I'm an old guy, and so like Stones songs from the early 70's. As I learn these, I find that while I can get the chords and the riffs down pretty well, I never quite get the sound. By that I don't mean the sound of the amp or pickups or strings. I mean the depth of the bass and the brightness of the treble.

On "Brown Sugar", for example, Richards gets a really deep bass-y sound when he's playing the first fret on the B, G and D strings. Yet when he's up on the same strings at the twelfth fret, they sound nice and bright, with no muting. Same thing on 'Gimme Shelter". The bass notes are so deep they have an ominous sound, yet the highs are clear and bright.

I can try three different amps (Peavey 15, Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Super Reverb), and can't get that much dimension in the sound.

I suspect that it's in the mixing, and that an equalizer is helping a lot. Am I right or not?
what guitar are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MIM Special Stratocaster with GHS strings (.010 to .048), and American Standard Stratocaster with GHS Rockers (.012 to .058). Pickups are Fender Fat 50's on the American Special and Klein Vintage 59 on the American Standard. I've used other strings and pickups as well.
ah ok. a tele is really the thing, but a strat shouldn't be a million miles away. that being said, a tele would be better, and you can't get the in-between tele setting on a strat (without modding its wiring, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In all honesty you're probably right about the mixing, the heavy bass is probably coming from the bass player.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The bright twangy sounds come from Keith Richard's tele in the bridge position and the warmer sounds parts are probably the neck and middle position pickups on a strat, maybe even a humbucker guitar. Just a lot of mids + bass. You can basically get the same sound as a tele with a strat, just select only the bridge and crank the treble up to 11
Last edited by Velcro Man at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by steven seagull
In all honesty you're probably right about the mixing, the heavy bass is probably coming from the bass player.

yeah probably
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?