So I've been toying around the idea of building my next guitar. However someone pointed out to me that Charvel So Cals are made with pretty much all the same specs I was going to use. Now, I played one of these once, but it was an older model from before they were discontinued. That was a great guitar.

Since Charvel has resumed production of the So Cal, I haven't really heard much about them. Does anyone know if the quality is still the same, or has it changed since manufacturing moved from Japan to Mexico?
i haven't tried the newer ones (or the older MIJs either, just the previous MIA pro mods), but normally MIJ is considered superior to MIM...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the newer ones (or the older MIJs either, just the previous MIA pro mods), but normally MIJ is considered superior to MIM...

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.
no problem. sorry i couldn't help more
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't worry about the quality of these, the Mexico plant puts out some great stuff and from what I've read, these are every bit as good as the older models. They are a bit different; Charvel changed the pickups and the Floyd is now recessed. I'd obviously try before you buy but I'd be confident that it's still an awesome guitar. I think they're only just shipping now though so you might have to wait a little before you can give one a test drive.
Quote by FrankenStrat77
I wouldn't worry about the quality of these, the Mexico plant puts out some great stuff and from what I've read, these are every bit as good as the older models. They are a bit different; Charvel changed the pickups and the Floyd is now recessed. I'd obviously try before you buy but I'd be confident that it's still an awesome guitar. I think they're only just shipping now though so you might have to wait a little before you can give one a test drive.

Hopefully I can find one to try out. The guitar stores around me NEVER have Charvels.
These are made in the same mexican factory as the mim fenders and they have some noticeable differences in comparison to the mij ones.

Floyd route is obvious.
Neck finish is now gloss compared to the MIJ so cal's oil finish
Stock pickups have changed from dimarzio to seymour duncan so I can't comment on sound.

They now use floyd rose specials instead of floyd rose 1000s. Floyd 1000s are the same material and spec as the german original but made in korea, filling the quality gap between the special and original.

That's all I remember after playing and researching them a little.

They were just revealed at namm 2013, it will probably take a couple more months to reach retailers.
???
Last edited by solidrane at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by solidrane
These are made in the same mexican factory as the mim fenders and they have some noticeable differences in comparison to the mij ones.

Floyd route is obvious.
Neck finish is now gloss compared to the MIJ so cal's oil finish
Stock pickups have changed from dimarzio to seymour duncan so I can't comment on sound.

They now use floyd rose specials instead of floyd rose 1000s. Floyd 1000s are the same material and spec as the german original but made in korea, filling the quality gap between the special and original.

That's all I remember after playing and researching them a little.

They were just revealed at namm 2013, it will probably take a couple more months to reach retailers.

They have the Candy apple red 2013 So-Cal in stock at Sweetwater and it has the FR 1000 on it not a Special.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
They have the Candy apple red 2013 So-Cal in stock at Sweetwater and it has the FR 1000 on it not a Special.

Yeah, quite odd. I've seen and played 2 one had a 1000 and the other a special.

On the charvel site it says special.

Clearly something has been or must be changed
???