I do not know what guitar I should buy (electric or bass). I do not know how to play the guitar or what equipment I need. I'm going to go to guitar center today to get help.

I want to play guitar rifts from songs like these:

(please click on song #2: Youth)
http://togetherpunk.bandcamp.com/album/of-life-and-love-and-some-things-in-between

( Guitar towards 00:18, even though I love the early bass guitar though!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8Ln7g28c

(Towards 00:47) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdW7Hbn7CiE

Question #1: Is this a good deal on craigslist?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3982457130.html

Question #2: What guitar should I buy (electric or bass)? I want something that is for beginners.

Question #3: Is this song primarily played by the bass guitar? (Song 10: Ode to A moment)
http://togetherpunk.bandcamp.com/album/of-life-and-love-and-some-things-in-between

One day I want to blend all these sounds with other bands in with a voice like terror but with a positive message.

THANKS!!
Last edited by xmax3x at Aug 19, 2013,
Apparently you need to post 5 times to be able to post links.

Guitar and bass are two different instruments. This forum is for guitars, so I'd guess you'd want a guitar.

If you give a budget we can suggest the best guitars in that price range.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Just tell us the song titles and we'll find them. You can't post links because you are a new user.

Bass and guitar are pretty different. Playing technique is the same but they have pretty different roles in songs.

There are no beginner guitars, there are just guitars. Yeah, some of the cheaper guitars are "more suitable" for beginners because for beginners sound isn't that important and they may not want to spend that much money on their instrument because they are not sure if they are going to continue playing it. But all guitars are suited for both beginners and professionals.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You need to decide if you want to play guitar or bass yourself. A bass is tuned in a similar fashion to a guitar, and the very fundamental mechanics of playing them is similar, but they play a radically different role in a band, and have an overall radically different sound. We cannot make that decision for you.

The first thing to do if you want to get started, whatever instrument you choose, is to go to a guitar store and play a bunch of them that you can afford. Than you can work out what you want from there. If you have a friend who already plays guitar and knows a bit about them, ask them to tag along with you.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 19, 2013,
Thanks, my question is finally updated with links.
Last edited by xmax3x at Aug 19, 2013,
So do you want to play guitar or bass?

They are both electric or acoustic. You don't see may acoustic bass guitars but they exist.

The fact you are asking 'electric or bass' makes me think you probably haven't thought about this too much just yet. If I were you, I should do a bit of research before shelling out any cash.
I think I want to get a electric guitar and a bass guitar because I love both sounds.
The links I posted have the guitar rifts at that certain time that that I mainy love and I think they are played by a electric guitar.
There is this school of thought that learning bass is easier than learning guitar. I always found that statement a little 'dangerous'. But I guess it's based on the notion that a regular bass comes with four strings vs. your regular guitar with six strings.

The bottom line is - as everybody else said before - you need to pick an instrument for now (bass or guitar); you can later on switch or play both. But for now you need to make a decision. Then, what's your budget? Also, considering your preferred genre, you probably want to get an amp rather sooner than later - and that too cost money.
I don't know a anything about that specific Ibanez model (the Ibanez I own is a AM200), but just judging by the pictures, it looks like a decent deal. However, at the end of the day it comes down to you getting over there and try it out for yourself. Make sure that you play that puppy first before you plunk any money down.
The sales associate recommended that I get a Ibanez RGR Series. The price is originally $450.00 but on sale for $379.00.
Im not sure if this is the same exact model, but it looks identical:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6917995281042030508?q=ibanez+rg+series&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS546US546&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=643&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.E_1kRF_UP4s.O&tch=1&ech=1&psi=r4QSUp8fqMraBY6vgfAG.1376952007174.3&sa=X&ei=xJ4SUuK5BvOO2gXR3IHoAQ&ved=0CKQBEPMCMAQ

I showed him the songs and bands that I wanted to sound similar too.
I wouldn't buy a halfstack, at least not right now. For that price you can't expect it to be very good. I would buy a modeling amp (an amp that mimics many different amps and also has built in effects and stuff - good for people who are new to guitar and aren't sure about their own sound - they give an idea of how the real things sound like and modeling technology is getting better and better all the time) like Peavey Vypyr (no experience with it but people recommend it a lot).

The Ibanez you may be looking for is RG321 or RGR321. The difference between them is normal vs reverse headstock (RGR stands for RG Reverse headstock). Again, no experience with it but I would expect it to be pretty solid guitar. Maybe buy it with a Peavey Vypyr 30. I actually think an Ibanez would fit you really well.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115