Hi there,

So I've owned a PRS SE Custom 24 (2012 model) for almost a year now. The guitar is great, but recently I have encountered a problem with the bridge pickup position. Upon switching to the bridge position, the output, volume, and responsiveness is significantly reduced and there will virtually be no sound coming out if I turn down the tone knob (NOT the volume knob).

Recently, I have switched out the bridge pickup, hoping that would fix it as I thought it was the old pickup's problem. However, after switching pickups, the problem still persists. What could be the problem?

Thanks a lot.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Sorry, the cable is not the problem either, I have switched multiple cables and the problem is still there.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Have you made sure that the wire connecting the bridge pickup and the cable socket is good? If the wire is bad, you'd get shoddy output like that.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Have you made sure that the wire connecting the bridge pickup and the cable socket is good? If the wire is bad, you'd get shoddy output like that.

I'm not sure if it's the wire causing the problem, as the middle position for the pickup selector, which combines the two, seems to work perfectly fine. It's when I switch the pickup selector to the bridge pickup only that this problem arises.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Sounds like it's the switch; probably not making enough contact when flipped to the bridge position.

Looking at the triangle- and half-moon-shaped bits (in the center) of the switch in the pic below:

When you flip the switch, the half-moon part is pushed away from the triangle bit, breaking the connection to the pickup that is not selected. Over time, these parts often get bent, resulting in the exact problem that you are experiencing. An easy fix it to GENTLY bend them back together.

Last edited by sinofian at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by sinofian
Sounds like it's the switch; probably not making enough contact when flipped to the bridge position.

Looking at the triangle- and half-moon-shaped bits (in the center) of the switch in the pic below:

When you flip the switch, the half-moon part is pushed away from the triangle bit, breaking the connection to the pickup that is not selected. Over time, these parts often get bent, resulting in the exact problem that you are experiencing. An easy fix it to GENTLY bend them back together.

Ah, excellent! I was also suspecting the pickup switch.

Actually, I picked up the guitar just now and for some reason the problem seemed to fix itself. However, if this occurs again, I'll know where to look. Thanks a lot for your help!
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Do yourself a favor and get some tuner cleaner and clean that switch. It could simply have some crud beterrn the contacts. If the problem returns, replace the switch (10 minute soldering job).
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Do yourself a favor and get some tuner cleaner and clean that switch. It could simply have some crud beterrn the contacts. If the problem returns, replace the switch (10 minute soldering job).

I will keep that in mind. Unfortunately, I have virtually zero experience in soldering and if possible, I'm hoping to avoid anything that includes soldering until I learn these skills for myself. Thanks for the input.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013