Hey folks,
I'm shopping for a new guitar. I have a sage series Ibanez now. I want to upgrade a little. My budget is 300.00.
I am considering a Yamaha fg730s and an epiphone dove. They are both 300.00.
I wish the epiphone didn't have the electronics but they might be fun to play with.
aside from the electronics, which would be the best quality,best sound,best bang for the buck?
I thank you for your time.

Henry t
both good choices. i think the Yammie edges it out because of it's consistant quality.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Having a pickup can come in handy, but if you can get a chance to play both to see how they feel and sound, you could make a better decision.
Quote by henry t
...[ ]....I am considering a Yamaha fg730s and an epiphone dove. They are both 300.00.
I wish the epiphone didn't have the electronics but they might be fun to play with.
aside from the electronics, which would be the best quality,best sound,best bang for the buck? ....[ ]....
You could also stir the Yahama FGX-700 into the mix. It has a solid top, and I doubt the difference in sound between it and the 730 is life changing.

The forum is pretty split on the topic of whether you should buy with electronics. IMHO, buying an acoustic without electronics is a fool's errand. It usually turns into a big regret, and you can do a lot of sound sculpting with simple effects such as reverb, delay, and chorus.

Turning your living room, a normally crappy sonic environment, into a spacious cathedral is almost possible with amp and effects.

An acoustic only guitar is largely at the mercy of its location with respect to the quality of sound it can produce.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 19, 2013,
i'm perfectly happy without electronics, but a cutaway can come in handy. that being said, i liked my yamaha FG730, and the FGX700 doesn't sound quite as good to me unplugged, but it's fairly close and the FGX700SC can be had for the same price and gives you that little extra reach plus you can plug in.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thank you all for the insight,

Still undecided but leaning towards the epiphone.

Thanks again,

Henry t
Quote by henry t
Thank you all for the insight,

Still undecided but leaning towards the epiphone.

Thanks again,

Henry t

really? not one person here that you asked chose the epi !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
some of the epiphones around your budget can be good, but make sure you get a good sounding/playing one. I've played quite a few that just didnt cut it for that price range (i know, its not a high-end price range, but there were better for that range).

Yamaha's guitars always seem to impress me at whatever budget i've played their gear on. I bought a used LL6 some years ago that blew me out of the water with the tone that thing put out, and it wasn't pricey at all (just around your price range if I'm correct.)

But, to remain cliche, everyone's tastes differ - go play them both, maybe some others in the price range. Get the one that connects to you the most. If you think youre gonna end up saying "maybe i should have just gotten the other one..." then the other one is probably the one you should have bought.