I have been playing guitar for 2 1/2 years and I mostly play metal [shocker!] Aside from exercises, I like to cover songs. Lately I have been working on technique and writing, but I would like to start learning new songs. Basically my question is would I benefit from learning Necrophagist [or any very difficult artists] at slow tempos and gradually increase, or should I play songs within my skill level at full speed with minimal practice needed? My best friend has been playing for almost 7 years and there is a big gap in skill level [of course] He always wants to jam songs way beyond my skill level. I try to learn them at slow tempos and its still challenging, but discouraging at the same time. I don't care for learning a bunch of simple songs that just chug chug chug. Quality over quantity right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
i'm not sure i'm qualified enough to answer your question in a way that would be beneficial to you, but i personally do enjoy learning hard songs that take a while to 'cultivate,' for lack of a better word.
If I had my 2 cents, I what you want to do myself. And it works to a point. I am sort of at August burns red level now, and I wanted to push up and do protest the hero and obscura, you know, tech stuff. So what I recommend, is learn the one or 2 riffs in a song more technical beyond your own. Everything you could manage without taking away from your own time to develop your skill. So like for the obscura example, I did most of the songs riffs because they are easy (the song is incarnated if you want to try). But for the solo, I decided not to get stuck on something I wouldn't be able to play for a long time.
If you find (trying to) play songs beyond your skill level discouraging, don't do it.
Work your way up, start with simple songs with easy solo's, practice them untill you nail them.
This way works at least for me (it doesn't feel like I'm practicing).
Say you're trying to get to 70mph in a car. Would you do it by going through gears 1 through 5 or shift to 5 right at the start?

Push yourself, but don't overreach. Trying to play something way over your skill level is definitely NOT quality. Would you think telling a halfway decent pianist to just start practicing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, and to just do it really slowly at first? Hell no.

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Aug 19, 2013,
Actually, yes, if you listen to any shred guitarist talk, their advice is to start slow and build up speed, it's the only way that you can cleanly play fast. ALWAYS start slow and build your way up, breaking it apart and playing slowly helps you figure out what's going on, on a musical level.

tl;dr It won't be above your skill level if you start slow and keep playing it, slowly building speed until you're at the right BPM. It's grueling, but it takes work to get reward.
Quote by Velcro Man
Actually, yes, if you listen to any shred guitarist talk, their advice is to start slow and build up speed, it's the only way that you can cleanly play fast. ALWAYS start slow and build your way up, breaking it apart and playing slowly helps you figure out what's going on, on a musical level.

tl;dr It won't be above your skill level if you start slow and keep playing it, slowly building speed until you're at the right BPM. It's grueling, but it takes work to get reward.

Just because you start slow doesn't mean things can't be above your skill level.

Over-reaching is counter-productive, because the amount of time and effort you need to put in to make any progress becomes grossly disproportional to the benefits. Setting yourself achievable, short term goals is the most effective way to progress, stuff that's challenging and outside your comfort zone, but not so difficult that you'll spend 6 months banging your head against a brick wall,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
True, but I didn't think he meant WAY over his head, some people tend to think things are much harder than the really are because they don't try to play them slow, first.
In fairness he did mention Necrophagist in his original post
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Not gonna lie...I just thought they were another generic death metal band with a bunch of fast power chords and such...LOOKS LIKE I WAS WRONG
Quite frankly they scare the crap out of me!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Learn to walk before you learn to run.
Walking is not running done very slowly.
Last edited by innovine at Aug 19, 2013,
Very helpful posts, thanks!
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige CL & LF
Ibanez RG7321 CL & LF
Schecter Blackjack ATX
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 Pod HD Pro - 4CM
I'd like to add a few things to this topic. First off, is that I think you are leaving out a few details. You never said anything about not playing the solo's, I would like to do the trade offs eventually but understand that won't happen until later. The riffs while demanding, I wouldn't say are way beyond your skill level. Seeing as we have actually played the song at 80-85 percent speed. Which I might add was only a few days after you learned the parts.

I understand if you don't want to play them but I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. It's not like you're playing it less than half speed and struggling to do so. If it's discouraging, then I'm sorry, that was not my intention. I was just trying to help push you forward and thought that it would help if there was a song that we had to work towards playing full speed.

Also, why do you have an 08 account?!
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 at Aug 20, 2013,
To an extent, it's a good idea. I'd recommend make a Necrophagist song a project, you learn it slowly, and now and then, you work on it a little, while playing things just above your skill level. Maybe start off getting a little more technical with some Hammerfall or maybe some Bullet For My Valentine, if that's more your thing. You always need to aim for your highest goal, but, you need ways to help bridge that gap. Necrophagist use some fairly obscure scales which may not give you the fundamental ability practicing more usual scales would, however, if you, over time, attempted to break apart and learn a song way above your skill level, one day you will do it, and you will feel so accomplished. I once spent about six months learning Rhapsody's Unholy Warcry, and it was worth it, and I became a much better played because of it.