I'm on the lookout for another guitar, you boys know the crack, can't have too many guitars. Searching high and low, so I'm wondering what the UG expert community recommends.

I mainly gig with Gibson SG and USA Strat. Obvious humbucker/ single coil tones depending on what type of song we're playing.

Anyway, that's the background. I'm looking to spend £600 to £1000 on a new axe. I'm a fan of second hand (if they are in excellent condition) but I'd not rule out brand new. So there's the budget.

I'm a sucker for the big boys, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Prs. So would prefer to stick around these boys.

Following specifications:

The guitar should have a tremolo, but preferably not floating (floyd rose).
The bridge should be a humbucker, but should be able to split to a single coil, middle should be single coil. I'm not fussed about neck, humbucker or single, not bothered.

I'm looking high and low for a guitar, at an affordable level that meets my needs.

I played on an ibanez premium over the weekend. But I've read bad reviews about the stock pickups. I want the pickups to be able to cut through the mix. But not as strong as an active EMG, for example.

Any advice from you cool people out there?
Quote by Maeblade

The guitar should have a tremolo, but preferably not floating (floyd rose).
The bridge should be a humbucker, but should be able to split to a single coil, middle should be single coil. I'm not fussed about neck, humbucker or single, not bothered.

You are pretty much describing a HSS Strat..
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Fair one, not played a hss Strat. Kind of ruled it out on basis that I feel it's a crime to have anything but single coils in strats.

Are the HHS as powerful as a humbucker?

Thanks dude, defo food for thought!
Quote by Maeblade

Are the HHS as powerful as a humbucker?

Assuming you mean "HSS".
Yeah they are as "powerful" as the humbuckers you put in there. I'd advise you to try some out if you have the possibility.
I mean...if you're used to a strat already it might not be a bad thing getting a similar guitar just with different tonal options.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Brilliant. Thanks pal. I'll check them out. Like I say, I ruled out stratocasters on basis that I've always suck my nose up to HSS, with no justifiable reason. I was looking deeper and deeper, but the answer was basic.
I'm a sucker for the big boys, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Prs. So would prefer to stick around these boys.

I have read this sentence, and I know you will get many suggestions for guitars from those makers. So I'll suggest others- ignore as you see fit!

GODIN
Freeway SA
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm
xtSA
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Those are quality axes- the only issue I really see is I don't think either of them have splittable HBs.

G&L
Legacy HB
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/legacy-hb/index.asp

Again, a quality axe...and re-reading the specs it DOES have a splittable bridge HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2013,
Thanks pal! I'll check them out. Shor has changed my mind in relation to HSS strats, so anything is possible.

I've fallen in love with a HSS strat I've seen online at my local music shop.
Quote by Maeblade
I'm a sucker for the big boys, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Prs. So would prefer to stick around these boys
I also read that sentence and can't help but ask: why?

Jacksons and Fenders for instance are nothing alike, so you obviously like all kinds of guitars. So then who cares if they're big brands? 'Cos for the price category you're looking at you're way more likely to stumble across superior quality guitars if you steer away from Fenders or Gibsons and, to a lesser degree, PRSes. If you can get a sweet deal on a tele or whatever by all means go for it, but as a general rule those guitars are overpriced if you compare 'em to similar models by manufacturers such as Musicman, Guild, ESP, Godin, Charvel, Hamer, Schecter, Peavey, G&L, Fernandes, LTD, Carvin, Hagstrom...

A few of these only produce high end guitars exclusively, but if you're into 2nd hand models you're guaranteed to stumble across some real gems. Also, I'm not a fan of Deans but Ibanez, Yamaha and Epiphone make some great instruments in virtually every prize category

Oh, and if you care to make things really interesting: see if you can find a hollowbody! I know most of 'em don't have spectacular quality bridges (a lot of bigsbys or similar tremolos are just too mediocre for my liking and locking tuners are a must) but other than that hollowbodies are just endless fun. I love how different they feel and sound and they're a great addition to your collection if you don't have one already

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by Maeblade
I'm on the lookout for another guitar, you boys know the crack, can't have too many guitars. Searching high and low, so I'm wondering what the UG expert community recommends.

You might want to take a look at a Variax -- in your case, perhaps the JTV-69.
I've just ordered my third Variax (I've got a Variax 500 and an Acoustic 700), the JTV 89F, and I'm on the lookout for the Variax 705 Bass.

The 69 is a Strat-type guitar, bolt neck and all, with a humbucker in the bridge position and two single coils. Standard non-Floyd trem, etc. New they run about $1400. But here's the rub. In addition to the magnetic pickups you're familiar with, the piezos in the bridge feed the Variax electronics, which give you another 24 modeled instruments, including teles, LPs, other strats, acoustic guitars, 12-strings, etc., and even resonator guitars, a banjo and an electric sitar. But wait, there's more. Want to play in DADGAD or a drop tuning? Turn a dial and you're in that tuning instantly; there are a bunch of alternate tunings built into the guitar, and you can customize it to include more. Singer not able to hit the high notes in a song you just spent days learning in the original key? Just rotate that dial a couple of clicks and you're now playing in a key several steps below the original. You're actually playing the song just as you learned it but what's coming out of the amp is what the singer needs, and there's no tension change on the strings at all (the guitar remains tuned to standard E through all of this). The single coil models play with no noise pickup from neon lights, etc. at all.

Definitely worth a look.
Made a mistake on the G&L and corrected it in my previous post- it DOES have a coil-split bridge HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!