Page 1 of 3
You know, I was checking out Audioslave's debut album, and it as you can see here:

[forbidden link])

it just got straight average reviews, mainly because critics noted that it wasn't nearly as forward-thinking as Rage or Soundgarden.

So I guess I'm asking if there's any innovative hard rock groups around anymore.

There's Queens of the Stone Age, but their last truly forward-thinking hard rock album came out back in '02:

[forbidden link]

Anybody know anything else, though?

oh, and I'm aware that there's been plenty of good indie rock bands throughout the 2000s and what have you, but I'm talking about more of straight Hard Rock

edit: huh, evidently Wikipedia is forbidden on here..Anyway you get the idea, though. Was just going to link a wiki link for both audioslave and queens of the stone age
Last edited by kanyetupac at Aug 18, 2013,
Write some mad concept albums like Mastodon

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Write some mad concept albums like Mastodon

Mastodon are incredible, but they're more Metal, you know. However their recent albums have indeed had more of a hard rock influence on 'em
"hard rock"

lol

You're right. Modern Rock is dead (although QOTSA new album is great).
Quote by Duffman123
You're right. Modern Rock is dead (although QOTSA new album is great).

yeah their last album is fantastic - their best album since songs for the deaf even, but I mean, it's not as impactful as songs for the deaf. It doesn't grab you be the balls and go THIS IS WHERE MUSIC IS HEADED

and that grab-you-by-the-balls is the kind of album that I'm looking for, in hard rock. New albums, that is.

man...

is..is hard rock dead?
rock is dead
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Hard rock is a pretty gay genre which makes me think of Creed, Nickelback and Alter Bridge.

Hard rockin' man!

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Rock is dead, dubstep is where it's at.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Hard rock is a pretty gay genre which makes me think of Creed, Nickelback and Alter Bridge.

Hard rockin' man!

EXACTLY man. And it didn't have to end this way...

Hell in the 80s, people would have probably thought of all that gay hair metal, which is why Guns N Roses were noted for being incredibly fresh sounding when they landed on the scene

then in the 90s on up it became mainstream with all those god awful post-grunge bands
Quote by kanyetupac
is..is hard rock dead?

everyone else is bored of it and so should you be. i mean srsly, its been the biggest genre of music in the world for decades, move on ****** youre holding back progress
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Of course it is, but like everything else most people don't think of the innovation until it's already been done.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by kanyetupac
Hmmm?

terrible genre of music

Quote by Burgery
everyone else is bored of it and so should you be. i mean srsly, its been the biggest genre of music in the world for decades, move on ****** youre holding back progress

I think one of the reasons why it hasn't been innovative in some time on a consistent basis, is because it's mainly been a genre with Anglo countries

you look at Metal and its trillion sub genres, and you'll see that it's a world wide thing, with bands from countries around the world contributing...Where as Hard Rock has mainly been an Anglo thing, and Anglos pretty much gave up on the genre
Quote by MinterMan22
terrible genre of music

Enjoy your inferior taste:

www(DOT)acclaimedmusic(DOT)net/Current/A693.htm
Last edited by kanyetupac at Aug 18, 2013,
Quote by kanyetupac
Enjoy your inferior taste:

www(DOT)acclaimedmusic(DOT)net/Current/A693.htm

guns n roses sucks and appetite for destruction is shit

Quote by MinterMan22
guns n roses sucks and appetite for destruction is shit

inferior taste detected
If you innovate something it isn't the same thing.
So no. Once it's innovated it's no longer hard rock, say you mix hard rock with jazz it could be called something like Jazz Banger or something.
I gave up really listening to metal/rock in general like that. Generally it's indie stuff or older stuff if I'm going to listen to rock. I mean, honestly, I can't be the only one who finds the idea of listening to a standard rock record released in 2013 to be daunting. QotSA don't really count to me. Because they have heavy elements of stoner music.

Quote by JustRooster
Any genre with less than 3 syllables these days seems to suck.

Reggae
Dub
House
Chill Wave
Jazz
Blues
Rap/Hip-Hop
Folk

So...
Last edited by nincompoop at Aug 18, 2013,
Quote by nincompoop
I gave up really listening to metal/rock in general like that. Generally it's indie stuff or older stuff if I'm going to listen to rock. I mean, honestly, I can't be the only one who finds the idea of listening to a standard rock record released in 2013 to be daunting. QotSA don't really count to me. Because they have heavy elements of stoner music.

nah man, quotsa are definitely hard rock. I mean there's outside influences sure, but there was definitely outside influences for a variety of Zeppelin songs, you know. There were a variety of outside influences OK Computer, but it was still Alternative Rock
bump
Quote by korinaflyingv
The darker end of DnB and Dubstep are really where it's at to be honest lads. Atmospheric, filmy, moody, intelligent and with #base
Quote by damian_91
Rock is dead, dubstep is where it's at.

What is this 2010? It's all about disco mate.
Who gives a shit whether it's innovative? Hard rock is a rather straightforward genre. Most people don't want innovative. (Although, if they are well done, people will accept new innovations.)
Quote by willT08
The darker end of DnB and Dubstep are really where it's at to be honest lads. Atmospheric, filmy, moody, intelligent and with #base

>lads

You a brit?

Random question:

What the hell happened to you guys in the Rock scene?

you guys consistently had top tier albums released in the 60s and 70s, and then at a bit of a slower pace in the 80s, and then fell off. You've had a few top tier bands since, but not nearly at that same fast rate

coming from an American
Too busy with Garage and DnB in the 90s. Now we're too busy with Grime and Dubstep.
Quote by kanyetupac
>lads

You a brit?

Random question:

What the hell happened to you guys in the Rock scene?

you guys consistently had top tier albums released in the 60s and 70s, and then at a bit of a slower pace in the 80s, and then fell off. You've had a few top tier bands since, but not nearly at that same fast rate

coming from an American

Genres are born, genres grow, genres stagnate and die. It's the cycle of life. Hakuna matata, bitch.
Page 1 of 3