So I have been playing guitar for about 9 years. I like to play a lot of metal and shred, but would definitely like to become more of a well rounded guitarist so an amp that is slightly versatile would be nice. However not nearly as important as getting a great high gain tone.

My Current gear is

90's Epiphone les paul
Esp ltd dj-600

Crate Flexwave 120w/2x12
Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal

I Plan on getting rid of my pedal and amp, but keep the guitars. I can't get a decent tone out of them and I can't take playing through that setup anymore. Some of the bands I listen to are Parkway Drive, COB, Trivium, The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero. So I would like to be able to emulate something in that realm of tone. Although I have been learning some Jason Becker, Malmsteen and other stuff lately so it would be cool if it could handle that too. I plan on sticking with a combo because realistically I won't be gigging anytime soon. My only other concern is that it sounds decent at low levels, but can handle jamming with friends and be heard over the drums.

After plenty of research I have pretty much Narrowed it down to a Peavey 6505+ 112. I just can't decide on what to go with for some pedals. I was thinking a Maxon OD808 to boost it and an ISP Noise Decimator to quiet it down. The only things I'm worried about with 6505+ is will it handle bedroom level well and will the noise decimator be able to get rid of the screech I hear this amp has at anything over 5 without killing the tone?

So will a 6505+ ran through a Maxon OD808 and an ISP Noise Decimator handle the high gain and silence most of the Background noise? Is this a decent setup?

My budget is around $1000 give or take a little. I can spend a little more if needed because I would rather spend more for quality within reason.
Last edited by guitargod123 at Aug 19, 2013,
What you suggested actually sounds like a perfect set up. I was going to suggest that, even without the boost. But the boost could help for sure.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
The problem with the 6505 combo is that you can't run a JJ ECC803 tube in it because they are prone to microphonics. The 803 is a low noise tube. I would recommend that you buy the head version for this reason. If you run low noise tubes (you only really need one in V1) you probably won't need the Decimator.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Absolutely get an EQ and put it in the loop. The MXR 10 Band is pretty much the standard, but the Danelectro Fish and Chips is also a good pedal that is worth so much more than it costs.

Either of those EQs will let you use the 6505 at bedroom volumes - turn the level sliders down, and they will give you more usable control over your amp's volume know. The EQ has to be in the loop for this to work though, keep in mind. Your noise gate should also be in the loop. It won't do anything in front of the amp besides quiet guitar/pedal noise, which isn't directly the problem. I can't deny the popularity of the ISP, but I can suggest that you look at the Boss NS-2 as well. It's one of my favorite pedals, I've been through multiple and they always serve me perfectly. I've never experienced any sort of tone degredaton or notable alternation at all from them. The thing that's great about the NS-2 is that you can use it as a single pedal to run in front of your amp and in the loop at the same time. So it will help control your guitar/pedal noise as well as your amp noise. Alternatively you can just run two. This will give you a little more control as you can set different thresholds, as needed.

I would personally skip the Maxon OD808, but if you've tried it yourself and you like it, it's obviously a tried and true piece. This is a blog I wrote about using overdrives as boosts, you may find interesting and may want to check out some more stuff first:

There are two basic flavors of overdrive commonly used to boost the front of a tube amp: your basic Tubescreamer, and your SD-1 (asymmetrical variant). The TS tends to smoothen your gain out, while the SD-1 tends to give your gain more grit. That's the basic gist of the difference.

On the TS side, you have your Maxon and Ibanez Tubescreamers, which are the originals. But nowadays there are other derivatives that do the job a lot better, IMO.

MXR GT-OD - most basic; 3 knobs like a regular TS.
Digitech Bad Monkey - basic, but has a knob to control bass frequency, which puts it way above a normal TS.
Hardwire CM-2 - Basically a higher quality Bad Monkey. Feels better, sturdier, sounds richer/more harmonic. Nice pedal.
Way Huge Green Rhino - lots of tone shaping options, this is a very popular pedal, lots of options to dial in exactly what you need.

On the SD-1 side, there's:
MXR M77 - Basically just a higher quality SD-1 with more tone shaping controls. They sound very very similar when used as a boost. I own both and did A/B comparisons to choose which to use. The MXR won the spot on my board.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET - Very nice pedal with some unusual tone shaping features, like changing the gain structure a little, etc.. Has a regular OD side, as well as a boost side. AFAIK there aren't any single pedals with just the OD side, but that side is your SD-1 variant. I haven't tried this one personally yet, so I cant' say much about it.

And that's just some mass produced stuff. When you enter the boutique range, there are tons and tons of pedals out there. Most of them sound great, you can wade through them for a while. And then after that, there's people here who can build you your very own TS to be exactly what you want. And it could be one of a kind. The TS is one of the most basic pedals out there, and there really are a lot of alternatives to Maxon and Ibanez.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The problem with the 6505 combo is that you can't run a JJ ECC803 tube in it because they are prone to microphonics. The 803 is a low noise tube. I would recommend that you buy the head version for this reason. If you run low noise tubes (you only really need one in V1) you probably won't need the Decimator.

To counter this I'd suggest the 5150 III, which I've done for the second time today. Specifically the mini version, 50 watts. I think it's great and can definitely nail those 6505 and 6505+ tones as well as being slightly more versatile in my opinion.

On a second thought Cathbard, would the 803 tube be a good recommendation for this amp? I might try it myself.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
The JJ ECC803 is a fantastic tube. Has all the midrange of their ECC83S but also a bit more sparkle in the top end, and of course, low noise. Like I said though - not for combos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well Now I'm all sorts of confused. Sounds like the peavey isn't my choice now. I watched some videos on the 5150 III and it sounds incredible. Like holy crap incredible. I'm willing to drop the dollar on that. Is that a low noise tube in the 5150 III? Should I need any other pedals like the isp, Maxon or anything to quiet it down or get those tones? Sounds pretty damn good from the demo's I heard without the pedals. Anything comparable to that with a low noise tube or is the 5150 III the best I'll do? I shouldn't need an attenuator pedal since that amp has one built in too it seems.
The only amp I know of that comes with JJ ECC803 tubes stock are 65 amps. They're only $20 so there's no reason you can't fit one to any head out there, including the EVH. Apart from boutique amps you should always factor in the fact that it will have shit tubes that would be best replaced. Forget about what tubes they come with out of the factory. All mass produced amps have shit quality tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The only amp I know of that comes with JJ ECC803 tubes stock are 65 amps. They're only $20 so there's no reason you can't fit one to any head out there, including the EVH. Apart from boutique amps you should always factor in the fact that it will have shit tubes that would be best replaced. Forget about what tubes they come with out of the factory. All mass produced amps have shit quality tubes.

EVH 5153 comes stock with jj tubes. Ecc83 and 6l6s. If you don't believe that it's on their website. I also have one myself and can doubly confirm that.

TS, the amp doesn't have an attenuator built in, but it has a great volume control that will sound good at low volumes still. It doesn't come stock with the low gain tube, but they are good quality JJs. I don't need a boost for mine, I use an eq in the loop to tighten things up just a little more but it doesn't need it, nor the extra gain from a boost.
Last edited by Lavatain at Aug 19, 2013,
Quote by Lavatain
EVH 5153 comes stock with jj tubes. Ecc83 and 6l6s. If you don't believe that it's on their website. I also have one myself and can doubly confirm that.

Really? I stand corrected. Thanks for that.

Still, what's in it stock isn't a big deal, you'll end up experimenting with tubes anyway - if you care about your tone. Nice to start with good tubes to begin with though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually the new 212 combo has a attenuator built in that changes the amp from 1 watt all the way up to 50 watts. Completely separate from the volume controls. I think I found my amp. That thing sounds incredible.
Quote by Cathbard
Really? I stand corrected. Thanks for that.

Still, what's in it stock isn't a big deal, you'll end up experimenting with tubes anyway - if you care about your tone. Nice to start with good tubes to begin with though.

Just another thing that made me love the amp, as I didn't have to fork out to get the best out of the amp from the start when I knew absolutely nothing about tubes.

Quote by guitargod123
Actually the new 212 combo has a attenuator built in that changes the amp from 1 watt all the way up to 50 watts. Completely separate from the volume controls. I think I found my amp. That thing sounds incredible.

You're right, but the head version doesn't and I assumed the combo version was outside of your budget. If it's within budget then by all means go and try it out. Or just buy it. That's what I did for my head haha. Just ordered it knowing I'd love it and it exceeded my expectations.
It's not really within budget, but it looks incredible so I'll get it. I have the money. Just didn't want to spend that much. Is yours pretty quiet as far as feedback and hum goes or should I pick up an isp decimator with that?
Quote by guitargod123
It's not really within budget, but it looks incredible so I'll get it. I have the money. Just didn't want to spend that much. Is yours pretty quiet as far as feedback and hum goes or should I pick up an isp decimator with that?

Seriously dude, you won't need anything but a bit of reverb & delay. No need for a noise gate. I had a 100W 5150 III for a year, & absolutely loved it, but sold it because it was too big to gig with (now they have the 50W, thank God), but i already have 3
other rigs that do VH as good or better, believe it or not. I can't say enough great things about the 5150 III amps. I will get another one someday, I guarantee that! Just for fun Mainly because you can get just about ANY sound or tone you want from the 100W version, WITHOUT PEDALS!!!
I have some clips of the beginning of VH's "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" in my profile somewhere using the 5150 III w/ a touch of delay & reverb, otherwise straight in, no boost, no EQ, no bullshit, in case you want to hear it first hand.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Found a used 5150 III combo on musicians friend listed for $960 today and bought it immediately. I can not wait. Thanks for the recommendation!
Quote by guitargod123
Found a used 5150 III combo on musicians friend listed for $960 today and bought it immediately. I can not wait. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nice deal, I was going to recommend looking used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate