Page 1 of 2

I just realised I haven't made a thread about the Doom movie in freaking years.

It's time to once again talk about this masterpiece of cinema, this glorious live-action addition to what just might be the greatest FPS of all times.

Hated by many, but those many people just could not comprehend the power and majesty behind the Rock's greatest performance.

Discuss.
...I always thought the BFG looked pretty cool.

Other than that, though... I find it odd that there wasn't anything demonic/Hellish related to the creatures. Wasn't it an alien parasite or just an infection? To me, that's part of the fabric of Doom, and it seems quite strange to drop it altogether. It did have a similar feel to Doom 3, though.
Quote by nincompoop
...I always thought the BFG looked pretty cool.

Other than that, though... I find it odd that there wasn't anything demonic/Hellish related to the creatures. Wasn't it an alien parasite or just an infection? To me, that's part of the fabric of Doom, and it seems quite strange to drop it altogether. It did have a similar feel to Doom 3, though.

Yeah, Hollywood execs feared the Christian right backlash if they had any religious elements in the movie, so they made it about parasites/zombies instead of hellbeasts.

Unfortunate, but understandable. It also gave them an excuse to turn the Rock into a monster, which was a nice addition.
Quote by Woffelz
A movie based on a game? No thank you.

Better than any game based on a movie.

Except the King Kong game on the PS2, that was dope.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yeah, Hollywood execs feared the Christian right backlash if they had any religious elements in the movie, so they made it about parasites/zombies instead of hellbeasts.

Unfortunate, but understandable. It also gave them an excuse to turn the Rock into a monster, which was a nice addition.

...No offense, but I don't really buy that at all. There are tons of Hollywood films released featuring religion and demons. A recent example off the top of my head--The Conjuring.
Quote by Todd Hart

That's not really saying much
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Never seen it

^ what about tomb raider
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by nincompoop
...No offense, but I don't really buy that at all. There are tons of Hollywood films released featuring religion and demons. A recent example off the top of my head--The Conjuring.

Well yeah, but how many of them are stupid pop-corn shoot 'em ups made for the sole reason of having guns and explosions?

In the game, you literally fight against mecha-satan. Maybe that was a little much?
Quote by nincompoop

The Christians accept The Conjuring because it claims it's based on a true story.

On which note, who the **** falls for that bollocks? It's got ****ing demons and ghosts in it, of course it's not based on a true story. It's like that film about abductions a few years back that claimed to be using real footage of people levitating above their beds and having their faces changed in demonic visages by aliens.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Well yeah, but how many of them are stupid pop-corn shoot 'em ups made for the sole reason of having guns and explosions?

In the game, you literally fight against mecha-satan. Maybe that was a little much?

Priest

Constantine

Max Payne (also a vid game lol)

Spawn

Legion
Knowledge is power
Quote by Todd Hart

I don't really like games based on movies either. The only two that I could stand were the second and third LOTR games for PS2 and even after a while, I ended up realised that it was just killing orcs and moving around.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
The Golden Compass is the best example of a fantastic plot (the novel is brilliant (and ****ing called The Northern Lights, not the shitty asswipe cuntcandle compass)) ruined by religious groups.
Meh point all of them sucked and Doom refraining from the bible stuff didnt seem to help. I certainly would have liked it better with cool mars demons and some connection between mars ,earth and the demon things going on and how it ties into heaven(earth)/Hell(mars).

just my plot idea.
Knowledge is power
it wasn't completely terrible but just like most other movies it was ruined because it needed to be an action movie. I'd much rather it have been super dark, with an awesome deep, dark, hellish cinematography. Like the games
Quote by Ninja#117
Meh point all of them sucked and Doom refraining from the bible stuff didnt seem to help. I certainly would have liked it better with cool mars demons and some connection between mars ,earth and the demon things going on and how it ties into heaven(earth)/Hell(mars).

just my plot idea.

Of course it would've been better. 90% of the complaints about the movie were "Wtf zombies?! Why not demons?!"

I completely agree with you, man.
There are no good film adaptations of games apart from Hitman.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Todd Hart
The Golden Compass is the best example of a fantastic plot (the novel is brilliant (and ****ing called The Northern Lights, not the shitty asswipe cuntcandle compass)) ruined by religious groups.

I was wanting to see this after reading the book series. Is it really that bad?

Only cool things from the doom movie were the the rock going evil badass and the BFG reference/use. The first person part was pretty much a self inflicted gunshot to the head for the movie.
Knowledge is power
It was the same zombies that were acting so terrifying and deadly only minutes before acting ******ed and going target practice for the main hero.

Hell even in Doom on harder setting they attack outright and are aggressive all these ones did was roar and then get blown away. It took the whole feeling of fear and unknown they had spent the movie building and made it a shooting type gallery scene.
Knowledge is power
But that was the point. Reaper was bitten, and turned super-human as a result. The whole FPS scene was to show how freakin badass Reaper had become as a result.
The first person sequence was great and anybody who doesn't like the film is naught but a hollowed out shell of a human being, a soulless corpse wandering the earth trying to fulfill it's unquenchable desire the ruin other people's fun.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
ehh to each his own it took me out of the movie and felt cheap.
Knowledge is power
Quote by Ninja#117
ehh to each his own it took me out of the movie and felt cheap.

No offense, but you were "in" the movie prior to it?

One thing I love about this movie so much is that they decided to use muppets and costumes, instead of CGI. I don't care how many texture layers you put on a 3D model, it won't ever look as good as a rubber suit.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 19, 2013,
YEah i was actually liking it in a cult classic chillin in the basement with some friends and some fire herbs kinda way.

I was waiting for the demonic references about how the parasite chooses who to infect. Never happened and instead i got a gimmick. Visually its pretty cool but it just made me shut down on the movies as a whole.
Knowledge is power
It sucked. Nobody bit the head off of a rabbit at the end.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by EpiExplorer

That movie was ****ing horrible. They changed everything about 47.

Doom was badass as all hell

Quote by Ninja#117

I was waiting for the demonic references about how the parasite chooses who to infect. Never happened and instead i got a gimmick.

It did choose who to infect...
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart

That explains why, after reading the book, I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie. (The previews just were odd to me, and I couldn't figure out why.) Also, the book was called "The Golden Compass" in North America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Compass

Still, I've never been keen on movies based on books. Look what Hollywood did The Running Man. They changed the plot completely...
To be honest I was kind of disappointed that the movie didn't end with you killing a spider mastermind or blowing up John Romero's head with a rocket launcher.

also, I have a strict "no Cyberdemon = no Rick" rule.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Hitman wasn't bad. It didn't really stick to the game's backstory at all, but other than that it was enjoyable in that brain dead summer action movie kind of way.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was, and still is, pretty awesome.
I have a deep affection for the Street Fighter movie just because it's so ****ing dumb.

I liked the first and second Resident Evil movies. Everything after 2 is complete shit, and really the only reason why I liked 2 is because of Sienna Guillory playing Jill and Oded Fehr playing Carlos.

Giant Bomb did a great video series about video game movies. If you want a good laugh, you guys should watch them. They cover pretty much every video game movie ever made (as of this time).

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/tang/?page=2
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Still better than Doom 3

I kid, Doom 3 was alright. I'm playing it again for the first time since 06 or so. I thought it (movie)was lame as far as tying into Doom itself goes, but 6 year old me still got scared like in the Sewer scene and when the imp comes flying around the corner and gets trapped in the door thing.

Only part that really reminded me of Doom was the FPS scene and getting the Beserk Pack. The BFG is based of Quake's BFG. They used the core enemies; Zombies, Imps, Hell Knight, and Pinkie demon, but no "flying totem indian heads", Mancubi, Revenants... I was really hoping for the full cast of the Beastiary there. Imagine seeing a mother****ing Arch Vile, that would have made for some spectacular display of special effects.

Also, Doom 4. Just cuz.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Todd Hart

You ever play Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? That game was amazing!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Page 1 of 2