i was just wondering what everybodys opinion is on this as i really like the idea of having such a versatile instrument. tom searle from architects is doing it with a first act custom so why is nobody else?
Because mainstream metal bands don't like how they don't come with EMG's. Or Floyds.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Because they don't look the part + 2deepblue's post
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
There are guitarists in heavy metal and hard rock using semihollow and hollowbody guitars- Billy Duffy, Ted Nuent, Alex Lifeson, Ihsahn, Chris Poland, Troy van Leeuwen, Emil Werstler, etc.- but they're relatively rare.

Some more examples can be found here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/139129-semi-hollow-body-metal.html

IOW, go for it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2013,
I saw The Ocean live a couple weeks ago, their guitarist was using a semi-hollow and it sounded fine.

If you want to use one and play metal do it, just play whatever you are comfortable playing
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
You could always buy a semi hollow body and replace the pickups with EMGs or Seymour duncans and it could sound as metal as you desire. That's if you just want it for the look though. I've played many Gretchs and although they are excellent guitars they don't handle high gain stuff all that well. Im not sure about the epiphones and ibanezes.
Ben Weinmen, that is all.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.