So I have an Orange 1x12 PPC112c idk if the "c" is important but it's a diff model from the PPC112, I think? It's just black to my knowledge instead of Orange, and apparently more compact?
Either way, I have a Tiny Terror head, which has two 8 ohm output's, and a 16 Ohm output... It says right on the back of my amp "Impedance: 16 Ohm", so I'm logically assuming I use the 16 ohm on the amp head.. But can I use 8? Or does 8 have an effect?
what impedance does it say on the back of your cabinet? that's the important one.

You can run your tiny terror head at either 8 or 16 ohms. You want it to match the cabinet's impedance.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RamblinMan2450
So I have an Orange 1x12 PPC112c idk if the "c" is important but it's a diff model from the PPC112, I think? It's just black to my knowledge instead of Orange, and apparently more compact?
Either way, I have a Tiny Terror head, which has two 8 ohm output's, and a 16 Ohm output... It says right on the back of my amp "Impedance: 16 Ohm", so I'm logically assuming I use the 16 ohm on the amp head.. But can I use 8? Or does 8 have an effect?

i will assume this is spec'd the same as a PPC112 as i can't/don't feel like finding info on a 'C' cab.

the way you want to hook this is up is to use the 16 ohm jack out of the back of the TT and use a speaker cable to connect it to one of the jacks on the PPC112.

can you use the 8 ohm out on the TT to use with the PPC112? i wouldn't advise it, the amp will work less efficiently. you'll want to 'match' the impedance from the head with the impedance provided by the cabinet.

if you get another PPC112, then you can hook both 1x12's to the 8 ohm jacks because two 16 ohm loads run in parallel is only 8 ohms.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Okay, easy enough. I just thought that I remember noting in GC that the same cab "PPC112" was plugged in at 8 ohms. But if it doesn't make a diff I don't care, just as long as I'm doing everything right and not blowing anything out.
yeah just because it was plugged in like that in GC, they could well have just made a mistake

yeah use the 16 ohm jack on the amp, assuming your cab is 16 ohm.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gumbilicious
i will assume this is spec'd the same as a PPC112 as i can't/don't feel like finding info on a 'C' cab.

the way you want to hook this is up is to use the 16 ohm jack out of the back of the TT and use a speaker cable to connect it to one of the jacks on the PPC112.

can you use the 8 ohm out on the TT to use with the PPC112? i wouldn't advise it, the amp will work less efficiently. you'll want to 'match' the impedance from the head with the impedance provided by the cabinet.

if you get another PPC112, then you can hook both 1x12's to the 8 ohm jacks because two 16 ohm loads run in parallel is only 8 ohms.

Thanks a bunch! And yeah, the amp coupling makes sense as to why there are two 8 ohm's with the TT. 0.0
Quote by gumbilicious
iif you get another PPC112, then you can hook both 1x12's to the 8 ohm jacks because two 16 ohm loads run in parallel is only 8 ohms.

Doesn't two 8 ohm cabs in parallel equal 4 ohms? He'd want to run two 8 ohm cabs in series to match 16ohms.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
^ I'll let Gumbi address since you were asking him and honestly he is one of the best speaker/cab/power guru on this board anyway.

In most cases (there are exceptions) when you add cabs together they are seen by the amp as a parallel load. This has to do with the way the taps are pulled out of the windings in the output transfer I believe. Remember, the lower the number the lower the resistance.
Quote by RamblinMan2450
Okay, easy enough. I just thought that I remember noting in GC that the same cab "PPC112" was plugged in at 8 ohms. But if it doesn't make a diff I don't care, just as long as I'm doing everything right and not blowing anything out.

i did make one assumption: that the PPC112c that you have is the same spec as a standard PPC112. i feel pretty confident in that assumption, but it could be wrong. i looked up PPC112c on google and didn't get anything immediately concerning regarding that assumption.

they did briefly make a PPC112 that was loaded with a G12K-100 (they also had/have a 4x12 with G12K-100's too, designated "HP"). these G12k-100 loaded cabs are actually 8 ohm cabs that are rated at 100 watts. but these cabs have the specs on the back plate:

the info you shared:

Quote by RamblinMan2450
It says right on the back of my amp "Impedance: 16 Ohm"

would lead me to believe this is a standard V30 loaded PPC112. their V30 cabs are pretty much exclusively rated at 16 ohms (they don't even make a standard 16 ohm version of the G12K-100)

Quote by Lavatain
Doesn't two 8 ohm cabs in parallel equal 4 ohms? He'd want to run two 8 ohm cabs in series to match 16ohms.

you are right, two 8 ohm cabs in parallel would be a 4 ohm load. but TS says the cab is rated for 16 ohms as per the back plate (see previous RamblinMan quote above).

if the cab was 8 ohms then he could buy some 'series' box to hook the speakers up in series for an 16 ohm load, but the vast majority of [mulit-]external cabinet connections are in parallel (there is a reason for this but i don't feel like going into it) so that is why my advice doesn't mention connecting the cabs in series.

edit:
@311 - you are right, if there are multiple connections/jacks on a single tap on the OT then they are almost always connected in parallel. also if you 'daisy chained' two cabinets together in series then the connection is significantly more complicated and requires more speaker cables. also if one of your cabs happens to fail, then both cabs would output nothing and the head may not see a proper load.

i guess i did end up going into why we use parallel connections over series when hooking multiple external speaker cabs.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 19, 2013,
Yeah the box that it came with said "PPC112", not even a "c", but I did order the C. If you look up on GC it'll give you two diff descriptions. I got it for the color mostly... But idk. It does say 16 on the back, and I've been playing through the 16, sounds delicious.... I probs don't need to know about the coupling thing until I buy another cab, which won't be for awhile, because gigs aren't exactly happening right now, but even if they were... What would be the point of coupling cabs, if the output is half? It would be the same as playing through the one cab, wouldn't it?
^ nah more speakers normally sound bigger
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RamblinMan2450
Yeah the box that it came with said "PPC112", not even a "c", but I did order the C. If you look up on GC it'll give you two diff descriptions. I got it for the color mostly... But idk. It does say 16 on the back, and I've been playing through the 16, sounds delicious.... I probs don't need to know about the coupling thing until I buy another cab, which won't be for awhile, because gigs aren't exactly happening right now, but even if they were... What would be the point of coupling cabs, if the output is half? It would be the same as playing through the one cab, wouldn't it?

dave gave the 'easy' answer, it is the one most people prefer. [some of] the longer answer is :

1) you can mix speakers
2) increases speaker projection area
3) makes you setup bigger and heavier and harder to move
4) [in most cases it can] increase the power handling of the speaker cab(s)
5) [usually] provides more low end

when you have multiple speakers operating at once you start introducing interesting wave interferences that have a tendency to bolster low end freqs (below a threshold freq).

i mainly run multi cabs or multiple speakers to create different tones by using different speakers.

-ae
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?