Memories now.

lol

I did the list from 1-50 rather than 50-1 that's why it's whacked out a bit

new post every five minutes btw.
Quote by BelowTheSun
You'll notice the two quotes for Marienbad were from Jay. Who also put together the list.

Not that I'm suggesting anything, but...

I've never seen or heard of it.

I thought I would have at least heard of every French film in the list
Quote by homeless-john
I'm an idiot. Did not realise the 50 was last year's list.

I will be disappointed if Paul Verhoeven is not represented at least once in this list. I didn't vote for him or even vote but still.

I've never seen any of his movies. I should watch Starship Troopers and Robocop, but his dutch stuff interests me move.
Starship Troopers is great. The whole 'fascism is bad!' thing gets very heavy-handed, but the effects still hold up to this day, and the action sequences are great. Good mindless fun.
Shit's cool. Surprised Apocalypse Now is so low, I feel responsible.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Well.......
So disappointed TDK isn't higher!

No wonder only nerds post in you pretentious thread.

I know it's great right.

This might not actually turn into the imdb 100.
Quote by BelowTheSun
Starship Troopers is great. The whole 'fascism is bad!' thing gets very heavy-handed, but the effects still hold up to this day, and the action sequences are great. Good mindless fun.

There's a better film with fascism to come
Starship Troopers was even pretty bad with a rifftrax. I can dig the corniness but the action was brutally boring
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Duffman123
I know it's great right.

This might not actually turn into the imdb 100.

Yeah, I love TDK, but it's not one of the best films ever made. I do love it though, can't stress that enough.

EDIT:
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Starship Troopers was even pretty bad with a rifftrax. I can dig the corniness but the action was brutally boring

Oh, and if Temple Of Doom isn't higher than Raiders Of The Lost Ark I'm going to rip out the hearts of y'all.
37.SYNECDOCHE,NEW YORK.DIR:CHRALIE KAUFMAN

Quote by Well.......
It's my favorite of his, but i don't particularly like Kaufman so who knows.

37.8 1/2.DIR: FEDERICO FELLINI

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I just can't get past the simple story and onto whatever allegorical/metaphorical content, which is a huge reason why I was turned off by 8 1/2

37.JAWS.DIR:STEVEN SPIELBERG

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Since Jaws and other high concept films I guess people have flocked towards the 'indie' styled films.

37.REAR WINDOW.DIR: ALFRED HITHCOCK

Quote by jaybsp
The neighbors apartments are genres. The sad old woman who is going to kill herself? Melodrama. The pianist? Musical. The husband who is offing his wife? Crime. Stewart is the audience, he is implicated in all of the genres through his voyeurism.

34.RAGING BULL.DIR:MARTIN SCORSESE

Quote by genghisgandhi
Watched Raging Bull earlier. I felt like the whol first half of the movie should have been cut in half. Why should I give a **** about about this guy when all I've seen is him being a douchebag? The second half was good though.

34.UPSTREAM COLOR.DIR:SHANE CARRUTH

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
WOW, everyone go watch Upstream Color. Just finished it, no idea what just happened, but it was goooood.

34.M.DIR:FRITZ LANG

Quote by Junny
Has anyone seen Fritz Lang's M? Incredible film. Can't quite believe it was made in the 1930's.
Highly recommend to anyone who has the patience to watch a german black and white film from the 1930s about a child murderer...

32. 12 ANGRY MEN.DIR:SIDNEY LUMET

Quote by valacirca
12 Angry Me
- A man with dissociative identity disorder undergoes an internal battle where his 12 personalities argue amongst themselves about a personal mystery.

32.ADAPTATION.DIR:SPIKE JONEZ

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Gotta watch Raising Arizona and Adaptation.

30.ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.DIR:MICHEL GONDRY

Quote by genghisgandhi
omg Tobias Funke is in Eternal Sunshine!
Last edited by jaybsp at Aug 18, 2013,
Quote by BelowTheSun
Oh, and if Temple Of Doom isn't higher than Raiders Of The Lost Ark I'm going to rip out the hearts of y'all.

Temple of Doom is ****ing terrible, and I've talked about this a loooooooooooooot, but I don't feel like it right now, but later we will sit down and talk about why Raiders is the 4th best movie ever made, and why Temple isn't in my top 200
God damn M you guyz. What's so good about it?

Glad to see Rear Window and ESotSM even if they didn't make my list.
Gotta watch Raising Arizona and Adaptation.

Lol really? I watched that like a year ago, you didn't have any better quotes since then??

Also I totally thought Eternal Sunshine would be top 10 =/
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
I'll happily admit Raiders is 'better' than Temple, but there's just something about Temple that I love even more than Raiders.

Jaws should be higher than 37. I am disappoint.

Happy about M. ****ing fantastic film.
Yeaaaa, Rear Window, 12 Angry Men, and Jaws made it!

I voted Jaws fairly high though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I wish the M quote was when I shared the time I got drunk and told everybody I met how beautiful the metaphor of the balloon getting caught in the powerlines was and maybe cried.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lol, I just looked at my list and I think everything would be in a completely different spot if I did it this week.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Can't wait for the Paul Thomas Anderson to start hitting. The Master and There Will Be Blood both need to be top 10 at the very least.
I really hope someone else voted for Repo Man, that's the only film I care about making the list.